Goa in December 07

Nov 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Goa in December 07

Hello,

I am very quickly stepping on to a series of flights to Goa, India. I will be in Goa from 7 Dec to 29 Dec. I partly have a family medical situation to deal with in Mapusa; however, I plan to spend my time outside of that touring and taking in my homeland. My ancestry lies in Goa and I am excited to go, but anxious as well as I am going alone for the first time. I have some family and friends that will help me.

My question: I hope to tour around as much of Goa as possible and see the sights at my pace, particularly around Margao and Mapusua. I also want to take in the Christmas season as I hear it is quite something. I have a rough guides book that is of interest and would love to hear suggested things to do.

P.S. I enjoy cooking and would love to learn Goan cuisine somewhere

Thanks
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Goodguy, looks like you have been out of touch with Goa for a while. Our tiny beloved paradise is in trouble, both due to our own as well as due to outsiders of all kinds. You should check out the forums at goanet.org.

Nov 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM

agtou - could you summarize? I liked Goa much more than I expected, and am sorry to hear its in trouble.
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:51 AM

thursdaysd, Goa's great virtue was that it was "not-India." We had little of the wretchedness, the misery, the abject poverty, the squalor, the crowds that characterize post-Independence India. This was the one last pocket of the good, civilized life left in India. But now the rest of India has 'discovered' Goa. Rich Indians flush with money but low on culture are seeking to buy old houses, land and apartments. They see Goa as no more than sea-front real estate, with no regard to our unique traditions and culture. This has spurred rampant construction, much of it through violation of land laws designed to protect the environment and the sealine. Our venal politicos have aided and abetted this destruction. Property prices have soared alongwith the ugly RCC buildings, and are beyond the range of the ordinary Goan. Traditional farmers have been uprooted or paid money to leave, fields have been sealed for construction etc. At the other end of the economic spectrum, migrant labour from the rest of the country has been pouring in unchecked and uncontrolled, bringing along their abysmal civic habits and squalid manner. Goa does not have the capacity to absorb India's indigent without itself going down the gutter. Goans are in danger of being outnumbered soon. Westerners in Goa have created their own set of problems but the problems created by Indians are non-biodegradable and here to stay. You can get an inkling from my photo essay, The Death of Goa here -

http://www.parrikar.org/images/deathofgoa/index.html
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Goodguy, I'm sure you'll have a great time in Goa. Why are you anxious about going alone? December is really chaotic, especially the northern areas, and considering you have friends and relatives living there, I'm sure they'll get you into the spirit of things.

What are your interests? Are you into nightlife? I live in Goa, so maybe I can make some suggestions. For sights, checking out the churches in Old Goa are a definite must. Maybe walk around the old portuguese districts of Fontainhas, check out the friday market in Mapusa, explore the beaches in the north (Arambol is nice), Anjuna Wednesday flea market, or just take a ride along the coast and take in the scenery (like the coastal road from Candolim to Betim).
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM

I love Goa...eventhough it has become touristy...i have been there 3 times now and always had an excellent time...We have good friends there now...

I like to mix another part of India or another country with Goa..

Like anywhere u travel to, it is what u make of it...

U will have a great time there, i am sure..

There wouldn't be so many tourists if it was that bad....

I just stay away from Calangute and Baga..

Nov 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM

agtou - I looked at your pictures, I'm so sorry to see what development is doing, and wish you luck.

goodguy - looks like you'll miss the St. Francis Xavier festival, but make sure to visit Old Goa anyway. Also spend time in Panaji. I visited a spice plantation, and several inland temples, as well as the Dudhsagar falls. In addition to the Rough Guide take a look at Lonely Planet and Footprints.
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Goa is a wonderful paradise. We used to visit North India only, until our daughter suggested that we go to Goa. Now all out trips to India begin in Goa....beautiful white sandy beaches, excellent seafood, relaxing atmosphere, and relatively inexpensive(compared to Hawaii etc).

Goodguy... don't fret...and have a good time in Goa. December is a perfect time to go to Goa.
Dec 4th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I leave tommorow. YEAH!!

My anxiety was mainly around leaving in a rush and not being with my family, with the exception of my grandma.

I will tread lightly and do my part to preserve the life that is left in Goa.

To the skies...