Does anyone have a favorite restaurants list in Bangkok that they can post

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Especially looking for a first night restaurant near the Royal Orchid.
Don't want fancy (and don't really want to eat in the hotel) but would enjoy a really good meal as an introduction before we crash.

If anyone has a "my favorites" list they can email me or post, that would be terrific.

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM

I guess Tongue Thai would be good or Gpandas fav Gallery Cafe (I have only been to TT)
Bob has a list if he logs on sometime soon am sure he will post it
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Harmonique is the other one in the area and my favorite. rhkkmk has a list which you can do a search on but I think between Harmonique, Tongue Thai and Gallery, you've basically got it covered. There's also China House and other restaurants at the Oriental but they might qualify as "fancy".
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Others have covered the three places closest to the ROS that aren't fancy. Harmonique is always fun, but be forewarned that the service is renowned for being lackadasical at best. Don't hesitate to wave your arms if you need attention or to go to the cash register if you want to leave and they haven't brought your check.

Gallery has some good food. Two cautions: one, they have a massage place upstairs. Once when we went there, the smell of Tiger Balm was so strong that we couldn't stay. Andy says he's never run into that problem. The other problem I've had there is that each time I go they seem to be repairing or replacing ceiling light fixtures and there is much drilling and banging. That said, their food is good and has some pizzazz.

Tongue Thai, in my experience, serves their food very bland. If you go there, tell them to spice it up a bit. Food was competently prepared, but lacked spice.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

I know Bob said that he had a list....I emailed him a few days ago but he may be out of town or busy....

thanks for your suggestions. I've copied and pasted all of them.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Bob is on a two month trip in SE Asia but he is logging on every few day... dont worry he will spot this thread and post the list
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 03:55 AM

i will not have access to it for a few days
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 04:08 AM

The Gallery Cafe is just around the corner from the Roayal Orchid. Turn right out of the lobby, follow the street around as it bends left at the Portugese Consulate and Gallery cafe will be on your right before you get to the main road, Charong Kreung (New Road). take a look at the objets d'art in the store right after the bend in the road.

Harmonique is also very good. It's a slightly longer walk, but doable. It's not open Sundays and is closed some weird times. have the concierge call.

Tongue Thai is down around the Oriental Hotel and could be easily combined with a look at the grand dame.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Bob (rhkkmk) gave me this wonderfully extensive list of his favorites in Bangkok in 2006. He may have updated it already but he is out of town so I thought maybe I would post it for him for now. See Bob you have little travel elves here waiting to help others with all the wonderful advice you have given us. Hope you don't mind, Bob. I did not know how soon jaspertl needed the list

rhkkmk’s FAVORITE BANGKOK RESTAURANTS AS OF OCT 2005 (revised 12-31-06)

I will divide the restaurants by cuisine for easier reference….some I have only eaten at once but many I go back to over and over again….generally food is far cheaper in thailand, and presented in a much more pleasing and innovative way with great pride and courtesy, than what you find elsewhere in the world…

THAI

Tongue Thai---spicy thai restaurant located directly behind OP Place which is in back of the Oriental Hotel (1/2 block off of new road)….small place with maybe 10-12 tables…moderate price…they will spice the food to suit your desires…res not necessary…lunch and dinner…very high on our list of favorites…dinner for two with beer and bottled water about $30---1200 B We had three meals there in 2006, two were ok and one was excellent…it has perhaps slipped to #2 thai in Bkk for us… $45 for two , $36 for two another nite…
18-20 charoen krung rd, soi 38 tel: 0-2630-9918

Harmonique---unique thai restaurant…located in a former alleyway between a couple of buildings, and in some rooms directly off of that alley…when it rains, if you are sitting in the alleyway you get wet…eclectic décor…owned and operated by 3 (2?? 2006) old
people—family…delicious…reasonable--$22.---855 B full dinner with hors d’, mains, rice, mango and sticky rice and beers and waters….huge menu….22 New Rd (Charoen Krung Rd), soi 34…Tel: 02-630-6270….the soi is just to the left of the huge general post office on new road….there is a colorful archway over the entrance to the soi and the restaurant is down the soi about 200 feet on the right….they will hail a taxi for you when you leave if you ask them…also very high on our list…2006---stays at the top of our list, based on quality of food, serving size,
price, variety of menu----service is still slow but who cares at this price and quality----closed Sundays…also closes for holidays from mid-December to early January….the male owner was not seen this year….have never made a reservation….a/c room on the right has been cleaned up and painted (well partially painted) and has a new tile floor…we have only eaten in this room which is a bit isolated but cool and dry (if it rains)—you have to ask for a/c on arrival…appetizer plate with 4 choices, chicken cashew (best in Thailand!!), fried morning glories (best in thailand too!!), rice, beer and water, mango and sticky rice…505 B ($13.75 for 2)….800 B another visit--$22…

Celedon at the Sukhothai Hotel on south sathorn road….expensive….beautifully served and decorated thai dishes…worth a visit if in the area…we thought it overpriced and food was so so….we are told they have an excellent Sunday brunch (featuring lots of chocolate)…..2006 – did not visit Gallery Café---86-100 New Road, soi 30 Tel: 02-639-5580…near the Sheraton Orchid Hotel…from the door of the Sheraton turn right , go to the end of capt bush rd, turn left…it is along that stretch of the road on the right before you reach new rd….excellent…moderate…massages available on second floor…eat in or out…lovely asian decorations….good service…food is very tasty…mostly foreigners as customers…$29—1154 B full dinner with one glass of wine, one beer and bottled water…a gpanda favorite…nice gift shop 2006---still a nice and convenient place to eat….shop has even nicer things
than previous years….did not record price, but still moderate…excellent
service and food..

Spice Market---located within the Four Seasons Hotel on Rajadamri rd…average thai food prepared with foreigners in mind….not very spicy… nice plain restaurant atmosphere…moderate to expensive….
2006—did not visit….a favorite with many foreigners….

Face, Thai Restaurant---29 soi 38, Sukhumvit rd….Tel: 66-02-713-6048…open lunch and dinner….excellent thai food and preparation…expensive…lovely setting…beautiful at nite with candles…$45 for lunch—1385 B…see also Indian section…hard to find on soi 38…watch for a black sign on the left of the soi with a gold face on it…
Did not visit in 2006-----excellent spa on premises as well as bakery and Indian restaurant (see below) and a bar…res essential for dinner….

Lemongrass---Soi 24, Sukhumvit rd….old thai house….res essential or you will be turned away…so so food and atmosphere….we would not go back there, but many love it and it is always crowded with tourists and ex-pats…moderate…it is sort of run down…
2006 did not visit but Kathie reported a great meal there…

Baan Khanitha, soi 23, Sukhumvit rd…there is another one, but we have not yet been there—it is on sathorn rd…old thai house…lovely atmosphere…lunch or dinner…res suggested…Tel: 02-258-4181…delicious thai food well prepared and elegantly served…carved decorations…good service…moderate to expensive…$35---1377B dinner with appetizers (always given free, house selection, unique to this restaurant), mains, rice, beers and water, mango and sticky rice…
2006---did not visit either one although did drive by new on on
sathorn—looks nice..

Cabbages and Condoms, soi 12 Sukhumvit rd….cheap thai food…eat in or
out…project of the international population control center…shop, with
everything made out of condoms…food was bland…tourists love it…lovely garden dining outside if you wish…we would not go back there—uninspiring… 2006—did not visit

Salathip at the Shangri-la Hotel…indoor or outdoor dining, next to the
river…thai…lovely red thai pavilion building…have not eaten there myself but have looked at the very varied menu….recent reports not good…expensive… 2006---did not visit yet again…

Sala Rim Naam---opposite the Oriental Hotel on the other side of the
river…owned by the Oriental…site of their nightly dance show…also dinner only…expensive…food decent …uncomfortable seating for dance show…show good if you like thai dance…they also provide outside lunch/dinner only service, sans show…. Take boat from hotel…
2006 – did not visit

Thanying---behind the holiday inn silom…10 soi Pramvan, Silom road…old thai house, formal dining…good food, moderate to expensive…2006 – did not visit but did drive by..

Thalaythip at the Peninsula Hotel…al fresco dining…dinner only and only on non-rainy nites…excellent…dine near to the river…3 tasting menus with excellent choices or an a la carte menu…set meals for 2 in the 1900-2500 B price range….moderate…$65 or 2600 B for middle priced tasting menu for 2….res necessary…one of our favorites…menus have great variety… 2006—did not eat there this year, but noticed a small 2nd floor dining area…

Jim Thompson House and Main Store (Suriwongse rd)….excellently prepared thai and western dishes, lunch and dinner…reasonable….new restaurant at the JT House Museum is large and well appointed, although modern…fits nicely with old houses on property…walk from national stadium stop of skytrain…Main store: 2nd floor….Suriwongse rd at junction with Rama IV rd…excellent place for lunch while shopping…worth a trip just to eat….lots of local business people were eating there when I ate lunch there in june, ‘05…always cheap and excellent….$10 or 400B…2 mains and 2 desserts with water…excellent desserts….we eat there at least once per trip…so cheap and good quality…there are other jim Thomson eateries around town….all excellent… 2006---did not visit house….main store remains a favorite…prices up a bit… there is a new JT café at the outlet on soi 93, sukhumvit…limited menu but a great addition..5th floor…

There is a new thai restaurant next door to the Six Degrees restaurant at 42 convent road…it is very attractive and the food is excellent we are told…can’t wait to try it…moderate to expensive…bright and airy with tons of plants…very modern.. the name is Naj Exquisite Thai Cuisine…Tel: 66-2-632-2811
2006---had a reservation but went elsewhere in some minor re-arrangements of plans

Kaew Saveoy---on the ground level of the Marriott resort and spa mini
mall…in back of the bank and directly across the parking lot from the
Swenson’s ice cream…very cheap…mostly thai families eating there….excellent simple thai food…clean…$15 or 612 B…beers and glass of wine, many mains and mango and sticky rice…tons of food..
2006---remains good with low prices…600 B with beers…excellent service and tasty…

Supatra River House—266 Soi Wat Rakhang, Arunamarin Rd..Tel: 02-411-0305.. This restaurant is located directly on the river, up opposite the grand palace….lovely building with a huge dock for their private boat and other boats to dock at…their boat comes from a parking lot across the river (call for instructions)…delicious food but expensive…only had lunch there…4000-5000 B for 5 people without booze….wonderful restaurant also on the water at hua hin at a far cheaper price (our #1 rest. In HH)—2006

MahaNaga—2006---after passing it up mainly because of price in previous
years we did go there this time largely based on kathie’s and other’s
suggestions….huge disappointment…2 sukhumvit, soi 29…first building in on the right from sukhumvit…Tel: 02-662-3060..the location is fantastic and so is the building and its setting…the more we sat there the more we felt it was overdone…service was showy and aloof, but moderately attentive…Karen feels our waiter was new so this may be part of the issue….very few people there for dinner at 8PM…expensive….1853 B .. $50…no desserts…food was ok but nothing special …will not return…

Basil at Sheraton Grande Hotel, Sukhumvit Road….guenmai has raved about this restaurant and others have had good comments but we were totally under whelmed…our waitress, the head person, was totally distracted and bordered on rude….no greeting, no smile, no warmness---one of the few times we have ever experienced this in thailand…strangely other times have also been in Sheraton hotels…food was decent but a bit bland..karen used the word “unimpressive”…combo appetizer platter, chicken and cashews, beef with mushrooms and asparagus and a house fried rice, one glass of wine and one beer plus water—we were so unhappy with the meal that we skipped dessert---1871 B--$51…they offer what travelduo and guenmai have reported to be an excellent cooking school….we intended to do that but after such a bad meal experience we decided against it…we might give it another chance another trip??

INDIAN

Rang Mahal on the 26th floor of the Rembrandt Hotel, soi 18, sukhumvit rd…. great views of bkk…wonderful Sunday brunch…mostly Indian families…res necessary and ask for a window seat…Tel: 02-261-7100, ext 7532…also open nightly for dinner (not sure about lunch)….delicious food well prepared and served…brunch is huge and turns over quickly---very fresh…brunch 575 B each (june, ’05) --$14.50….very very high on our list..2006---still at the top of our list for Indian…excellent brunch

Face---Hazara Restaurant…only open for dinner…in Face complex, soi 38,
sukhumvit rd…reconstructed thai houses….candle lit at nite….excellent
food…restaurant is on the 2nd floor of one of the houses…res.
necessary…moderate to expensive…huge menu…$43---1700 B for two…full dinner with beers and water…high on our list..
Also thai restaurant at same location (see above), plus spa and bakery and bar…only thai section is open for lunch …see above…
2006---did not visit

Himali Cha Cha---off new road, not far from harmonique but on other side of street…excellent Indian food…small restaurant….… moderate…a favorite of karen’s….
Branch off of sukhumvit closed in 2006…

ITALIAN

Biscotti---in the Four Seasons Hotel, Rajadamri Rd…excellent Italian
meal…german or swiss chef (new chef in 2006)…open kitchen…innovative and attractive servings…excellent pizza and soups as well as intricate entrees and first courses…artful…one of our most special favorites…moderate to expensive…$73---2930 B…full meal…beer and glass of wine, 2 first courses, 2 main courses and 2 desserts, plus one cappuccino…meal would be $200 in usa…there is a sense of excitement at this restaurant…only thing to change in 4 years are the prices and they are up about 30%....well worth it however…special occasion or a break from thai food…Tel: 02-250-1000… 2006---remains a favorite—new chef I read recently but not during our visit.. 4048 B ($109)—one beer and one glass of wine ($12); water, crab
salad, parmigiana, 2 beef tenderloins, 2 fantastic deserts

L’Opera, 53 Sukhumvit, soi 39…on a corner where road goes to the left…not easy to spot…worth the effort however…excellent italian foods, well prepared…huge servings…all the favorites…good service…interesting
interior…$40 or 1600 B for full dinner…also open in Yangon, Myanmar….will go again and again…Did not visit in 2006

Gianni’s…off Lang Suan…very disappointing and expensive…lots of
attitude…would not return…Angelini in the Shangri-la Hotel…two level restaurant with view out to river over swimming pool…excellent lounge with live western music that can be heard throughout the restaurant….expensive….$7.50 for a small pony size bottle of Evian water (that made me mad)….excellent dinner…very romantic…delicious food…great presentation…maybe $75+ without a bottle of wine…
2006—did not visit

Lalo Italian---corner of soi 23 and Sukhumvit….small modern
restaurant…decent food…moderate…we only had pizza for lunch…good place for lunch or even dinner…good location…2006—did not visit

Six Degrees, new restaurant at 42 convent road, off of silom…excellent, hip place…minimalist…excellent food…straight forward service…highly suggested as an alternative dining place…$48 or 1836 B…glass of wine, beer, two appet., 2 main and two desserts…we look forward to returning….excellent looking thai place next door…Tel: 02-632-2995…2006—did not visit

Buono Italian Restaurant---286 Silom Rd…located in a house set back from the street and just next to the Evergreen Laurel Hotel…excellent full service Italian rest…moderate…2006—did not visit…

Portifino on the 2nd floor of the Bumrungrad Hospital….odd place indeed for a good Italian restaurant…33 sukhumvit, soi 3..Tel: 02-667-2580…open lunch and dinner…we had lunch and it was delicious…not cheap, but affordable…expansive menu…thank you carol…2006

Shaz in the lobby of the Majestic Grande Hotel on soi 2, sukhumvit…behind the JW Marriott hotel….thank you carol again!!..we had dinner res but had to cancel but made it back for lunch and are glad we did.. excellent service and delicious food… attractive restaurant on the first floor…953 B--$26---pizza, caesar salad, drinks…expensive but fantastic and beautifully presented….2006----would definitely return there….getting good marks for rooms also….we looked at them…they are small but decent…

ASIAN

Le Delat Indochine---Vietnamese…cousin restaurant on same street: Le Delat (permanently closed in 2006)…excellent ….beautiful presentation and tasty food (2006—not overly tasty)…grow all of their own greens so this is a place to eat lettuce, etc…old thai house…costumed wait staff…excellent service…exceptionally fresh…14 Sukhumvit road, soi 23…Tel: 02-661-7967….moderate…res suggested.. 2006---good alternative--$51…res. necessary…lunch and dinner..fried carp is their specialty and its presentation is worth the price of the dinner alone…

Liu restaurant on 3rd floor of the Conrad Hotel, Wireless rd…excellent fixed priced dim sum luncheon…select items from a 36 item menu…unique dim sum…all you can eat…the best we have ever had…I can’t get enough of this place….highly highly encourage you to visit…600 B or $15 per person….total bill 1458 B one time and 1500 B the next visit…high high on my list… 2006—remains my favorite for dim sum….huge menu for dim sum—42 items..1883 B a la carte this time--$51, but worth every cent---huge quantity of food for this meal…2nd visit 1200B --$33 fixed price menu…

Mei Jiang at the Peninsula Hotel…lower level, 333 Charoennakorn Rd, Tel: 02-861-2888…res not necessary…dim sum and other asian specialties…lovely setting, overlooking the hotel lawn…excellent attentive service..limited dim sum menu but Karen says it is the best she has ever had---very unusual choices and all delicious….expensive…1030 B $28, 2nd visit 1383 B ..$37…2006

Oishi, Japanese Restaurant, Thonglor soi 10, Sukhumvit rd, soi 55…Tel:
02-712-2456..Lunch stop for their buffet….anything Japanese and they have it…decent but not fabulous but reasonable…$30 for 2….

China House, Oriental Hotel, Oriental Lane, Tel: 02-659-9000…recently
renovated (2006) into a ‘Shanghai Opium House’ look-a-like…lovely to look at, horrible to work or eat in….they have ruined a perfectly good
restaurant….the rhkkmk’s and the gpanda’s had longed for the peking duck that fodorites rave about (1100 B and will feed 4 with an additional dish or two--$30)—beware there are two peking ducks listed on the menu—one is much cheaper than this one.….we had it and are completely non-plused….there was nothing wrong with it, it just wasn’t fantastic, ioo’s—none of us had had it before and will probably never order it again…we were badly disappointed, and the service was awkward at best….lets put it this way…we left no tip…!!
They did know it without even a word from us, and the restaurant manager offered us a complimentary dessert….he was ‘no wheres’ to be seen when we left the restaurant even though he had been falling all over us upon arrival…2006
We had been twice to the old china house for dim sum and quite enjoyed
it…now we will never return….but this does not mean that you should not try it….i had to be honest in my comments…

GENERAL/INTERNATIONAL

The Loft on 7th floor of the Central Chitlom Department Store, Plenochit road…direct access from skytrain…excellent upscale cafeteria…unique system for purchasing and paying…very fresh food…almost any cuisine you want…inexpensive to moderate…staff provides some table service…each thing we tried was excellent and very very fresh…italian pizza for two with water and desserts $11—431 B…Japanese tempura for two $22—866 B…quick and delicious….shop and eat at the same time….great place for a break during shopping…lots of shops are near by as well…freshly made items/ongoing and cooked to order…will go often in future…. 2006---remains perfect lunch destination—852 B--$23…huge sushi selection, water for me and Karen had pasta plate—waters and desserts…

Crepes and Co…18/1 soi 12, Sukhumvit rd…Tel: 02-653-3990..directly next door to cabbages and condoms…open from early morning to late at nite…middle eastern food as well as crepes of all sorts…a favorite for a full meal or for just a dessert…dining inside or out…Swiss owned…relaxed atmosphere…moderate..very fresh and delicious….$28 (1100 B) for full dinner with glass of wine and beer and two courses…. $19 (750 B) for late nite supper…all very delicious…unique in bkk….high on our return list…we have eaten there many many times…2006—contiunes to be a favorite—1100 B--$ 30

Lord Jim---located in the Oriental Hotel…Tel: 02-659-9000…one of the best luncheon buffets in bkk…about $27 per person…emphasis on fish/seafood but loads of other items…very extensive…lovely view out to the river from large picture windows…excellent for dinner as well…
2006---simply fantastic buffet…one of our best meals of 2006…expensive…expanded varieties over previous years—2519 B--$68…no
booze…almost anything you might want to eat…res important for best tables overlooking the river…

Senses---simple restaurant located in the lobby on the 2nd floor of the
Gaysorn Plaza on Plenochit…lunch and dinner…excellent sandwiches and
entrees…moderate…gaysorn is an upscale designer plaza with nice thai shops on its 3rd floor…2006—did not visit

Senor Pico…excellent Mexican restaurant located in the Rembrandt Hotel on soi 18, Sukhumvit rd…moderate to expensive but very good… 2006—did not visit, but most consider it the best mex in bkk….

Suan Lum nite market at the corner of Rama IV and Wireless roads….open air beer garden and restaurant in addition to a tourist orientated nite
market…one stop shopping especially when you don’t have much time in bkk…. Still open in december, 2006

Gourmet Gallery---6/1 soi Promsri 1 which is a right turn off of soi 39, Sukhumvit rd…Tel: 02-260-0603…restaurant is located behind a row of shops on the soi…on the right, look for a small parking lot behind a dry cleaners…excellent continental meals…onion soup a specialty—get the one with the “hat”….good steaks…excellent desserts…we almost always go there the nite before our long plane ride home…American style food…moderate…$33 or 1339 B for glass of wine, 1 beer, 2 filet mignon, 2 desserts… 2006---unfortunately did not visit in 2006

Uno---ground floor restaurant/coffee shop/bakery at the Marriott resort and spa…simple fare like pizza, salads, bakery items and limited menu including the famous Marriott burger made with American beef…a quick stop for a bite or bakery items…moderate..2 caesar salads, desserts and with water…$24 or 1070 B..
2006---ate there a couple of times…no more Marriott burger…good but moderate to expensive….great salad bar…

Bed Supper Club---soi 11, Sukhumvit road…unlike anything else in bkk or this world…you sit on 50 foot long beds with bed trays as your table, bathed in white sheets, with loads of pillows to prop you up..…everything is white in the place….gourmet meals--continental….set meal on weekends and choice of 3 appts. and 3 mains and 3 desserts during the week…during the week the price is 1090 B per person (june, ’05)…expensive…our total bill was $69 or 2640 B…excellent drink list…good service…res necessary…lounge/club attached…free
entertainment each evening…dj with good tunes…projections on walls of
animation…good for all ages…adults only—over 20 I think…Tel: 02-651-3537.. 2006---we did not visit—its really a one time thing we think…we maintain that the food is excellent contrary to some reports…

Manohra---sunset cruise on the chao payra river…operated by the Marriott resort and spa hotel…one hour cruise up the river to memorial bridge and back at the time of sunset…lovely trip and chance to enjoy a cocktail…dinner cruises also available, however we consider the food storage and preparation on the edge…many other hotels also offer dinner cruises on the river… 2006---complimentary cruise offered with our accommodations…a nice leisurely hours ride to observe river activities…

Saladaeng Café—one of the Jim Thompson restaurants, also called JT Farmers Market…1 Saladaeng, soi 1, Silom….similar menu to other JT outlets…excellent place for lunch or dinner…sort of in back of the dusit thani hotel…near to the nite market..cheap to moderate…
2006---did not visit in 2006

Sky Bar…atop the State Building at the corner of Silom and New roads….64 floors up… an open air bar with an unparelled views of Bangkok and beyond…there are several other venues up there as well including the ultra expensive Sirocco restaurant….don’t go if it is going to rain…indoor and outdoor dining…2 beers at the bar are a whopping 610 B or $15….well worth a visit on a clear nite…we were there as a thunder storm approached and it was unbelievable…2005

White Lodge—41 sukhumvit, soi 4, Tel: 02-251-1701…quaint English looking building down past all the hub-bub of soi 4 on the left… lovely dining room with both thai and continental food….we had a quick lunch there…2006----look out onto the pool of a local hotel…friendly service…525 B--$14—sandwiches and water…

Witch’s Tavern English Pub, 306/1 sukhumvit, soi 55…Tel: 02-239-9791…we did not eat there but nicely located amongst the shopping area of soi 55….2006

Fiji Japanese Restaurants….a chain with shops popping up in various places around Thailand….we ate in the one in Hua Hin which was excellent….they have about 32 (2006) in Bangkok…excellent fresh sushi and other Japanese specialties…475 B for 2--$13…very cheap…we both had a set meal with soups, and a main…excellent value and delicious…we do not like chains generally…

Flow, the main restaurant at the new Hilton Hotel on the river—“other
side”…much of the front, riverside, of this hotel is devoted to a series of restaurants….most have no walls, just dividers, that make one sort of ‘flow’ from one to the other…there is a huge open kitchen and a very unusual buffet area….we took lunch one day at flow so that we could experience the hotel….we were quite impressed….we were not expecting much as one senior bkk hotel person had told us the food was terrible…we found quite the opposite…huge windows allow a fabulous view out to the river and river city shopping center on the other side…they have an office, like the penn does, on the other side of the river at river city shopping center, so you can just go in there (entrance from outside the building on the river side and nearest to the Sheraton) and they will call the pathetic Hilton boat for you…did not record the price but a simple lunch was hotel prices, but it was fresh and delicious…Guest rooms are weird—we will glad we cancelled our res there and stayed at penn instead….

360---this is the bar at the new Hilton…it is on its top floor and is
perhaps floor 34?? The bar completely circles the round top of the
building, thus its name….the views are fantastic…we were there in the
afternoon and it was not operating so we got a good walk around…highly
suggest a nite time visit or late afternoon (sunset)….it has its own
elevator or it can be reached by the regular elevators and you enter through the club lounge and then have to climb one flight of stairs…

Le Bouchon…the oldest French restaurant in bkk…37/117 Patpong II, Tel:
02-234-9109. A bit difficult to find but it is there about ½ down patpong on your right if you access from silom…set back from the soi a bit…just ask anyone…very small and simple like a real neighborhood paris bistro, and I was told they do not take res…does not open until 7…3 of the 4 of us had delicious dinners, mine was under cooked stew….all your favorite French things, and moderate in price….did not record the actual price…moderate…2006---would return again….

Cy’an in the Metropolitan Hotel , 27 South Sathorn Rd….Tel:
02-625-3333—total minimalist hotel…cool and calm as you enter the front
doors—black and white…fusion…delicious and expensive…$140 for two…3 courses and a few drinks including wine by the glass…a splurge but a memorable one…I thought the food quite delicious, others were turned off by the price I think…

Tawandang Brewery…a german brewery in Bangkok…99% thais in this huge, and I mean huge place with a stage show…did not eat there but Brad says the food is very good and huge portions from what I observed….the beer is excellent…dispensed from 3 litre + cylinders with its own ring of ice to keep it cool…very dramatic…rama III… a young peoples place really….good nite out…2006

Many food outlets at the new paragon mall on plenochit rd….check them out and a gourmet grocery and wine and cigar shop in the basement…..2006

Marriott Resort and Spa Sunday Brunch in the Trader Vics Restaurant…billed as the ‘best brunch in Bkk’, just as each other hotel bills themselves…every cuisine represented….huge undertaking and very delicious…soup to nuts affair….1500 B per person ++ --$48 each all in….unlimited booze of certain types…we took 3 hours there….we did not find one thing that we did not think was perfect….fois gras to satay to ice cream sundays….nice laid back affair to talk with friends and lay low….

I hope that this gives you some ideas on where to eat in Bangkok….it is one of the best eating cities on this globe….there are many, many more restaurants, but these are our favorites, and some not so favorites…bon appetite!!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM

to eat good thai food at good price try out 13 coins restaurnt in silom and i not remember their branches, taken there by thai friend the food was good...the pizza was excellent...at really cheap price.

was informed they have 20 restaurant all over bangkok and 30 years old.........the place looked old enough.but the food was good.

i went to a small indian restaurant on sukhumvit 4 called bollywood.excellent place for good indian food.the manager there JANAK great guy.we r friends now and hope to visit again and see the guy.....really in love with the guy.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM

thanks paul....for some reason i have never downloaded this to my laptop....its only on my main computer...

i will be doing an update in july and will also be adding things...
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 05:02 AM

Bob
I hope you have time to try Kinnaree before you come home. It's the one on soi 8 just down from the Adelphi Suites. Lovely place!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all that replied.
Paula! I've copied and pasted all your (Bob's suggestions) and thanks for taking the time to do that for me.

Bob emailed me from Thailand (Thank you) with some great suggestions and said that he would be updating his restaurant list when he returns.

In the meantime I've started a file with all the placed you've all recco'd.

You're all wonderful! thanks!!!!1