Where are Dogster's topics?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worried about him and questioning why his reports have disappeared. His reports have been the most interesting travel reports I have read. I miss reading his adventures, plus I am concerned wether or not he is over his illness.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM

Dogster's reports are still here. Just click on his name and you'll get a list of has posts. He just responded to NYwoman's post on Thailand and Myanmar, so click on his name there.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM

But his Tamil Nadu post is gone. I asked the same question as Elainee on his Madurai post.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM

I asked Fodor's why they were gone,Fodor's said that the poster had asked that they be removed.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM

Dogster, explain yourself!
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 02:51 PM

Dogster did say he had asked for one post in that thread to be deleted.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM

I'm as mystified as everyone else, but just accept that 'that's the way it is'.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Chennai:

O.K. - I'll try and explain. I may not have been the full quid when I deleted the post - but that's only part of it.

Health: It's only last night that I managed to eat properly [as opposed to sending revolting food back in revulsion] for the first time since 'The Event of The Roast Chicken'. Yes, I know I said I was recovered but I was merely surfacing, not swimming.

As you don't know, I was pesticided In The Worst City In India. That's a story I'll tell later, but it has rendered me highly sensitive to chemicals, disinfectants, petrol, pollution and pretty much everything that lives in the air in India. I know that the green gunge that lives in my lungs will go. Day by day it is.

To be continued from the restaurant.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Sorry you are so sick, dogster. If it were me - and I'm glad it isn't - I'd get myself to Bangkok ASAP and check into Bumrungrad.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, dogster, that sounds really grim. I agree with Kathie - maybe time to bail for some medical care (although good care is available in India too - I seem to remember reading that medical "tourists" are going to Delhi for heart surgery) and I hope you're in a comfortable hotel now.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 08:09 AM

So, after my pestification, I had a terrible cough.

Confused, desperate fool that I was, in Mumbai, I went to the pharmacy. Those who've been to India will know that this is just a front for the distribution of illegal, legal drugs.

'I have a cough,' I said blithely, demonstrating my bestest, rankest coughlet for the troops.

'Take this,' they said gaily, handing me a sweet little bottle of more poison. So I did.

Well, the cough went away - replaced, as I realise now, by discreet lunacy, strange lurches from narcolepsy to wide-awake-olepsy, sudden rushes of emotion; temple tears to wild anger - mostly anger and a very odd fascination with the Temple Elephant in Madurai.

Of course, I had no idea any of this was going on.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Wow, a salutary lesson. I too hope you are on the road to recovery and also suggest a posh hotel for a while. If that doesn't work it may be bailing-out time. Lots of best wishes...
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Dog is bouncing off invisible walls by now, convinced the world has gone mad, not him. I'm on my own, guzzling jungle boogie-ju-ju opium cough medicine, lost in deepest, dullest Tamil Nadu. The last thing I really remember are the big, pink, twin tunnels of seduction in the trunk of the Special Elephant of Madurai.

I must have fallen in.

So off to Dindigul to meet my nemesis; The Roast Chicken of Death.

Things got noticeably worse.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM

In rapid succession, lurching like a lunatic from hotel to hotel:

One night meeting The Chicken.

An abrupt change of plans and a decision to drive 4 hours to Tanjore. My driver, not surprisingly, abandoned me and fled.

A night dumped in the Hotel Olympia, Tanjore. Two nights at Hotel Gnanam, Tanjore. Did I see the World Famous Temples of Tanjore? No.

Did I check out and lurch, inexplicably to Pondicherry? Yes. How many hotels did I stay at in Pondicherry? Three. What did I find I liked in Pondicherry? Nothing.

Somewhere around here I had the creeping revelation that the problem might not be just in every restaurant, every hotel and every crap meal I had in Tamil Nadu - hey, I think it might be ME.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM

At about this point I had the post deleted.

Does that partially answer the question?

lol lol lol.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Dogster-it's never you. It's a vast conspiracy. Here in the states, it goes back and forth between a conservative conspiracy and a liberal conspiracy depending upon the moon. In India, there may be a different set of conspiracies, but they certainly exist. Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean that they are not out to get you. Just put one paw in front of the other. Never sit up and beg.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Relieved to hear that you have cheated death by roast chicken and have lived to post again.

My son had a terrible food-borne illness in central coastal Vietnam and was horrifyingly sick so I can imagine the ordeal you have endured both in becoming ill, and then perhaps suffering through some iatrogenic "help" (not to mention the toxic effects of fumigation).

I hope you are feeling much better by the day.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Get thee back to Australia for a dose of "reality" and decent medicine, I say. This is serious.
The sickly, feverish, LSD-like scenarios were very entertaining, tho.
Get better soon.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM

heh, fantastic reply Gpanda. My great problem is that I always bite first, not beg.

Now, you'd think Blind Freddy and his three-legged dog would have realised what was going on - this is one of the perils of solo-travels. When you're lost - you're really, really LOST.

The worst thing here is that, by deleting one of Marija's posts in a fit of Google Search conspiracy paranoia, I mortally offended her. I was kinda surprised at the extremity of her reaction, [let's not worry about what it was], but there are times I can't be accountable to you all - nor do I choose to disclose anything until I'm ready.

She's been completely, 1000% supportive and was utterly unexpected collateral damage. I feel sad about that, but I'll have to cop it, I guess.

There's a LOT, LOT more to this story. This'll do for now.
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Dogster,
Get yourself to a respectable hospital, and quit those fags for now. (Fag) English for cigarettes in case anybody had any doubts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -