Tongue Thai, Harmony and Gallery

Dec 4th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Tongue Thai, Harmony and Gallery

If I only have time to eat at one of these which one would you select?
Dec 4th, 2007, 08:20 AM

We have not eaten at Gallery Cafe - the stories of massage oil smells from the spa upstairs have kept us away. Tongue Thai was fine but no atmosphere. Recent reviews have been inconsistent. We had a great meal at Harmonique - lots of atmosphere too. Avoid the a/c section. I have not seen a bad review of Harmonique.
Dec 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Craig and thanks for understanding that I meant Harmonique rather than Harmony. I ate at Gallery and Tongue Thai once several years ago and was underwhelmed by both -- nothing wrong necessarily but saw no reason to return. But I thought they were getting good reviews on this forum so I thought I'd ask.
Dec 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM

G-I would eat at Harmonique. While I believe that all three are good, H is the best.

Say hello to Tong from Beth and me.
Dec 4th, 2007, 09:03 AM

The one thing to be aware of with Harmonique is that the service is typically just awful. However, this last trip, we had ok service (but then we're pretty assertive about asking for what we want).

One other comment, someone reported that the restrooms are filthy - so avoid them!

Anyway, I agree with others, Harmonique is the most interesting of the three.
Dec 4th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Of Gallery and Tongue Thai, I think Gallery is better for dishes with lots of fresh veggies, and TT better for more traditional curry style dishes. You have to ask for the spice at both spots if you like it hot.

Haven't tried Harmonique yet. It's always closed when I'm there, so this would be the one I'd choose!

I've eaten at Gallery several times...never smelled or heard anything from upstairs. I've also had massages there several times but don't recall them even using oils.
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I like Gallery's food. But we ate there once last year when someone came out of the massage reeking of Tiger Balm. And this year, we were going to go, but opened the door and the Tiger balm smell wafted out so we went to Harmonique.

I think it is luck of the draw whether you are there when someone cames out who was massaged with Tiger Balm.
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM

i have never noticed the smell at gallery cafe, but i am sure it is there, depending on where you sit...the food is fine, but nothing to write home about...

tongue thai is the closest for you of course but the last couple of meals we had there were only ok...

harmonique is simply the best!! one key is to be ready to order when they come and that helps with the service....also order appetizers first and then when they come order the mains otherwise they arrive in random order, a la thai style...

i think if you are in the a/c room you sort of get forgotten and that is why the service is not good...

you can also walk to harmonique from the oriental....closed sundays....
Dec 4th, 2007, 11:58 AM

G-the service at Harmonique is really spotty. At first, they rush to take your order and then serve either very quickly or not. Once you're finished, they can take forever to give you your bill. We've learned to ignore it and relax and enjoy the food.
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Generally bad restaurant service makes me nuts but I somehow can live with it in thailand if it's not at an upscale restaurant. If I'm paying top dollar I expect a lot more. I assume this is more a middle priced restaurant?
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Basically I'm looking for a restaurant that I can walk to.
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Our meal was less than $20 for two including beer for me.

Yes, you can easily walk from the "O".
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Well, Harmonique meets your criteria - it's cheap and walkable from the Oriental... The comment that the service is odd is more descriptive than my comment about ie being bad.

They make a great steamed bread (yes, the owners are Chinese-Thai) that we often have withn our meal.
Dec 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM

gloria...make sure to have the fried morning glories...i think they are the best in bkk...heavy on the garlic...

key to getting there is to walk along new road....when you get to the big general post office on the left, backtrack 50 feet and go down the soi with the large ornamental gate over the soi....rest. is on the right down about 150 yards....
Dec 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Bob-
Have you had the fried morning glory at the Pen (not hotel but restaurant Johnny Apple recommended). They were incredible and I plan to have them when I return -- Pen and CC are on my must eat at list.
Dec 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Gloria, we really wanted to make it to Pen this trip... both your review and Johnny Apple's convinced us - next time.