Reload this Page >

Up or down the Yangtze River?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Sue

I'm planning a trip to China, including a trip on the Yangtze. What is the difference between going up or down the Yangtze? <BR><BR>Also, I understand there are different size boats or ships for this tour. Any opinions on which is better? Or are they all good and it's a matter of opinion. <BR><BR>Thanks for any and all help!!!<BR><BR>Sue

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Randy

Upstream takes a day longer than downstream and they do much more night sailing, since they're against the current. I just returned from the downstream cruise on the Victoria II, and 4 days is enough. I would consider the cruise line rather than the size of the boat. Some are American operated and others are Chinese. Do some research and see which suits your needs better. I chose Victoria because of the option of some American food and English being spoken. You may not have those needs, so check them all.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Dave

I agree that 4 nights downstream is enough. We also took the Victoria 2, was a very good ship. Regal is also good, but the standard rooms are listed as smaller. East King and Queen have a better reputation, may be more expensive. Check out &lt;http://www.travelchinaguide.com/crui.../index.htm&gt;

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Sue

Randy & Dave,<BR><BR>Thanks for the explanations!!<BR><BR>Sue

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Claudette

My question is: what's the best and cheapest way to get to and from Hong Kong and the boat docks? Everything I've found is REALLY expenseive and puts the trip into the $2000US category (granted, its the East King, but still...)

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Sue

Claudette,<BR><BR>I think you would have a better chance of getting an answer if you post your question as a new message.<BR><BR>Sue

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
bgt

We took the Regal Princess Sheena and agree that 4 days, downstream is enough.<BR><BR>When passing thru the locks, we were right next to one of the Victoria ships. It did appear that the rooms were slightly larger. <BR><BR>Even the most expensive rooms on regal were painfully small. However, the food was quite good, the staff extremely good and the entertainment was spectacular. The regal was also very clean.