Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need help getting to my Tokyo hotel from Narita

Feb 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm trying to find a JR route from Narita to the Sunroute Hotel in Asakusa. The hotel is a 1 minute walk from Tawaramachi Station and 8 minute walk from Asakusa Station which I assume are subway stations. The hotel has suggested that I take the Keisei Skyliner train to Ueno station and then change to subway Ginza line and get off at
Tawaramachi station. It's only about 2000 yen so it's not a big deal but if was possible to use my JR pass I would prefer to do that. Any ideas.
Feb 17th, 2005, 12:26 PM

You can exchange your voucher for your JR Pass at the JR station at Narita airport. Use the pass to take the Narita Express to Tokyo station and then use the pass to take the JR Yamanote line to Ueno. Then the Ginza line.
Feb 17th, 2005, 11:58 PM

Bonjour Robw95,

Going through Tokyo station will mean at least 30-45 minutes more than the Skyliner, crossing part of Tokyo station, which is huge, crowded and somewhat confusing the first time, then again changing inside Ueno, which can also be confusing depending on where on the platform you exit the train, then finding the Ginza subway line, all with your luggage.

I advise you to spend the Yen 2000 and arrive at Keisei Ueno, a very small station from where you just have to follow the signs towards the subway (less than 5 min through the underway passage). From there, Tawaramachi is a 5 min ride in a relatively empty carriage. In addition, there is a tourist info booth in Keisei station with English speaking staff, just as you exit the trains.

You can exchange your railpass voucher for the pass proper inside JR Ueno station the next day, instead of waiting in line at the JR office in Narita.
Feb 18th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl, florence:

thanks for the info.

Florence, I think that I'll take your advice and take the easier route especially after being on the plane for 12 hours and not worry about using my JR Pass.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM

We're also going from Narita airport to Asakusa, and we planned on taking the Keisei Skyliner to Keisei-Ueno station, so it sounds like we chose correctly.

Our hotel (Ryokan Shigetsu) is near the Asakusa subway station. Is that also on the Ginza line?
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
emd

alan64: Isn't this a return trip for you? I believe I have many of your old posts (very helpful) from your trip last year printed out to use for our first trip that starts March 12.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:17 PM

Yes it is. Once you get off at Ueno, look for the subway signs to Ginza subway line, (which you'll have no trouble finding-the sign is in English) go exactly 4 stops on the Ginza line to the end, and you'll be at Asakusa. Choose the Kaminarimon Gate exit. Walk through one of the most photographed sights in all of Japan, Kaminarimon-the entrance to Sensoji Temple, with the gigantic Japanese lantern hanging in the middle and the two demons (called Enma-O in Japanese) on either side, and walk straight up the Nakamise-Dori, (the road lined with Japanese souvenir shops) as if you are going straight to Sensoji Temple (which, in effect you are, because Ryokan Shigetsu is located on temple property).

As you're walking up the Nakamise-Dori, turn right at the first large cross street and go about 300 yards down this road behind the shops, and Ryokan Shigetsu will be just on the left-hand side. There is a Japanese restaurant adjacent to the Ryokan, and a restaurant across from it.

There is no large brightly lit entrance to the Ryokan Shigetsu-there is a sign, but it is outside on the walkway, and it is not lit. It is dead easy to find once you get there and know where it is relative to the Nakamise-dori, but it can be quite difficult to find it the first time, esp. at night.

If you have difficulty finding the Ryokan, just ask one of the shopkeepers on the Nakamise-Dori, they'll most likely walk you to the entrance.

By all means, you should try the terrific "Thai-Vietnamese Restaurant" (this is what is called) which is not more than a 5 min. walk out the door of the Ryokan to the right, on the other side of the Nakamise-dori from Shigetsu. Look up to the right, and you'll see a big white sign on the second story with the above lettering, go up the steps, and you'll find some of the best Thai/Vietnamese food I've had anywhere in the world. The Japanese server is excellent, speaks English, the cook is Thai, there's no one but Japanese in there, and it's relatively inexpensive. I consider it a real find in that area.
Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:07 AM

Bonjour Spygirl,

Just a minor correction:

"As you're walking up the Nakamise-Dori, turn LEFT at the first large cross street, then immediately right (don't enter the covered arcade) and go down this road behind the shops to the second street, and Ryokan Shigetsu will be just on the left-hand side."

See the access map here: http://shigetsu.com/e/access.html

Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:22 AM

I stand by what I said. The Ryokan Shigetsu is notoriously difficult to find-taxi-drivers can't find it-they have to stop and ask directions just like everyone else. I saw that even while I there, someone said the taxi-driver couldn't find the Shigetsu to pick someone up. The random Tokyo street numbering system is of no help-even longtime residents get lost, and many Tokyo maps (such as the one you refer to) are not to scale and confusing-the hotel map to Shigetsu is about the last thing I'd rely on to get me to the Ryokan-in fact, I attempted to rely on that map when I was making my way to the Shigetsu and it got me nowhere.

If you don't believe that it's difficult to find, just put in "directions to Ryokan Shigetsu" into the Yahoo search engine, and see what you get. You'll find many, many travelers who have related their woes in trying to find this Ryokan!

Alan-the best advice I can give you, is that once you get on the Nakamise-dori, ask one of the shopkeepers to direct you there-it's very close, but can seem, far, far away when you first attempt to find it.

Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the detailed replies. This is another example of why I love participating here.

emd, I started planning this trip back in October & Novemeber of last year, so any helpful posts were probably replies to my own questions. I've posted in the past on the Europe forum (I went to France & England last year, for example) but this is my first-ever trip to Asia. Best wishes for a good trip!
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:44 AM

Alan,

I don't want to enter into a fight with Spygirl, but as someone who has been to the Shigetsu (even before it was renovated, when it was the Asakusa Mikawaya Bekkan) regularly for more than 25 years, I advise you to trust my directions* and the map I've pointed you to. As a safety, you can indeed ask one of the shopkeeper. In fact, you'll most likely be accosted by a shopkeeper asking if you're looking for the Shigetsu, as soon as you look at a map, as it happened to me last May ;-)

* especially about the Shigetsu being on the LEFT side, second street after the main crossing, of the Nakamise shopping arcade when you face the temple.
Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:38 AM

hi florence, ikaga desuka? genki? don't wnat to take sides, but i agree with spygirls directions. . as you walk under the big red lantern, towards the temple, you make a right turn at one of the big crossing, and the shigetsu is on the left. less that 100 yds from the intersection. i stayed there last year during sanjamatsuri. it was a great festival, and i am trying to figure out away on how i can join them and help carry the mikoshi around asakusa. of course, the strategy and conditioning sessions the night before the parade over cases of beer would be a prereq.

robw; btw, if you keep walking past spygirls vietnamese restaurant, you will come to the best 290yen ramen shop in the area. there is a sign on the walkway so you can't miss it.
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:26 PM

I say: go straight!
Mar 4th, 2005, 12:00 AM

Bonjour Kuranosuke,

Could there be more than one Shigetsu ? ;-)

Anyway, the last time I've been staying at the Shigetsu we all seem to be talking was last May, then I've stayed at the Mikawaya Honten just next street, and I've just checked on a couple of Tokyo maps, so I'm afraid I have to stick to:

- when you face the temple from under the big lantern after leaving the subway station, the Shigetsu is on the second street on the LEFT after the crossing into Shin-Nakamise (covered arcade). You can take a left at the crossing, then a right just before the pharmacy/drugstore on the right corner (there is a shoes store on the left), then second street left (there's a Kama-Meshi restaurant at the corner of the first street).

It's not a question to be right and to prove you and Spygirl wrong, it's about poor Alan who's going to end up lost desperately looking for his hotel on the wrong side of the area ...
Mar 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM

hi florence:

well, if alans listens to both of us, he will find shigetsu, guaranty! .
i see it snowed in tokyo yesterday. you heading back there anytime soon?
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:05 AM
emd

Snow in Tokyo in March, ahyahyah. I guess I better reassess the jacket I intended to take w/me next week. And put the gloves and ear muffs back on the packing list too. Do they drink hot toddies of some sort in Japan, or do they just stick w/heating up the sake? There's always hot green tea I guess.
Mar 4th, 2005, 06:45 PM

I'll send my girlfriend left and I'll go right, and ONE of us should fine the Shigetsu! I'll be sure to report back here as to which one of us was successful!
Mar 5th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Like I said, Alan, the best advice I can give you, WITHOUT telling you left or right, is just ASK once you get on the Nakamise-dori-it will save you a heap of frustration. (it also depends on time of day-I would imagine it might be a bit easier to spot the unobtrusive Shigetsu sign in daylight than at night when I got there).
Mar 5th, 2005, 10:23 AM

emd; surely you jest....hot toddies or ocha over hot sake??? don't even think about it. .
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Just wondering whether alan64 (or other subsequent travellers) solved the riddle about finding the Shigetsu - do you turn right or left off the Nakamise Dori? Are there any other landmarks one should look for? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO