Yangtze River Cruise

Search

Yangtze River Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yangtze River Cruise

We're planning a 2 wk trip to China and plan to do the River cruise. Wondering if any of you have any feedback on pros and cons regarding the direction of the cruise, Chongqing to Yichang OR Yichang to Chongqing, other than the extra day it takes to go the upstream direction.

Would love to hear about your experiences on this cruise, especially from those that may have taken the Victoria Anna boat which is fairly new.

Thanks

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM

We took the Yangtze cruise from Chongqing to Yichang. Three nights is plenty. For details:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34682619
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Go downstream as it's faster. We went before the last big rise so not sure if it's still spectacular. Think we went with the same mob but boat was pretty basic and food boring after awhile. Also not much happening on board.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM

We took an older Victoria boat. Liked it. Good lectures, fine land excursions, entertainment at night better than expected, bought water color pictures, silk kite (and I very seldom buy tourist stuff), food better than expected. They even had a "Face Changer" the last evening who was the most amazing entertainment, very, very special. Great break in a 2 week trip.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM

We are working with a phenomenal agent, located in Chongqing. We opted for the complete SEVEN day cruise downriver (long story- but my partner hates to fly and we liked the idea of stopping in Huangshan Mountain and Nanjing.) This company accepted our credit card and THEY PAID in advance... are picking us up at train station, running our card and then dropping us off at the Victoria Prince.

And...they were $600 cheaper then the victoria site, and lower than other local agents. I'd at least email them.

www.achinatours.com, Mark or Jolin are the agents at [email protected]
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM

A comment on Harry's post: Victoria's downstream cruises are four days and three nights. You can get more detailed information at their website, victoriacruises.com. Victoria's cruises used to take longer before the water rose because there were delays in narrower parts of the river. Now there are still some one-way sections (I may even be out of date here myself!) but the wider route allows faster cruising. Upstream is one day longer because of the current, but in my experience it's less expensive because of supply and demand, i.e. more people want to go downstream to save a day.

I haven't been on the Anna yet but will be doing so next month. I've been on four of the other ships including the Katarina, and the Anna's supposed to outdo them all. Has elevators, for one thing!

K.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM

APOLOGIES:
The website for the agency I noted is achinatour.com, without the S in TOURS!!!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:21 AM

Although the cruise is technically 4 days, 3 nights from Chongqing to Yichang, note that the first day is a departure at 9:00 PM (no dinner on the boat the first night) and the fourth day ends early in the afternoon.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the websites.

Kudzu, would love to hear your comparison of the Anna to the others you've cruised on. Have a great trip.