Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving Threads & The Fodors Policy Change From The Asia Forum

Hi Asia Posters,
I was in the Fodors Lounge this morning, and saw this post from Gpanda:
http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...n-thailand.cfm

My guess is that the thread started here on the Asia Forum and was moved to The Lounge. I wrote the editors and asked if this was the case, and Amy_D responded that it was, and that it had been moved in accordance with the new posting policy.

So...because many if not literally all the remarks I make on threads here are not Asia-travel related, I think this post is my "swan song" on the Asia Forum. My fear is that if I continue to post on your threads, they'll be moved elsewhere, be closed, or my remarks will be removed from the threads, which will kind of defeat the purpose of my posting in the first place. Doesn't mean I don't like you and/or think of you often. Dogster's trial, tribulations, and triumphs in India and other Asian locales will remain with me always. Smeagol's attempts to get Muffin on a plane long enough to get to Asia is something I will never forget. The ongoing "Andy & Bob Road show" is embedded in my very psyche. Plus all the other lovely posts initiate by Rizzuto, Kathie, Carol, Hanuman, and many other of the "the regulars" on the Asia Forum have made a lasting impression on me, and fueled my interest in Asia. But seriously (because that's the apparent direction the moderators are taking), my contributions have all been of the sheerly non-travel variety.

I sincerely wish each and every one of you happy and safe travels, and please know you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

BC
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 07:46 AM

That thread was actually a test of the new guidelines. The central topic of an upcoming match was not asia related, however, I couched the question in terms of Thai reaction to my prediction. I was wondering where such a thread would fall under the new guidelines. We got an answer.

Don't go BC. We need you!
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM

As soon as Amy (and the rest of the Editors) can promise to make the Lounge a less aggressive place, then they're going to deal with a lot of backlash from posters on other rooms here who will be upset about the fact that threads they intended for a particular forum have been moved into a place where people rabidly discuss their political beliefs (and attack others' views) and the rest discuss the fascination of jello molds and how to clean a cat litter box properly. It's basically like saying 'here's a sandbox of crap and since we've decided that your post isn't completely Asian-travel-related, there it goes.'

Great way to endear long-time members to the boards.

Good luck trying to reign this all in. Maybe they should consider doing a direct-dial to Katie H for some backup?
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 07:56 AM

BC, there is a difference between threads that have nothing to do with travel, e.g., Andy's test case thread, and the routine interactions we have on threads. I don't feel worried at all that your particiation on a thread would cause it to be move to the dreaded Lounge.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Bookchick,

Your application for a visa to go stay in the Europe Forum (or Lounge or wherever) is hereby denied and you are required to remain here. We apologize for any inconvenience. Rules are rules.

Read any good books set in Asia lately? How about films? Researched any recipes and tried to make them with what's on hand in your Michigan markets? Sometimes the run-up to an Asia trip is very long. It certainly benefits from laying down a cultural foundation. When it is time to go, you'll be ready.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM

You are correct Gpanda, the thread was moved to the Fodorite Lounge in order to be in line with the new guidelines.

I just want to clarify that posting non-travel related comments on a country board will not result in the automatic removal of your comments or cause a thread to be automatically moved into the Lounge. Threads and comments will be considered on an individual basis.

However, offensive comments will be removed and threads that are better suited for the Lounge will be moved. This has been our practice in the past and this practice will remain the same with the revised guidelines.

I hope that helps to clear things up.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Thanks Amy and BC you aren't going anywhere, we need you here.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 09:11 AM

A suggested addition to the guidelines:

Any thread on which the last four entries were all postyed by the OP shall be closed to further comment.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM

I can think of a thread where an entire trip report was posts only by the OP. Does that count?
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM

That thread was the origin of my suggested addition.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 10:15 AM

I agree. Please, BC, don't leave us. Your participation here is valued!
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Don't leave BC. Your comments and participation are very valued.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Sounds like you are stuck here on the Asia Board with us BC, whether you like it or not
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 05:16 PM

Don't go BC! I think if the original question by the OP is Asian travel related then the thread will remain here.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Ahhhhhh BC can you feel the love?

Filmwillko, Don't know who you would be talking about.

Aloha!