time for ginza?? 12 hr stopover

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:12 AM
victor

time for ginza?? 12 hr stopover

Hello,

I will be in Tokyo for 12 hrs before heading back home. Is this enough time to hit the ginza district? I move pretty fast! Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Florence

Bonjour Victor,

You most certainly have enough time to go downtown Tokyo. Here is an excellent page about Narita layover http://net.saipan.com/personal/mike_newman/narita/narita.html#top

In your case, I'd take the Keisei Skyliner train to Ueno (1 hour), then the subway to Ginza (15 min, Ginza line). The same subway line leads to Asakusa (10 min), a more traditional and manageable area.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Myszka

The other note is full of good information on how to get to Ginza. But another way to go, that may be a bit faster is to use the Narita Express Train (Leaves about every half hour) to Tokyo Station, (53 minutes) and then to get on the Marunochi Line (red stripe color) one stop to Ginza, which is two minutes away from Tokyo STation. Ginza is the most expenisve area in the world. While there, go to Tsukiji Fish market, depending on what time you arrive the bidding area may be closed, but the stalls on the side are open and fun to look and buy. You will also see the Kabuki Theater on this street. It stands out!! You will pass it on the left side, if heading toward Tsukiji. If you keep going down the street with your back to Tsukiji and keep to the left side, you will then be headed toward the heart of Ginza. At one point you will come to an intersection with Mitsukoshi on one side, Waco on the other, and you will see a tall building with a glass semi circle that goes all they way up the side of the building. Waco is supposed to be the most expensive store in the area. It also was the only building left standing from WWII in this area. While walking by the Glass building, you will notice a unique Police Station, opposite the police station look for a ground cafe, facing the cafe tables, look to your right for the good luck cat. Follow the directions on the cat on how to receive your good fortune. Continue up the street keeping the cat on your left side. You will eventually see the Shuto, (raised expressway) in front of you and will notice a tall building on your left, that is white with colored squiggles on it. This is the Sony building. Take the elevator up to the fifth floor and walk down. You will see all sorts of new gadgets that are on the market or may be on the market at some time. Just a fun place. Good luck, have fun. If I can answer any of you questions please do not hesitate to email me to ask for specifics. Myszka

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Florence

Bonjour Myszka ,

The reason I favor the Skyliner is that arriving in Keisei Ueno and switching to the Ginza line is much easier on a fist time, jet-lagged, visitor than finding one's way into Tokyo station.

In Ginza, on the way between Kabuki-za and Sony building is the Japan Sake Center (Nihonshu Center), where you can taste some 10 types of sake for free (but beware of not missing your train back to the airport afterward)

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Myszk

You are right that Tokyo Station can be more than a bit dunting at first, but when one comes in on the Narita Express and then goes up the two long escalaters it is easy to find the red line
over to the Marounichi Line and it is on the same side Of the station to find at the top of the last escalater.
When my husband and I were discussing this, he said the easiest way, would be to take the Narita Express to Tokyo Station then take a taxi to Ginza and have the person who is doing this just point on a map where they would like to be dropped off. Also from Tokyo Station, if the person wishes, they can hike about eight blocks to the Imperial Palace, which one cannot really see but everyone would like to go there anyway. The East Gardens are free and nice to walk through.
Thanks for the tip on the sake center. I have walked by it so often and always meant to go inside but just have not, for some reason. Next time I am in Ginza, ( I usually do my shopping on O'Daiba, because I can drive and find parking there) I will stop by it.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Florence

a taxi ride is easy if you already know where and how to flag one, and how to talk to the taxi driver, which is the case for you residents or me who has been there many times and can speak the language ;-)

What seems easy and obvious to us may not be for a casual visitor (especially on a short layover).

I've been inside the imperial palace once, as one of a number of kendo students invited by the Japanese federation for a special practice. Even there, it is far from what you expect a palace to be ...