Tokyo 1 week itinerary - need help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo 1 week itinerary - need help

Need suggestion and help on transportation
My plan :
Day 1 morning from Best Western Shinjuku Astina Hotel to Asakusa temple for sakura viewing. Then to Zaou Sushi for lunch. Then to Disneyland for the rest of the day. Dont need Disneyland whole day cos had been to others, so should about the same. Intend to do half day for picture taking and more interested in the light parade in the evening.
Need guidance on train taking. Intend to get SUICA card.

Day 2 full day trip to Mt Fuji (follow tour) USD150/pax, no need to worry about getting lost and since only 1 day trip, let the expert guide us through.

Day 3 morning to Fish Market at 5am, is it too early or late? Sushi breakfast. Then shopping, please suggest. Maybe Euno? Then to Tokyo Government Building for viewing, what time does it close? 5pm? Need help on the train plan too.

Day 4 check out from Best Western Shinjuku Astina Hotel and check in at Ryokan Fuji. How do I get from one place to another? Pls suggest train plan. Balance of the day more shopping or where can I find an oyster farm to taste real fresh oyster? And where can I go for truly original kobe beef?

Day 5 Oedo-Onsen-Monogatari spa and statue of liberty, and Ginza shopping (Sony Building is here?).

Day 6 Narita Airport.

Basically this trip is for sakura, food and shopping and most importantly to have a feel of Japan that cannot be felt from guided tour.

Pls suggest if my schedule is too far from one place to another in the same day cos I am open to suggestion.

jentmy
Kuala Lumpur
p.s. if anyone in KL/PJ area who can guide me, I will be glad to bring you out to dinner and you can help me on my train planning and itinerary planning.../wink wink
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
kja

Hi, jentmy -

For information on how to get from one place to another, check the japan.com Web site:

http://www.japan-guide.com/

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Day 1: Walk from your hotel to JR Shinjuku Station (about 10minutes walk). Take the JR Chuo Line (orange colored train) to Kanda Station, at Kanda Station, change to the Tokyo Metro Ginza Subway Line to Asakusa.

Tokyo Disneyland is not in Tokyo (just FYI) it is next to Tokyo in Disney. Ok it will be complicated from Asakusa, but if you follow these steps you will not get lost:
1. From Asakusa, take the GINZA SUBWAY LINE back to Kanda, at Kanda get back on the orange JR Chuo Line one stop to Tokyo Station. At Tokyo Station, change to the Keiyo Line in the basement (the transfer will take about 12~15 minutes because Tokyo Station is huge). Just follow the signs to the KEIYO line and you won't get lost. Take the Keiyo Line to Maihama Station. At Maihama Station change to the Tokyo Disney Monorail Line to "Tokyo" Disney.
It should take about 45~50 minutes from Asakusa total.

To get back to your hotel in Shinjuku, just go backwards to Tokyo, then take the Chuo Line back to Shinjuku Station.

LONG DAY that one!

Day 2 you go this covered no comment.

Day 3, Will be complicated, because the closest train station to the market isn't open at the time you need it. 5~6am is the market, honestly I would sleep, I could never understand what all the hype was about that place, BUT if you wanted to go, you will need to catch the very early morning JR Yamanote Line train to Shimbashi Station, then walk about 1km (15 or so minutes) to the fish market. First train is 4:42am out of Shinjuku.

TMG buildings are back in Shinjuku.

Day 4 Ryokan Fuji is located at Koiwa Station (this is some distance from Shinjuku) take the Yellow Chuo-Sobu Line direct to KOIWA station, about 40~45 minute train ride.

Day 5 Yes sony building is in Ginza. Onsen is located in Odaiba.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Isnt there a station called Tsukiji-shijo on Toei-Oedo line.
Isnt that closer to the market?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Yes there is a station called Tsukiji-shijo on the Oedo Line, however if you want to see the Auction, the Oedo line doesn't start running from Shinjuku until 5am. Which is why if you wanted to catch the auction, taking the JR route is the best way.

Now if you didn't want to catch the auction, then yes, just take the Oedo Line from Shinjuku Station (Oedo Line is the TOEI subway , not JR) to Tsukiji-shijo station.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM

jetmy,

The other posts above explain how to get to and from where you ask but I also note that you write;

"Basically this trip is for sakura, food and shopping and most importantly to have a feel of Japan that cannot be felt from guided tour"

Then may I humbly suggest that on the first day you cancel your plans for Disney and concentrate on the Akasuka and another area much closer that will help to fulfill your goals. You are cheating yourself imho if you try Disney for less than a day. You will miss what you have traveled so far to see.

On day one I would visit the Sensoji Temple as you had planned then visit the Nakamise Dori ,Shin-Nakamise and the Kappabashi dori areas for the excellent shopping and eating if you wish.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3001.html

There are a number of beautiful cherry trees around the temple but after your done with this area, catch the subway a couple of stops down to Ueno and visit Ueno park for more cherry blossom viewing this time in a huge venue with hundreds of trees and if you are in the prime season, thousands of people. If you time it right, it is a sight to behold.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3019.html

After you exit the park, you can go over to Ameyoko street market, which is the best open air market imho in Tokyo. There you'll find all kinds of deals on everything you could imagine.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3012.html

Just a few ideas for you to ponder.....I have a whole bunch on ideas and things to do in Shinjuku if you are interested

Aloha!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 01:26 PM

If you want for Sakura viewing (Hanami), then the best place would be Kudanshita (Chidoricho). Fantastic views...You can reach Kudanshita by subway Kudanshita Station(Eidan Tozai line, Eidan hanzomon line)....
The Indian Embassy, right in the heart of all this viewing, has a get-together called Sakura Bazaar where you can enjoy Indian delicacies (if you like Indian, i.e)
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Sorry its not Chidoricho. Its called Chidorigafuchi....
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM

sakura viewing and photography is a big fave of mine. best places to do so: chidorigafuchi koen (hanzomon station), while there go to the other side to see the imperial palace and some sakuras, walk or cruise along sumida river near asakusa, shinjuku gyoen (very spacious park) and ueno if you want to see the japanese picnic/party under the cherry blossoms.

if you've seen disneyland, go to disney sea instead. same place, completely different. lovely and fun place. only in japan. allow for enough time. water show at night is great and people wait for it.

dont miss shibuya crossing esp. at nite. best view from starbucks 2ndflr.

train help www.jorudan.co.jp/eng
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 09:25 PM

'I have a whole bunch on ideas and things to do in Shinjuku if you are interested'

hawaiian traveler: can you please share ideas on things to do in Shinjuku?
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Where's Nikko in your itinerary? You shouldn't miss a can't-miss place.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:52 PM

When is this trip, exactly?
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:24 PM

knemo,
Sorry, never saw your question till now and I know that you are in Japan already. Hope your having a good time.

mrw, missed you in LA, looks like the OP has not returned

Aloha!