Search

Is Phuket to rainy in Sept???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Phuket to rainy in Sept???

Hi again!
I need more help with my ever changing itinerary.
I plan to arrive in BKK on Sept 2nd for about 3-4 days and then onto Phuket to use as a base for a few days.
I plan to see PHI PHI and Krabi and try and get down towards Langkawi and Penang during the first part of my trip. Any info on this would be much appreciated.
After about a week and a half visiting BKK and all these other places I plan to Chill on a beach for 8 days before heading back. I planned on heading towards KOh samui but if people think Phuket would be the same climate wise, I might not bother.
Please help I'm at a stage where I must start getting it together.
Thanks,
Oisin
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:55 AM

September is 'still' rainy season, last week in Phuket for a couple of days it was dry, glorious sunshine, perfect, but I also remember years back being flooded out knee deep in Patong at the same time of year, so you take a chance, you could be lucky and have clear days or you could hit a bad patch of weather.

You can easily get to Phi Phi and krabi, for Langkawi you have to go by road down past krabi to Satun near Trang and take the boat, in all honesty although I think Langkawi is very nice scenary wise you are not going to see or enjoy 'anything' that you cannot find in Phuket/Phi Phi/Krabi area, personaly just not worth the trip.
With 3-4 days you migth squuze in a day trip to Phi Phi or Krabi but there will be plenty to do to fill your time on Phuket.

If it rains head to a Spa and have a great massage!

Samui climate totally different to Phuket! Samui is relatively dry September.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

James,
What do you think of Penang for food? I hear it is amazing and well worth the trip??
So for a safer bet, Samui in Sept?
Also if it rains in Phuket, sure cant I just head to Samui for the rest of the holiday? How does one get to samui from Phuket, can you fly??
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, thanks for the advice so far!!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:08 AM

Phuket to Samui is 40-45 minutes with Bangkok Airways or by road 4 hours to Surat Thani then boat across to Samui.
Well, Penang has some great Malaysian Curries but honestly I would not go there for that, seafood wise I think Thailand is better and you can also find lots of Malaysian dishes also in Thailand plus of course Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc etc, I would say that Phuket has more amazing restaurants than Penang.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks James.
I'm going to put together my Itinerary today and post here. If you get a chance you might have a look and tell me what you think. Also anyone who has an opinion it would be most welcomed as this will be my first trip to Thailand and I want to do it right.

Oisin
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:46 AM

We were in Phuket a few years ago in September and only had two of five days with a brief shower in the afternoon. On the other hand, we were went to Hua Hin in June 2004 because the weather is supposed to be better on the east side that time of year and it rained quite a lot. So, you take your chances with the weather and hope for the best.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:37 AM

I wish there was an edit feature to correct mistakes. I meant to say either we went to Hua Hin or we were in Hua Hin, not we were went to Hua Hin.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Richard.
I seem to be hearing that a lot.
I think I'm going to head down to Phuket on AirAsia (Asiaair?) and see for my self.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
My itinerary is as follows:
2nd Sept arrive BKK
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th Sept Leave BKK for Phuket
7th Sept arrive Phuket
8th
9th
10th
11th Sept Leave for Koh Samui
12th
13th
14th
15th
16th
17th
18th Leave Koh Samui for BKK and Return flight home.
What do you think?
Should I change the duration of stay in any of the locations?
Also I need help with what to do, while in BKK for the 4-5 days that We'll be there. I have a few ideas but could do with some sugestions. I'm thinking of hiring Ratt for a day anyway.
Please help,
Oisin