"Low-Risk" Malaria Areas - Kwazulu Natal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Kwazulu Natal at the height of summer - DECEMBER 2006.

We are considering doing a safari at either Mkuze Falls or Amakohosi. We would like to avoid taking anti-malarials, and both of these lodges are in "Low-risk" malaria areas.

I've heard differing reports on whether we would need to take medication. Certainly, we will have to use insect repellent, etc, but it is unclear whether we will need to take the anti-malaria tablets.

Can anybody advise? Also - any thoughts between Amaakhosi and Mzuke Falls (chalet)?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:00 AM

I have been to Kruger many times and have never taken any pills.
Apparently some types of maleria are resistant to the medication and if you do catch a particular strain of the virus it may become masked by the medication and the symptoms may only diagnosed at a late stage.
Thats what i was told anyway. Maybe someone else has a different take on the matter.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
santharamhari

I have never taken anti-malaria medication for any of my 7 Africa trips. .

Hari

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM
sandi

While I'm tempted to forego my malaria meds if traveling during the African winter and staying at lodging at high altitude, I wouldn't even consider doing so during summer when it's hot and humid.

December is summer in Southern Africa and there can be some beautiful thunderstorms.

If anyone would like to recall what happened to Kavey's dad who somehow forgot his malaria meds - malaria is not very pleasant. The thread is on here somewhere.

Unless they can assure you're visiting a malaria free area, I'd take some malaria preventative.

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Jonniew:
First I should explain that I am a physician and while I normally refrain from giving medical advice on the internet, I feel somewhat obligated to steer you in the right direction. In the past there was another physician giving really excellant advice on African Sleeping Sickness and the TseTse fly (Kibo??.....) but he seems to be absent recently. In any event, you are going to an area with malaria risk. Do take either Larium or Malarone as a preventative. Both will work just fine. The Malaria parasite in this part of Africa is resistant to Chloroqine so make certain that your doctor knows you are going to Southern Africa. Most people have better results (side effects) with Malarone, however it is a bit more expensive. As far as skipping the medication andy relying on insect repellant all I can say is DONT. Malaria is not something you want to fool around with. Go to the U.S. CDC website and review their comments on Kwazulu Natal. I beleive you will find that they idntify it as "risk" region. Those that travel to Africa without the proper antimalarial meds are just being foolish. The fact that they have not come down with malaria is just plain luck. I always used to ask my guide if they had or have malaria. Every one of them has answered that they have had it in the past or they are taking medication currently. As has been stated by another doctor on this forum, it is better to get your medical advice from people who are trained to give it. Nuf said.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I agree with Sandi. I, too, would be tempted to skip the meds if I were going in winter, but I would never skip them when it is hot with the threat of summer showers as it will be for my upcoming November safari to Botswana and South Africa.

Perhaps for May, June, July and possible August, I would feel safer not taking the meds, but certainly not in September - April. I have experienced an early March safari to Southern Africa and there were bugs everywhere, mosquitos included.

For December in Kwazulu Natal, I would certainly recommend taking the anti-malarials.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:27 PM

hi i would like to scare you further in hopes you will take malarial meds.

i spent the summer in a highly malarial area, uganda. kampala has a cool climate and yet every week someone with whom i worked or where i was staying was out sick with malaria.

two young people also working there and also taking malarone each came down with malaria. when i mentioned this to local doctors they said yes, malarone is known to lessen the severity of malaria, but not prevent it.

(the cdc completely disputes this)!

my point is: take your meds because what's a little pill compared to the possibility of several days writhing in pain with malaria? these young people (20's) were completely debilitated!

bring repellent IN ADDITION, because not getting bitten is a key to avoiding malaria.

and listen to medical professionals!

kerikeri
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:46 PM

I wouldn't risk not taking anti-malarials in the summer months. There are places in South Africa you can go on safari that are malaria free - the Eastern Cape has some brilliant game reserves and Madikwe in the North-West province. Both are 'Big Five' so you won't compromise your game viewing either! Go2Africa (a South African tour operator) has some useful pages about malaria free safaris: www.go2africa.com/malaria-free-safaris/