the Sukkothai hotel-bkk

Sep 15th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

the Sukkothai hotel-bkk

I had decided on the Marriot resort/spa but my bf heard wonderful reviews about the Sukkothai hotel. Would love to hear reviews from someone who has stayed there.

Am concerned about the convenince of getting around from their vs. the marriot and also the prices for services. Marriot seems a bit more in our price range.

We have 4 nights in BKK and may split them btw the 2 but would prefer not to.

Thanks!

Sep 15th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Sukhothai is a beautiful hotel. Exceedingly calm, almost hushed. very nice pool and great restaurant (Celadon). A bit pricier though, compared to others. In a busy area; have to walk 15 minutes to train or take taxi. nice walk to Lumphini Park....
Sep 15th, 2005, 01:14 PM

I have not stayed at the hotel but have been there. it is lovely but has a very empty feel to it -- no one is around. Very remote location. I'd stick with the Marriott.
Sep 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM

As others have said, the location is bad. The reviews I've read of the hotel are split, some love it some hate it. But no one can make up for the poor location.
Sep 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM

I would hardly call the location poor; it depends on what you are looking to do. For example, it's ideal for Muay Thai boxing!
Sep 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM

i dined at celandon this past june. the food was so-so. what really surprised me was that they let customers wearing tank tops and shorts into the restaurant. i'm not a snob, but i thought this was a rather high end restaurant. had i known their relax dress code, i would have worned shorts, with a nice jt polo shirt.
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Kuranosuke:
What kind of food does Celadon have? Any spam musubi's
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM

My concern about the location is two fold: it's sort of in the middle of nowhere (perhaps except for the boxing) and there is no readily available public transport such as the skytrain, subway or water taxi.
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM

celedon has thai food...beautifully presented but pricey...

angelgina....the two really are not comparable....the suk is really a 5* hotel with all the associated costs that go with that....the marriott is a 4* hotel in a more moderate range...i think the location of the two probably offset each other really....although because of the wonderful boat ride from marriott you have a plus and it takes you right to the skytrain...

the suk is beautiful and sleek in a modern thai style....i have not seen the rooms, but expect they are lovely---nicer than marriott i expect...the location is issolated imo....

go with the marriott for overall perfection....
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info . .I think the marriot is more waht i'm looking for. One concern is the water taxi's . .those operate at all hours?
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM

hawaiiantraveler, its thai kaukau. no spam musubi. but, i bet if i took a can of spam to my favorite squid with spicey veg. hawker on soi 11, she would cook it for me with 2 over easy, plus the squid. what an idea! yummmm
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:58 PM

I haven't stayed there, but called over there, about two trips ago, and made arrangements to see the place. I went for lunch,at the Celadon, and afterwards got a tour of the place and saw many rooms and at different price levels and the rooms are beautiful. I loved the place, although the skytrain is about a 15-minute walk. The Metropolitan Hotel...a really great place...is next door and I did stay there. There's no sky train near the Marriot either. If it were my FIRST trip to Bangkok and I were choosing between the Sukothai and the Marriot...although I must admit I haven't stayed at the Marriot yet, then I would probably go for the Sukothai. It has a very Thai feel to it and is very tranquil. The standard room was small, but the other rooms were very nice. I absolutely loved the Jr. Suite except for the fact that one couldn't view the TV from bed, but had to go into the separate livingroom area to do so. Happy Travels!
Sep 15th, 2005, 07:09 PM

the boats run from about 6AM to 11 or 12 midnight in all weather...they are big boats and very stable....on the way back to the hotel they now serve each person an iced face cloth and a chilled bottle of water...this was new this year....a welcome addition...

i know that i push the marriott all the time into people's faces, but i do that because it is an exceptional value and a lovely place to stay...the pool is the best in bkk and for many of us that is a must in bkk....if it has a weak point i would say that the restaurants are not fabulous and are quite pricey, although you have the alternatives available out in the mini mall....i can see how some feel the location is also a negetive...to us it is one of its strongest points....access is very easy via either taxi or boat and often it takes far shorter time to get into the central city via rama III rather than dealing with the silom/suriwong/wireless areas in a taxi.... the staff are one of its strongest points as well...
Sep 16th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks, what's the rama 111? so actually from the marriot shuttle boat across the river I'd still have to take a taxi to the sites? or could I take water taxis to the sites, such as grand palace?
Sep 16th, 2005, 07:02 AM

You can take the water taxi to sites along the river such as The Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha, Wat Po, Wat Arun, etc. Other sites are not along the river, such as the Jim Thompson house and the Jim Thompson main store and outlets, and you'd have to take a taxi after taking the Marriott shuttle (different from the water taxi) across the river. The Mariott shuttle takes you to a place where there is a skytrain stop and a water taxi stop.
Sep 16th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

awesome. thanks for the info!