Bangkok restaurant advice

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok restaurant advice

Hi-
I'm putting together my restaurants for my trip. Here's my question. Would you call Face the best thai restaurant these days for a combination of food and ambience? Any other suggestions?

I tend to eat mostly asian food when in thailand -- I love it and I get very good european food in Chicago. I'm not a fan of Celedon. I've eaten at most of the older thai restaurants and know which ones I like. But I'm wondering which new ones should be on my must do list. I only have 8 nights and have 4 planned. I generally don't eat big lunches so stick to my "good" restaurants for dinners.

Thanks
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:39 AM

I am also interested in trying face but not sure if to go for the Indian or Thai part.

http://www.chicasia.com/res_italian.php is a great site and has helped me short list of where to go.

I have booked MAHA NAGA and looking at the Vietnamese now. I want to predominately eat asian food as I live in London so European is on tap.

I shall watch the replies to this post with interest.

Have a great trip.

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:10 AM

we thought it was very nice gloria...we only ate thai there for lunch....carol just upped its rank to a tie with bed, although bed is not thai...our food was very good....we did have a pork dish which was all fat which did not please us however....every thing else was excellent....at nite it is very pretty with the candles, etc...the exterior is also excellent....

hope you will try tongue thai as well...

as whether to eat at the thai or indian sections at face, i guess that is up to what you feel like eating that nite....we liked both...both are in lovely re-constructed buildings with great ambiance...we did not like one better than the other...both were good....i guess you have to ask yourself whether you want pad thai or chicken tikka???????????????
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:10 AM

gloria---will you share your restaurant list with us???
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:18 AM

gloria---seeing that it is listed here today, would you consider le delat indochine?? or do i remember you have been there??
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Bob-- Indian food is out for this trip. I love it but my travel companion doesn't. Tongue Thai is definitely on my list. So far my dinners are: Tongue Thai, China House, Lord Jim, Bed Supper Club. I'm considering Faces, le Dalat Indochine and the thai restaurant at the Pen.

Has anyone been to Lemongrass recently? I used to like it a lot but haven't been there in a long time.

I've crossed off my list Celadon, Harmonique, Spice House.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:58 AM

As for Lemongrass, I have friends who still swear by it. They've been eating there regularly for over a decade I think.They were just talking about it when we got together for lunch back in August before I left for Bangkok.There are some dishes they said that aren't on the menu anymore but, the owner has the old dishes prepared for them upon request. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guen. I may put lemongrass on list for this trip. What's your favorite asian restaurant?
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:04 AM

Hi Guys

Sorry to jump on your thread Gloria but i too fancy Face (website is lovely) and Bob and Carols descriptions have made my mind up. Anyway my question is, do i need to make a reservation prior to arrival in BK? (will probably be looking to go on a Sunday) or am i likely to get a table if we swing by in the evening?

Thanks guys
Jane
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:23 AM

Gloria, I'm going to piggyback on your thread, as I'm also working on my restaurant list for my upcoming trip.

Face is one on my "maybe" list, though I can't decide whether to try the Indian side or the Thai side. I eat mostly Thai food in Bangkok, but Indian is also a favorite.

I love Lemongrass (I actually like it better than Harmonique, though I'll probably go to both). I usually have a lovely, long late lunch there.

I do plan to eat at China House (I must try their Peking Duck) and at Bed. I'm also thinking about the Thai place at the Pen. I always have one dinner at Thara Thong (the Thai place at the Royal Orchid - lovely setting, lovely food).
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

This is my 3rd try posting this!
Kathie or others-- could you describe and compare the thai restaurants at the Pen and ROS? Trying to decide which one to go to. Lemongrass is now in my probable list.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM

Gloria, I haven't been to the Thai restaurant at the Pen, but can describe the one at teh Royal Orchid.

It is located on the lobby level, at the back, overlooking the river. The restaurant feels large and airy as it has floor to ceiling windows on three sides. There is lots of natural wood. You take off your shoes to go to the dining level (they do "cheat" by having space beneath the table wheere you put your feet).

The dishes tend to be very spicy, so if you like less spice, do specify. They have a nice variety of dishes including my favorite appetizer, miang cuim (I know I've spelled it wrong) which is a northern Thai dish where you are presented with a variety of condiments to wrap in leaves and eat.

I've benn eating there for years, and have always found the food and service to be consistently good.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:48 PM
CFW

Gloria, just curious why you have crossed Harmonique off your list. Bob, You mentioned the Thai restaurant on the river at Shangrila recently. Was it good or not so good -- can't remember. Mahanaga is really beautiful, but the food was just so-so, although I think it may have been what we ordered.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:13 PM

CFW---the thai place at sh-la got bad reviews here recently...that is why i mentioned it...i have not been there to eat..only to look...

gloria---the penn thai place....

it is totally outside...only open on good nites...not open for lunch...there are tables out near the river and there are what i call pavillions with roofs over them and they are raised up one step...this is where we sat..

there is a medium sized a la carte menu and there are 3 tasting menus for two...when we were there the menus for two were priced at 1900, 2200 and 2400 B...there is tons of food and very well prepared and served...we choose the middle one because of the offerings...i might suggest that you get the menu ahead of time to study it...there was great variety...

the restaurant is set off between the green grass area and the pool and is totally enclosed by fencing and buildings...its like eating in a small thai village with all the villagers (the rich ones)....there are lots of trees overhanging the area...it could not be nicer...

the service was good and the atmosphere excellent...has to be better than ROS---a devil made me say that...give it a try...have a drink at jesters afterwards or before...

i have been twice to lemongrass and we thought it run down and only mediocre...i would not go back there, but ex-pats and travelers alike give it good marks...

gloria...have you tried baan khanitha on soi 23, sukhumvit rd?? we have enjoyed our meals there---some say the food is not good but that has not been our experience...

enjoy
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:19 PM

Bob, despite your review (lol) I'm putting the Thai place at the Pen on my list. I already have too many places listed and I've got 9 days/nights in Bangkok.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:39 PM

kthie---you will love it...sorry to hear about the theft....no idea of a dealer....all of those antique shops scare me quite honestly...did you read bangkok 8??
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Bob- thanks for the detailed report on the Pen restaurant.

I'm among those that found the food at baan khanitha very mediocre.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:30 AM
CFW

Bob, I tried but couldn't find the review of the Thai restaurant at Shangrila. Was curious about it -- some have raved about the setting, so wanted to read more about it. Was it the food the person didn't like? Gloria, I agree with you about Baan Kanitha Soi 23 - lovely setting but mediocre food. When you are in Chiang Mai this trip do try the Grand Lanna on San Kampaeng Rd. (now part of the new Mandarin Oriental). The setting is gorgeous, and we thought the food some of the best we had in Thailand. I think you will like.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

CFW- Grand Lanna is on my must list for Chiang Mai. Were there other restaurants you liked? Hmm maybe I'll start a separate thread on that.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Bob, yes, I did read Bangkok 8 - great read.

I'll just have to look at what I can find in Bangkok in terms of the Tibetian items. I fear that they are really not replaceable...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -