Vietnam in Jan 2011, advice please

May 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Vietnam in Jan 2011, advice please

Hello all,

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Vietnam in early Jan next year and am wondering if any of you here has traveled there at that time? What is the weather usually like? Will it be too cold in the north and should I forget swimming for a while in the beaches? This is very important as we'll stick to the south or somewhere else if it's too cold in the north.

Thanks
May 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM

What is your definition of cold?
What is your definition of North?

Take a look at www.weatherbase.com or each place you plan to visit.

For me, Sapa would be cold in January, but Hanoi would only be cool.
May 21st, 2010, 01:14 PM

"Hanoi would only be cool" - it might also be wet. One December it was so cold and wet I left early, and the very next year friends of mine were there at the same time and had nice weather.
May 21st, 2010, 01:21 PM

So true, you can never predict with certainty. But Hanoi averages less than an inch of rain in both December and January. I tend to play the odds on these things. Besides, coming from Seattle, it takes a fair amount of rain for me to consider it wet.
May 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM

Went this January/February. Saigon and Hanoi were WARM and humid but not unbearable (29/30ºC).
We stayed 3 weeks in Vietnam ,Laos and Cambodia.Not a drop of rain...But who knows anymore?
May 25th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Really appreciate your responses. Glad to hear it might not be too cold in Hanoi in Jan. Still researching and figuring out a doable itinerary, so will come back with more questions!

Cheers
May 30th, 2010, 12:10 AM

Cesgaston - Did you travel independently or on a tour?
We were planning on an Oceania cruise that covers Bangkok, Shanghai, Vietnam, and Seoul. Am reluctant to sign up because of troubles in some places. Would consider independent travel. Thanks
May 30th, 2010, 06:56 AM

ympepe, I wouldn't worry about "troubles" in some places (I assume you are referring to Bangkok) with that cruise, I'd worry about not actually seeing any of those countries as your land time consists of a few short stops, often just one per country. Independent travel in all of these countries is quite easy.
May 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM

My visit to Hanoi and Ho Chi Mihn City in late October avoided most of the fall rains, through luck. In the north the conditions would likely be something close to chilly later in the year. However, consider that it is a damp country so cooler evening temperatures might make the humidity (and the air pollution from the congested scooter traffic in the streets) easier to bear.
I had such a great time in Vietnam that I would go back in any season.
Jun 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM

Please check and see when Tet is, as prices will be quite alot higher at this time. January can be cool, but if you live in a cold country it will be comfortable. If you venture out of a motorbike taxi (xe om) it can get quite chilly. Personally I liked January when I lived there.
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:35 PM

it will be beautiful, dry (likely), and low(er) humidity in Saigon and the south. great time to go. beach weather in Phu Quoc and Nha Trang.
Jun 9th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Kathie - Thanks for the comment on the cruise. Have abandoned the idea for the very reason that you don't see much on the day excursions. Will do independent tour or guided tour. Anyone have a recommendation for tour company that would do Vietnam, Shanghai, Japan? Thanks
Jun 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM

ympepe sorry for the late answer...
We traveled independently (2 couples) and used a travel agency who did a great job in tailoring our journey with what we wanted to do
Jun 9th, 2010, 01:43 PM

I was in Vietnam for about two weeks in January of 2008. I did not see the sun anyplace outside of Saigon. I had damp and drizzly weather everyplace else--Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, Halong Bay.

I hope you have better luck, but I would not plan on swimming outside of the far south.
Jun 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM

I was just there this past Jan., mid-month and it was hot/humid in Saigon, beautiful in Hoi An, rainy and humid in Hue and warm and humid in Hanoi. I used the pool in all places. Of course, the people in Hanoi on motorbikes were wearing heavy jackets but we thought it was warm and only needed a sweater on 2 evenings and I live in a warm climate. We even had great weather on Halong Bay.