rhkkmk - Did you get to Gallery Cafe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious, did you get to the Gallery Cafe for dinner? Did you like it? Have you been to the Tara Thong? It looks so pretty on the hotel website.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:30 PM

I'm sure Bob will answer you when he gets a chance. I believe his next trip isn't for a few months yet.

I eat at the Tara Thong each time I'm in Bangkok. It's one of the prettiest restaruant settings in the city. Their food is also excellent.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:42 PM

i'm too busy getting mad at the person who wrote those awful things just above about thai problems!!!!!

no i don't go until may 22....i'm just trying tonight to get my seat reservations (row 63---the best on nwa 747---a two seater with room to stand up next to the window...

tell me about this other restaurant--tara thong...i don't know it...where is it and what is it all about...i just worked on my restaurant schedule earlier tonight, until i nearly drove my wife over the edge...

incidently today i also got a priceline award for 2 nites at the shangri-la for $65 per nite...i'm thrilled....

i did have dinner two weeks ago tonight with gpanda who introduced gallery cafe to this web site....we went to a thai restaurant outside boston, which could just as well have been in bkk....full of thais when we left with not a seat available...good food too...a bit more pricey than bkk, but not much...
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:53 PM

i found it---spelled incorrectly---must have been me who did the typing---thara thong...it is in the sheraton orchid hotel----kathie probably has her breakfast delivered to the towers from there??????
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:22 PM

Nah, no breakfast at the Thara Thong. It's lunch and dinner only, lovely Thai food. It overlooks the river. I usually go at lunch time.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:25 PM

meet you there tomorrow at 12:15 for a fodors get together??

bob
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Kathie and Bob: Love reading all you both have to offer. K - I picked up the Tara Thong idea from you. By the way, I live on Mercer Island. I understand you are a Seattlite. Small world!

Would you mind if I pick your brains further?

Have either of you been to Koh Kret? How far from the city? Worth the trip for a quiet diversion?

This will be my fourth time in Bangkok but always only for a couple days en route to a beach vacation. (This year the Pimalai.) I am responsible for organinzing things to do for four of us (friends, 60ish, Chinese,living in Hong Kong) and myself (40s) and my husband (60s.) We like to be relaxed and know we will return. But I also need to have a little organization. We have done most of the usual things. But we have missed the flower market (though have been to the one in Hong Kong at least 10 times - any comparison?), the barge museum and the Teak Palace. And though we have been to Wat Po, we have never had a massage there. (Is it true you can have your fortune told there as well?) We always like to make an offering at the Erawan at least once.

My thoughts:

Day One:
We arrive late afternoon and will check into the Peninsula (Sorry K- have always wanted to try the Pen...) and relax (Coming from Hong Kong. We will have spent a week in China and will be adjusted.)
Boat to Royal Orchid to poke around in the shopping complex there before 7:30 P dinner at the Tara Thong.
(Should we taxi to Erawan after dinner or do next day?)

Day Two:
Breakfast at Pen.
Boat taxi to Barge Museum. (Plan 45 mins to look around?)
Boat to (?) pier, walk to flower market, a little amulet shopping, onto Ban Baat area (is this reasonable walking?)
Head over to Wat Po(taxi?), fortune and massage OR should we go to the Teak Palace for a short visit and then have a massage. I have the names of three independent massage parlors in the Silom area (from this forum - Marble House, Siam Sawasdee or Ruen Nuad - any info?) that we could go to instead of Wat Po. I worry that the Wat Po is not air conditioned and the timing might be right in the heat of the day. Also, my girlfriend is a little funny about cleanliness and I don't know how comfortable she would be. Any advice?
Boat back to Pen for a late "lunch" of high tea (included in our package)
Rest by pool late afternoon for an hour
Boat across river
Taxi to Erawan(unless we do night before)
Taxi (not sure where this restaurant is in relation to shrine)to Bed Supperclub for dinner (Pen made reservation 7:30, maybe we'll stay to hear some music. Our friends had heard about this restaurant from a friend in Hong Kong. A lot of buzz over there about this place. What the heck...)
Taxi (and/or boat)home to bed.

I know I have thrown a lot at you and probably it reads a little crazy. Thanks for working through my ideas.

My only other desire is to go to Narai Phand but I don't know where it is and where I could fit it in.

The next day we leave for Krabi.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

Sue
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:16 AM

it all looks very reasonable to me...the teak palace is really very nice....i would allow about 2 hours for it and the grounds, more of less...it is very near the parliament building nd the zoo....the zoo is very nice and a pleasant walk around, even in the heat...lots of shade...we spent 2 hours

we take taxis (and skytrain) everywhere to keep cool and this allows us to better appreciate what we have gone to see....we do walk alot when we get to the sights or through alleys and streets, however.....we are 60 so don't have as much energy as some of the younger posters....we would fit in with your group...

what is koh kret....i have never heard of it....should i???

i hope you won't be disappointed with the barge museum....you can not go inside....you have to stay outside the shed and just peer through the fence...it is worthwhile, but not fabulous...both times that we have done it, was at the end of a long boat klong tour through thornburi....have you done that???? that is really worthwhile for about 2-3 hours....they also will take you to wat arun, which is very worthwhile...the penn will arrange for a boat to come pick you up at their pier and it would be quite reasonable for your group....you pay per hour for the boat...we paid 700B in 1998 for two hours...i think the going rate is 300-400B per hour if you rent from near oriental pier....the marriott got our boat for us and the bellman helped us in to it,,,,if you haven't done this, it is a highlite of any trip to bkk....you see the life along the klongs, the museum, lunch if you want (questionable) and it proves a real look into bkk life...by having the hotel get the boat for you it eliminates the necessity of having to bargain for the boat rate....you will get a decent rate with no hastle....the drivers sometimes try to stretch out the ride so as to make more money...watch for that and ask them to go faster, when they are in the open water....sometimes you may get a little splash so be prepared....we wear long pants and shirts....

if you have more questions, ask away...i will be online this evening again...
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:35 AM

Yes, we are almost neighbors! I live in Magnolia.

You have your time pretty well planned, kismet. I go to the Erawan shrine each time I'm in Bangkok, but at midday. I combine a trip to the shrine with lunch at the Thai restaurant in the Grand Hyatt, next door.

The flower market is best seen in the very early morning, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it at that time of the day.

I've never done a massage at Wat Po. I have heard that there are air-conditioned areas for massage. If your friend is worried about cleanliness, why not call Wat Po, and have the massages at your hotel?

Have a great time. I always have more ideas of things I'd like to do than time, but it means I have a list for the next trip.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:37 AM
epi

We are going to Bangkok in 2 weeks and I asked about Gallery Cafe. I am confused because we are staying in the Sheraton and will definitely go to the Tara Thong for dinner. We loved it when we were there a few years ago. We only have one other night for dinner because we are just there for two days to get over jet lag before a 3 week tour. So, I am between Harmonique and Gallery Cafe. We will probably look at both and decide.
I liked hearing about RHKKMK's deal. Ours, straight from the Sheraton website, is $75 per night for a junior suite. We are your age, and this is an incredible senior rate. We could have had a regular room for $65, but figured for $10 per night, we could be sports.
When we return from our trip, I'll report on Gallery Cafe or Harmonique, whichever we end up at. We too are from the Boston area. Which Thai restaurant were you describing near Boston? We've eaten in many here, but are always happy to hear of a great one.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 01:38 PM

epi...we are from needham, west of boston if you know it along 128...the restaurant is in brookline on harvard street between beacon and commonwealth...on the right when heading towards comm ave from beacon...it is about 1/2 way and is near the two famous jewish bakeries...i do not have the name...sorry...gpanda on this forum will give it to you if you request it...

that's a great sheraton rate...i have not seen anything like it on their site...i shall look...

i do like harmonique and only know of gallery from gpanda's post....i have it (gallery) on my schedule for the first nite of my may trip....i do not think either is "memorable", just plain good thai food....

where in boston are you from??

kathie---which restaurant in the hyatt is it that you always go for the "all you can eat" lunch?? is it a buffet and is it every day or just weekdays...

thanks

bob
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 02:35 PM

i checked out the sheraton rates and i can get a jr suite also for june for a couple of nites at $75......now i will finally know the sheraton from upstairs, instead of just from the lobby level...
kathie---now we can compare turkey to turkey....bet you $5 the penn is still better???
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:39 PM

Hey, Bob, I'm sure the Pen is better for regular rooms and jr. suites. What I like is a suite in the Towers which gives full breakfast, drinks and canapes each evening, and free laundry (6 pieces per day per person), plus personalized service all for the price of a room at the Pen. I only eat out one meal a day (lunch) because of all the food provided.

The restaurant in the Grand Hyatt is the Thai restaurant on the 5th floor. Sorry, I don't seem to have recorded the name in my journal. It has an order from the menu "buffet" (last time I was there, they called it a "tasting menu&quot at lunch time. It wouldn't hurt to call ahead, as I don''t know if it is every day of the week. Also, last time we were there the Rotary Club had reserved the whole place, so we had to go elsewhere.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:44 PM

kathie---i just went looking in my thai back-up folder for my note from your previous mention of the hyatt and i found a note about a buffet at the regent on sunday...is that from you?? what's the story on it??
bob

ps i did the reservation for the sheraton....jr suite @$75 with no breakfast....not in towers i'm sure...we are never in the hotel so i don't know why i spend so much time on it....
incidently we will really have lots of hotel exposure this trip: marriott resort and spa bkk--5 nites; rama gardens--2 one nite stays; peninsula 3 nites; shangri-la two nites, anantara golden triangle 3 nites, plus 8 nites in bali at bali hyatt and 4 nites in koh samui at peace resort...
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM

Sorry, Bob, I don't know anything about a buffet at the Regent.

You'll have lots of places to review for us when you get back!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:39 AM

epi-The restaurant in Brookline,MA is called Dok Bua. We've been there three times on a Saturday night. I suggest getting there by 6:30 p.m.. It's very reminiscent of BKK. Bob's directions were perfect. I have a vague memory that it is at 411 harvard Street, the street is definitely correct, but the number is somewhat suspect.

We liked Gallery Cafe better than Harmonique, but only slightly. You will like either.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Dear Fodor Friends (and Neighbors,)

Thanks for your help. I leave next week and these ideas put the finishing touches on my plans.

I will plan to write when I return and we can compare experiences.

Bob, went to RISD in 1980. Reading about Boston brings back happy memories. Nice to "meet" you and thanks. - Koh Kret is an island 25 km outside of the city where they make pottery. Can't find out too much more than that but did a search on this site and one person wrote a little about going a while back. I may inquire at the Pen. concierge desk as my friends are interested in getting away from it all for a while. They live in Hong Kong and like getting into the country a little. We have done the local canal tour and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for that thought. What time did you go to the flower market, do you remember. I think I will do this first thing after breakfast and possibly skip the barge museum. Your trip sounds busy. We stayed at the Anantara in Hua Hin two years ago in their lagoon rooms which were very beautiful. Of course, we loved the Manadara spa there too.

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:03 AM

Kismet-The New York Times Travel section had an article about Ko Kret last year. We planned on going last November, but it escaped. We look forward to your report on its charms.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:28 AM

i found a great site for koh kret:
http://www.bangkoksite.com/Nonthabur...ret1.htm....we will definatel do this...
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:44 AM
epi

RHKKMK,
Happy to hear you are trying the Sheraton. No, it is not club level, but the size of the rooms sounds great. We enjoyed the royal orchid last time, particularly the full window wall over the river. Hope you like it.
Thanks for the name of the Thai restaurant Gpanda. We will try it when we have time.
We live in Lexington, so not far at all from you, Rhkkmk. This thread has really gone all over the place, but fun stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -