North Vietnam weather

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

North Vietnam weather

I am arranging a trip to Hanoi, Sapa, & Dien Bien Phu (jeep & trekking) in December & January. The guidebooks & tour companies have conflicting infomation on the weather at this time of year. Some say it is very cold, some very misty and drizzly, and some say it is clear blue skys and 20c +. I have travelled in Northern Laos & Northern Thailand where it was cold at night/early morning but hot during the day. Has anyone been in NV at this time of year? Any information would be appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM

We were in Hanoi in January this year and the weather was quite cool around 16-17C.We definitely needed light sweaters during the day and a jacket for night.As you go further north the weather becomes cooler and if you will be sleeping outside make sure to bring warmer clothes!We incidentally found the temperature quite pleasant for touring and as we went south from Hanoi(Hue,Hoi An,Nha Trang,Saigon)the weather became warmer,
Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:47 PM

Hanoi should be comfortable, but going to Sapa and DBP means that you will be going much higher in altitude. Quite mountainous, lots of mist, chilly at night. We slept under blankets every night in the Highlands. Burned wood in the fireplace for comfort. Warm clothing could be peeled, layer by layer, during the day. Insects, therefore, were not a problem.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:48 PM

We were in Hanoi and Sapa last year in Dec/Jan and I would say the guidebooks are correct on all of the above. The weather ranged from sunny and pleasant in Hanoi to chilly and misty, (but not freezing cold)in Sapa. We took light weight waterproof jackets with zip-out linings so we could adjust to the various temps and it worked very well. We did some trekking in Sapa and a good pair of hiking boots was a godsend to each of us, as the ground was pretty mushy. I would not want to do it in sneakers.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice everyone.