luxury hotels

May 28th, 2002, 05:56 PM
HARRISON

luxury hotels

I am considering a trip to Montreal, and am interested in Montreal's top hotels. We would want to spend around $200+ a night.

In the past, some respondents on fodors.com have not been very accomodating when it comes to luxury hotels, and make fun of the traveller. I would really appreciate any good advice on this topic.

Thanks,
Harrison

May 28th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Sherry

Harrison,
Of the "larger" style hotels, I like the "Entree Gold" floor of the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth. Also the Vogue gets good reviews, I think I may try it myself next trip. The Entree Gold floors were just redone May 1st.

May 28th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Brian Kilgore

Fairmont Queen Elizabeth, Bonaventure Hilton, Intercontinental are, I would say, the top three big ones.

The Sheraton is fine, but more of a convention hotel, which can take the edge of luxury, depending on whether there's a convention going on.

The Ritz Carleton has been getting some bad press, but I do not know how accurate this is. (or how fair)

Of smaller hotel, I'd pick the Vogue (Loew's) which I alswys think is the kind of hotel good moviedirectors would pick, rather than captains of industry.

The Westin used to be a Four Seasons, so the room layouts and amenities are good.

$200 a night is quite low, by the way.

BAK

May 29th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Louis

There are also new luxurious boutique hotels such as:

Le Germain (www.hotelgermain.com)
Hotel St-Paul (www.hotelstpaul.com) (recently voted by Condé Nast amongst the top 50 properties in the world).

May 31st, 2002, 11:05 AM
Harrison

Brian,

Thanks for your response, but if you called any of the hotels, you would find that $200 is more than adequate to find a room at the ritz, queen elizabeth, vogue, st. james, etc...I found the ritz for under $200.

Anyway, when did the Sheraton and Hilton become luxury properties?

May 31st, 2002, 12:52 PM
xxx

Harrison--do you mean $US or CDN? Big difference!
(US $200 =$300 CDN, approx.)

May 31st, 2002, 12:58 PM
Jane

The "Westin" that used to be a Four Seasons has been an Omni for about the past 5 years. Nice hotel.

May 31st, 2002, 02:11 PM
Brian Kilgore

It turns out that the Fairmont QE does have some specials that, pre-tax, are significantly under $200 CDN. Breakfast included, too. Starts to make a trip to Montreal look good.

$200 is 15 - 25 percent low at the Vogue, (before taxes) but there's a move to a suite for $35 that looks like a good luxury touch.

Re Omni / Westin -- that move to new management explains why I keep hearing of the Onmi but don't know where it is.

I do find it sort of puzzling why there's no Four Seasons in Montreal again.

May 31st, 2002, 06:05 PM
Jake

tell me more about Hotel St. Paul and Le Germain.I have been reading alot about those hotels.If you had to choose between Hotel Vouge,St Paul or Le Germain what hotel would you choose and why?

Thanks!

Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:12 AM
Attitude

Harrison: Your first request included a statement which was fair enough, but still a little strange, your second comment included a final comment that definitely indicates attitude. I would suggest you adjust your tone a little in posting here, as most people tend to be helpful, but certainly dont need to be rebuked by you in response.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:47 AM
Sherry

I would say that in order to stay at the Ritz, Vogue, QE for $200 a night CDN, you may want to check into the type of room you would be getting. The QE has a lot of older type rooms, some dated decor, bathrooms small etc. The Ritz can be dated as well, and that has been some of the most recent complaints about the Ritz; its showing its age. As for the Vogue, which is newer, all rooms have the same "upscale" amenities. I havent tried the Vogue yet so cant comment personally. The Ritz; I havent stayed at in years.
I stand by my earlier post of recommending the Entree Gold at the QE, but dont think that can be done for $200. To me, (personal opinion here), service rates highly as well as the hotel itself, for me to classify it as "luxury". The QE is a large hotel, can be quite impersonal, so one of the things I appreciate with concierge service is seperate check-in, private lounge, prompt room service, etc. Hope this helps, enjoy Montreal.

Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:29 PM
kate

http://www.hotelgermain.com/ang/corpo/framecorpo.html

This is the link to the Le Germain.I stayed here in October.We loved it.The rooms are spacious,nothing like "hotel" rooms, the staff is young,friendly and extremely efficient.
It was perfect for an anniversary trip,they even gave us complimentary champagne.
We will be going back again in the fall.
It is right around the corner from Sherbrook and the Omni.Close to all good restaurants and shops,cinemas,I love Montreal,we have been visiting for years.Do you need restaurant recos?

Jun 4th, 2002, 11:11 AM
wendy

kate- Did you like the location of the St. Germain? Is it out of the way at all?