Vietnam Inquiries

Search

Vietnam Inquiries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vietnam Inquiries

Thank-you Hanuman and Filmwill for answering my questions on luggage size and the Halong Ginger . We are leaving on Fri. March 21 for Hanoi
and then, an agricultural research institute where my husband makes some presentations for a week. After that we are on our own and wondered about a good 3 or 4 star hotel in Hanoi?? Any advice on hotels in Hanoi from anyone would again be appreciated. We aren't that into fancy lobbies as some clean comfort. This trip has been sprung on us suddenly. Thanks again, Ilonka
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM

I think many people here would recommend the Sofitel - it is very costly however. If you don't mind something more simple try Hanoi Elegance 3 - we stayed there in February (just before Tet) and it had just been open a short time. The rooms are clean and good, breakfast is ok (not much choice) but all in all a good hotel for a base near to the old quarter. We paid $65 for a room, it has a computer all set up in the room to creat your reports back to fellow Fodorites! Its a good choice if you don't want to spend too much.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 03:32 AM

janev, how did you book the HE3?
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:17 AM

Hanoi Elegance 1 & 2 are also fine small hotels, both located right in the Old Quarter, just a couple of blocks from the lake.
Excellent staff, locally owned, modest sized. Front desk was willing to make reservations in other cities for no charge, regardless of commission. Travel agencies offer this service only if they get a commission. They charge if not.

Rooms are nice, breakfast is included and simple with pho or eggs (any style), fruit, and toast. You can upgrade to a superior room which also includes fresh fruit every day and a larger room. A computer with free internet is in every room.
HE 1&2 are cheaper than HE3. HE1 was $32 for superior room, $40 HE2, not including VAT.
HE2 is more modern (opened 2006) with an elevator with soundproof windows.

If you are looking for luxury like Hilton or Sofitel, these would not be for you. But if you're looking for comfortable, friendly, and convenient, they would be great.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Sorry missed your last post. You can book any of the HE hotels thru their website. Just google hanoi elegance. They are pretty prompt with responses.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 05:47 AM

We stayed at the DeSyloia and really liked it. It's a small boutique hotel, great staff and great restaurant.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Hanoi Elegance 3 is the newest of the HE hotels - as Nibblette says just email them direct & I also found them to reply quickly.

I have also stayed at De Syloia (some years ago now) its also nice - not as central as HE3. I think it costs more than HE3 too - HE3 is very new so all rooms I think will be fine here. They also can pick you up at the airport if you are unsure of getting into the city.

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks Katie and janev and nibblette. My trip isn't until October, so I have plenty of time to research. I had originally pretty much decided on DeSoyia but the HE3 sounds good also.