Hotels in Hanoi

Sep 7th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Hanoi

On another web site, the top rated hotel in Hanoi is the Hanoi Elegance Ruby (formerly Hanoi Elegance #4). The traveler comments are so spectacular that I was concerned that they were manufactured. Has anyone stayed there? Are there other Hanoi hotels I should consider?
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Yes, the poster dgunbug has stayed there and loved it, but she has mentioned that the regular room for two is very very small. We are staying at the Hanoi Elegance Diamond in March - if you can wait that long, I'll be sure to post a review!
Sep 7th, 2010, 08:26 AM

depends what your price range is.
I stayed at the Metropole and LOVED it. would highly recommend.
Sep 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM

The Elegance 3 is even nicer than the Elegance 4. While we stayed at the #4, on the last day we decided to get a room and since the #4 was fully booked, they put us in the #3. The rooms were larger and the lobby and restaurant even nicer. The Elegant staff in both hotels could not do enough for us and they made our stay a delight. Of course neither hotel was as elegant as the Metropole, but the prices were considerably less. If I had to do it again, I would stay at one of the Elegant hotels in a flash. Note also that the Elegant #5 opened while we were in Hanoi. While I didn't see it, I heard from others that the rooms were larger and very nice. The location is ideal, just off the lake.
Sep 7th, 2010, 05:52 PM

<<>>

And based on that information from you, that's where we're staying! Even their reservations communications were super!
Sep 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Sofitel Metropole is unbelievably beautiful, has amazing service, and is in a wonderful location in the old town. You can walk out the door to many sites and shopping etc. Become a Sofitel member and you will get discounts and upgrades. I booked in advance then kept watching as the rates and upgrades kept getting better. I finally rebooked the week before at half the price of my original booking. One of my favorite hotels in the world.
Sep 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM

sf7307 - Looking forward to reading your trip report and hearing your feedback!
Sep 8th, 2010, 02:48 AM

Paulo: Can you become a member on the Sofitel website? If not, how do you accomplish this?
Sep 8th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Loved the Sofitel Metropole....booked through Vietnam Stay (also known as Aurora travel) and got a much lower rate than going direct. However, it is a very luxurious, business-type hotel experience...maybe you want a smaller, more authentic one.
Sep 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM

Yes ekscrunchy. Just join sofitel online. I also have an AClub membership which is a chain that includes Sofitel. Sofitel also offered me a "local membership" to the Sofitel in LA for no cost. It gives me discounts for staying there or using their restaurants or spa. Usually 20% off.
Also, although many Sofitels around the world are more "businessy", I did not find the Metropole businessy at all. It is completely charming. I stayed in the new wing and loved it but many prefer the old traditional wing. In either case, the lobby area which is stunning is accessible to all.
Sep 8th, 2010, 07:53 PM

By the way, the Hanoi Elegance group is owned by the same company as the Metropole Hotel.
Sep 10th, 2010, 03:07 AM

what? Hanoi Elegance group is owned by the same company as Metropole Hotel? Really, from where did you know that?
Sofitel metropole is one of the top hotels in Asia and under Accor management.
Sep 10th, 2010, 04:37 AM

I got worried that I gave misinformation, but after googling the Elegance chain, I came up with the following. There were also other references to the Elegance Hotels being managed by the Accor group.

Hanoi Hotels, Vietnam | Venere.com
Hanoi Horison Hotel Managed by Accor has a full service...... hotel details .... Hanoi Elegance 2 Hotel offers a modern and diverse range of... hotel ...
www.venere.com › vietnam other accommodation - Cached - Similar
Sep 10th, 2010, 04:51 AM

Oh my! I just re-read this info and other references to the Elegance chain and the Accor group. Apparently I misread the info as they lumped together the Elegance with the Hanoi Horison, which is managed by the Accor group. So sorry. I must hang my head in shame. I will say it again though...the management of the Elegance chain is amazing. Of course they don't have all the amenities of the Metropole, but for the price, you can't go wrong.
Oct 11th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Can absolutely reassure you that staying at the hotel elegence - will be a highlight. May not be as swish as the metropole but the service is amazing. I have travelled a lot with work and for pleasure and the service delivery out of this chain is amazing. In fact some of the five star hotels should send their staff to conduct a refresher course on customer service.
Oct 11th, 2010, 06:22 PM

That's so great to hear -- we're staying at the Diamond (formerly the "5") in March!
Oct 11th, 2010, 11:15 PM

We stayed at hanoi Elegance 4 in January and loved it. Yes the double rooms are quite small but well appointed.

The reviews are all honest as far as I can see.

The staff are wonderful. breakfast is good.
Jan 10th, 2011, 11:36 PM

Sorry this is so late in coming but stayed at the Metropole as well as Elegance 4. Loved both places in different ways.

The Metropole is a classic, magnificent architecture, neat location. Even though I thought I had wanted to stay in the old section, stayed on the Club floor in the new one and the room was gorgeous. A memorable splurge.

Elegance 4 was a joy. the staff was amazingly warm, friendly and helpful. We changed our Halong Bay trip and although they were booked, they moved us to Elegance2 for one night then back. Nothing was too much and the move back and forth with them moving the bags, was seamless. Everything about the stay was extremely positive and they deserve every accolade they receive.
Jan 11th, 2011, 05:41 AM

Have you looked at the Gia Boa Grand?
Jan 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM

I stayed at both Hanoi Elegance 3 and 4. Hanoi Elegance 3 has a much better breakfast, and a nicer bathroom I thought. The room was nice as well but it did get a little stuffy without any windows. And I actually liked the location of Elegance 3 better-a lot less tourists around. They put us up in Hanoi Elegance 4 after our Halong Bay cruise because they had no availability at Hanoi 3. We were extremely lucky to get the room with the balcony-which was great. If you decide to stay at any of the Hanoi Elegance hotels-they will take great care of you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO