Which antimalarial drug?

Search

Which antimalarial drug?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which antimalarial drug?

Decisions, decisions! There are so many to choose from. Does anyone have a preference or one that gave you problems?

Thanks!
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 05:23 PM

No one can decide which anti-malarial you should choose. There is no one best anti-malarial. Which one to take depends on your exact itinerary and your medical history.

Start by reading the malaria info at www.cdc.gov/travel

First, check to see if you are going somewhere that is malarial risk.

Next, is there malaria resistant to one or more anti-malarials where you are going?

Then, which anti-malarials are options in this area?

You'll want to consult with a travel medicine doc before you make your final decision.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:51 PM

I've taken Malarone twice...to Ghana,West Africa the past two years. Haven't taken Larium and refuse to. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Definitely Malarone. Stay away from Larium. Tends to cause very bad dreams and other psychological effects when you are taking it.

Only advantage of Larium is you take it once a week instead of daily like Malarone.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Talk to your doctor and check the cdc webstie. My advice, however, would be to avoid larium as it can have enormously dangerous side effects.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 01:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I take Malarone and my husband takes Larium, neither of us have had any ill effects. I won't take Larium because in some people, it can cause psychosis. My husband says I'm psychotic enough without any added help. As others have said, talk to your doctor.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Don't just talk to any doctor make sure it is a doctor familiar with travel/tropical medicine. Before you go do as others have suggested and go to the cdc website so you have questions for the doctor when you go.
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 05:35 PM

I've taken doxicycline (spelling?). When I was given the list of drugs and the side effects of each, I felt that doxy had the least undesirable side effects. It's up to you what those are of course. The catch is that I had to take a pill everyday 2 or 3 days before entering the malaria zone and then everyday for 4 weeks after leaving the zone.

If your insurance doesn't cover preventative medicine, I think doxy is the cheapest. Luckily, mine covered it. Hope this helps a little.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:25 AM
sandi

... but doxy is only an antibiotic, not specific for malaria. Side-effects should be considered with this also - sun sensitivity and women often have discharge problems.

I've taken both Lariam and Malarone - I'd opt for Malarone any day. Though had little, if any, side-effect with Lariam, it has more likely side-effects, even the US Govt has finally stopped insisting on this for the military.

Read the CDC info and then discuss with your physician, preferrably with tropical disease background, and with your own medical history - make the decision.

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:31 AM

doxcy is used as an anti malarial drug and for certain countries is actually the recommended drug. Again, check cdc and then talk to your doctor. I take doxcy because the side effects were the ones he considered to be least risk for me. But everyone is different.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:43 AM

my travel doc gave me malarone does this mean im a phycotifc nut too begiin with, and cant handle lariujm.
hmm I have verry bad dream every sinlge night. so tell me what the cheapest option .
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Doxycycline is an effective anti-malarial. It is one of only two anti-malarials (the other is malarone) for which there is no malaria that has resistance to this medication. There are areas of SE Asia where the malaria is lairum-resistant, and the malaria in much of Asia is resistant to chlorquinine.

Doxy, while it can make some people sun-sensitive and can cause vaginal yeast infections in some women, is both cheap and effective.

Again, no one can decide on an anti-malarial for you. Do your research on the cdc website, then talk with a travel medicine or tropical medicine doctor.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your good advice. My doctor has suggested doxycycline but I am somewhat reluctant because of the possibility of getting a yeast infection. Some antibiotics do that to me. I may suggest Malarone. We are going to SE Asia...Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand later this year. Again, thanks.