Skyliner : Narita to Tokyo

Jun 14th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Skyliner : Narita to Tokyo

Does anyone have any experience with the newer SKYLINER train service from Narita to Tokyo station?
I saw that the trip takes only 37 mins?, instead of 1 1/2 hour via limousine bus.
I was told that the NEX train can be extremely busy during rush hour, is this a better choice?
How far is the FS from the train station? A taxi ride?
Jun 14th, 2018, 01:21 PM

Are you talking about the Keisei Skyliner? It doesn't go to Tokyo Station....
Skyliner | KEISEI Electric Railway

All seats on the N'EX are reserved.....
Jun 14th, 2018, 01:29 PM

Intex: The Four Seasons is a 5-minute walk from Tokyo Station. It's very easy. The exit to take, out of Tokyo Station, is on their website. When you go out that exit, Yaesu South, I think it was, then just turn right and walk out the sidewalk for about 5 minutes and the hotel is right there. The lobby is on street level and the hotel only occupies around 7 stories of the building that it's in starting at street level and up. Small hotel, on low floors, of a high-rise office building which is my preference as I prefer not to be in a high-rise building. I'm from earthquake California.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Jun 14th, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Jun 14th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

OK I now see it goes to Ueno, how far is Ueno from the FS. Maybe we can take a taxi from there
it looks like it is the fastest way into town, and not as crowded as the NEX if we go on rush hour
Jun 14th, 2018, 04:03 PM

https://matcha-jp.com/en/1046

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/ae_timetable/index.html

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Jun 14th, 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Jun 15th, 2018, 10:53 AM

"OK I now see it goes to Ueno, how far is Ueno from the FS. Maybe we can take a taxi from there
it looks like it is the fastest way into town, and not as crowded as the NEX if we go on rush hour"

Ok, you seem to be missing two points. (1) all seats on the NEX require reservations, which means you will have a seat and not have to stand, (2) Tokyo station is much more convenient than going to Ueno and taking a cab.

Also important - any time savings or financial savings from taking the Skyliner could easily be sunk into your taxi cost because Tokyo taxis are very expensive.
Jun 15th, 2018, 12:15 PM

Plus, who knows how long it will take to get a taxi from Ueno Station as it will be summer. And then, it's sitting in traffic all the way to the FS-Marunouchi. It will probably take longer than just taking NEX in the first place. Also, with the luggage carts at Narita Airport that one can take on the escalators, it's basically just pushing the luggage to the train area and getting on it and then getting off at Tokyo Station and then walking the 5-minutes to the FS-Marunouchi.

Happy Travels!
Jun 15th, 2018, 05:12 PM
mjs

I think you are over thinking this. If you have a lot of luggage take the bus as it does door to door and you are probably not going to do much in your jet lag day other than possibly walk around a little bit before having dinner and going to bed relatively early. You can otherwise take the train to Tokyo station. Walk down from the platform to the station, look for signs to the south exit or use the compass on your smart phone and it is probably less than a ten minute total walk to the 4S.
Jun 15th, 2018, 05:44 PM
kja

Overthinking, probably. Under-researching, definitely -- IMO. Consult the information about reaching your hotel on your hotel's web-site -- or find a hotel that offers that information. Or consult google maps. Definitely look at japan-guide.com. Consider packing less or using Japan's luggage forwarding option.
Jun 16th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

We are going to be using Luggae Forwarding from every hotel to the next, but from airport to town, I wasn't sure what the best option is. I will probably take the NEX, or Limousine Bus, but the bus may take too long, plus I am not a bus type of person - more a solitary man. All this mess is due to a ruptured disc thats now getting better, dont want to ruin a trip just because I decided to lift a suitcase.

Someone should think of a service to pick up your bags at airport, and rapidly get them to your hotel! If the Indians can do it with a million TIFFENS a day, someone should be able to figure it out.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Jun 16th, 2018, 10:13 AM
kja

Take an overnight bag. Forward the rest of your luggage.
Jun 16th, 2018, 10:33 AM
mjs

I believe the 4S will pick you up at the airport
Jun 16th, 2018, 10:56 AM

Yeah, it would be nice for a service that could just send luggage from the airport and direclty to one's hotel, but on the same day of arrival into a destination.

Happy Travels!
Jun 16th, 2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mjs View Post
I believe the 4S will pick you up at the airport
It's on their website.

https://www.fourseasons.com/tokyo/faq/

Happy Travels!
Jun 16th, 2018, 11:12 AM
kja

Yep. Consulting the web site of one's hotel is always a good starting point.
Jun 16th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Already contacted them but no pickup from airport except limo that’s over $200
better just go with train
Jun 16th, 2018, 09:00 PM
kja

Then again, consider carrying just an overnight bag each and sending the main part of your luggage ahead.
Jun 17th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Intex, even a standard taxi from Narita to a hotel in Tokyo is over $200, so $200 for a hotel car is a bargain.

Search this Thread