Search

Face - Indian or Thai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Face - Indian or Thai

Ok, I know Fodorites love to compare and argue about "which is better". So, here's another opportunity. Which one of Face's restaurants is better -- Thai or Indian? I think they're both pretty places & we love both kinds of food. Can anyone describe the type of Indian food? Light or heavy?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Well, what I can tell you is that we ate at both. Our consensus was that the Thai was better. It may simply have been that the Thai dishes we picked were better. The Indian food was very good, so you may want to choose on the basis of whether you are hungry for Thai or hungry for Indian. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

By the way, several people have complained about the service being slow. We also noted that the service was a bit slow, but not slow enough that it impaired our enjoyment of either meal.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM

i will start by saying that i have never been to an indian restaurant where the service was not slow...and face follows suit, although it was better than most...

the day we ate at the thai side there were few people so service was ok, but we had one pork dish that was all fat so we ate little of it, so that is a negetive....the rest was fine...

its a toss up for me....here is my idea for you: lunch at thai, afternoon massage at the spa, drinks at the bar and then dinner at indian....how's that for some PM???
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM

I know there was a post here that gave directions to Face but I can't find it! I have printed the map from Face's web site but it there more than I need to know than that??! We are planning on the Thai. Will be there next month!
J
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Kathie can I ask what Thai dishes you picked?
J
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:38 PM

Go down soi 38 until you see a sign with a Budda face on the left. Thats it. It can be hard to find if you have not been there. Most taxi drivers have never heard of it.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM

jules39, the duck curry, which came highly recommended by our waitress at Lanna Thai (Face's Thai restaurant) was our family's favorite dish. We just ate there a week ago. We did not care much for the chicken lanna thai, minced chicken in spices wrapped in banana leaf, which seemed too dry and not tasty. I can't even recall our other dishes (not my usual difficulty). Our entrees came out so slow that even our waitress seemed embarressed, and the restaurant tried to recover our evening by providing us with a complimentary dessert. Maybe you'll have better luck on the evening that you're there!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Directions to Face...take the skytrain to Thonglong....one stop past the Phrom Phong stop....on the Sukhumvit line...direction...On Nut. Walk out exit #4. When you get down to the street level, go to your right and then the first street you come to...there's no sign....turn left and then walk 5 minutes. It's on the left side of the street. Very easy to find. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM

I haven't eaten at both restaurants. The Indian restaurant is only open for dinner and I went for lunch. Some of the dishes were very good, however, it wasn't the best Thai food I've eaten. In the Bangkok 101 magazine...written by folks who live here... the comments are that folks are disappointed by the small portions and high prices and that they just sit in the bar and order bar food off the bar menu since it's cheaper. The Thai food I had at Basil restaurant in the Sheraton Grande Hotel on Sukhumvit Rd. right at the Asoke skytrain station...a three-minute walk..was the best Thai food I've personally had in Bangkok. I've done a food report under my Siam Ocean World Aquarium thread where I've been writing my trip report. Basil opens at 12:00 noon for lunch and is on the first floor of the hotel. They also have cooking classes given by the chef there whom I spoke to in depth yesterday. I've reported all of this under the same thread. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Just returned from Bangkok and did have a chance to eat at the Thai side of Face. I agree, it was not the best thai food I have eaten either. Nice ambience in the restaurant and bar, but some street food I have eaten in Thailand thru the years has been better than our dinner we had a few weeks ago.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:55 AM

jules, I know we had a duck curry, I'll have to check my travel journal to see what else we had.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:25 AM

We ate at the Indian restaurant at Face and thought it was excellent comparable to some really wonderful north Indian food we had eaten in India. The saffron rice and Chicken Biryani in clay pot, the rogan gosh, the murgh Malai (bbq chicken not spicy) was excellent. We also had an eggplant with peas and onions vegetable dish that was unbelievable with their Nan. I thought the prices were high up there but the food was well worth it.

As for directions: We were staying at the Oriental and it was a breeze finding it. Just get on the sky train near the oriental (they will give you the train directions). Once you get off at the train station, a flight of stairs will bring you down to street level (there are two exits so be sure to ask someone at the train station which exit to take to get to Face) Once you get down the stairs to the street, you make a U turn at the bottom of the stairs and maybe 10 steps from the stairs is a little street, turn left in to the street and you will see a bunch of street food vendors, keep walking past them and a little further up, on your right you will find the restaurant. We took the same route back.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Thanks for all the info so far. I was thinking the atmosphere of Face looks great. Still think we will go there so keep the menu suggestions coming! Maybe we will try Basil at the Sheraton another day!

Thanks again J
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 09:30 AM

the best dining experience i ever had in thailand(service, ambience , food) was at hazara. the thai side was ok.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Jules39: I should have said, past the food stalls the restaurant is on your LEFT not right.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:04 AM

CFW I am sorry for thread jacking on you. I hope this info will help you too.
Maybe we will run into each other at Face!
J
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM

we dined at both the thai and indian restaurants at Face and liked them both...
best indian food i have had (not a real fan usually) and the thai dishes were delicious.
slow service but a great evening anyway.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Jules, Glad you did. Lots of good info. Based on the "reviews" so far, if we do go to Face, looks like it will be the Indian restaurant in the evening.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Try Basil...you won't be disappointed. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM

Hi
only been to the indian side of Face. Great dishes were the rogan josh, and the okra dish was very good too.

There's a little bakery attached so you can have nice cakes after. Or go out to the stalls on the street of soi 38 and have mango and sticky rice pudding - divine!