Top 3 Deluxe Hotels In KUla Lumpur?

Jul 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Top 3 Deluxe Hotels In KUla Lumpur?

I am aware of the Ritz and the Shangri-La in KL but am I missing one or 2 elegant 200 vs. 400+ room hotels not in the very middle of the busy traffic-maybe 1-2 miles away but not isolated? I prefer a hotel that is 2-5 years old vs. 10-15+, if available.
Going in April 2006 (shoulder season) and want equivalent of Executive Deluxe rooms we had at the Ritz. I would expect to spend $150 with full breakfast and tax for 2 persons at that time of year.Let's assume they do not re-evaluate the MYR before then. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Jul 12th, 2005, 01:00 PM

The Mandarin Oriental gets rave reviews and is newer than either the Ritz or the Shangri-La.
Jul 12th, 2005, 08:19 PM

You don't want the Ritz Carlton. It is old & can't compare to any other Ritz I've been in.

How about the Westin around the corner? I believe it is only a couple of years old, but it is dead center in the middle of things.
Jul 13th, 2005, 03:07 AM

ShangRi-La was recently refurbished.. so it's up there on the swanky list.
Other new hotels are Hilton and Le Meridien but both are not smack in the city centre but easily accessible by the subway. Hilton boasts plasma tv in each room... Sheraton Imperial and Mandarin Oriental are nice too.
I echo deptrai's views on the Ritz.
As for Westin, that area is a bit too busy to my liking
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:06 AM

If you want old-world luxury, you could try Carcosa. I think it may be more than your budget, but they may have deals...
Jul 13th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

On the thread several months back travelers to Kl raved about the Ritz in a Grand Deluxe room based on trips in 2004. They only were challenged by those who thought the Shangri La was better. Several had stayed in bith over the past 2-3 years. While I know I asked for newer I am now confused abut the criteria those travelers who claimed to be Ritz Hotel clients in many places and the 2 comments here about avoiding the Ritz. The equivalent rooms at those 2 and the Westin and Oriental are within $20USD/night of each other? Please clarify if you would. With a 4 night stay but out of the hotel from 9-4 each day and then for dinner, amenities in the room ( condition of furnishings, comfort of a king bed and size and condition of bathroom are really the most important to us. Thanks for additional input, if you can?
Jul 13th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Stan, I stayed at the Ritz in November, 2004. I had a wonderful stay. I had the Executive room, which is very large with a large sitting area, a huge bath and a nice dressing area. The rooms are (in keeping with the Ritz tradition) furnished in old world style. All the floors have butler service and our butler was just great. Also, all rooms have access to the Club, which has 5 food presentation a day.

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Ritz and would certainly return. Several people reported that teh Ritz looked "shabby" but that was not my experience. It does not have a large, flashy lobby but I really don't care about that.

I visited the Shangri-La and had an exceedlingly expensive meal there (not worth the $$). It just didn't appeal to me. I also wasn't that impressed with the Westin.

Several people here really liked the Mandarin Oriental, so you might look for their reviews.
Aug 14th, 2005, 04:23 AM

We had a very disappointing stay at the Ritz, in an executive room. The room was nice enough, but the staff were a bit pathetic, at the front desk and in the lounge.

The Marriot bit the big one. Don't bother.

I believe the old Hilton is now the Mutiara...? brain fart, sorry. I think I've stayed there but obviously it was unmemorable.

Have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental a few times and if I return to KL that'll be my first choice. I think we even had a great rate of $100US a night with a really great breakfast, though this was more than a year ago.
Aug 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM

I had an excellent stay at the Ritz in an executive room in spring of 2001. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.Happy Travels!
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:36 AM

I can higly recommend the Mandarin Oriental.
Aug 15th, 2005, 06:47 AM

The Mandarin Oriental was excellent if you like modern ultra deluxe.
Aug 15th, 2005, 09:08 PM

i'd go for the mandarin oriental over the ritz any day. have stayed at the hotel thrice over the past three years and its always been outstanding- the sort of soothing ultra deluxe experience that south east asian hotels do best.the MO adjoins the KLCC suria center so its convenient to pop across for a some shopping at the huge mall and then a meal at one of the restaurants or cafes overlooking the park and fountains. the best views are from rooms overlooking the park..and of course the petronas towers next door are stunning at night, especially when viewed from the club lounge during cocktail hour! if you plan to to dine at the hotel you'd do well at the excellent chinese restaurant. i've also enjoyed casual western meals at the ground floor cafe..the rooms are as well appointed as one would expect, with king size beds, the bathrooms are exceptional- large and very luxurious, heaps of marble and glossy wood and top notch fittings..the pool overlooks the park and is open till fairly late in the evenings..i'd expect you'd pay about $180 for a club room in april
Aug 15th, 2005, 11:33 PM

I'm headed to KL the first week of September and trying to decide b/t the newer Westin and the Sheraton. Any advice? How about being well located for public transportation/shopping?
any advice would be greatly appreciated!