Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Malaria medicine....is it really necessary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am traveling to Nairobi and Tsavo East next April. I am reading the pros and so many cons of taking anti-malaria medication.

I know all the things to remember to do...don't wear black...cover up...use the netting....use insect spray...but I would really like to hear from more people who have traveled here.

Thank you
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Yes! The risks of the prophylactics are outweighed by the risks of malaria. Over 781,000 people die from it each year. Cerebral malaria is especially deadly.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM

In many areas of Africa, malaria is seasonal. Check into it more and make a personal decision. You are going in the rainy season, so I would say you should take the precautions. But it's your choice.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM

www.malariahotspots.co.uk good info detailing malaria myths

always wise and medically indicated in risk areas for me.

all it takes is one little bite...
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM

A cautionary tale/link wonderful lady/book

used to help many travelers here sadly no longer with us

secondary to a poor choice in this area...

Kinga then published her book Led by Destiny and followed her heart's call to go to Africa. Eight months later she passed away after contracting cerebral malaria in Ghana.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kinga-...979637?sk=info

RIP Kinga know you are missed...
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Myth...

I'm going to a malarious destination

in the dry season

so I'll be fine

Fact...

Many countries do have wet and dry seasons, and in the wet season mosquito activity is increased. However mosquitoes may still be active in the dry season. It is important that you seek advice from a healthcare professional and follow the recommended precautions.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM

If you were only going to be in downtown URBAN Nairobi, you'd be OK without malaria pills, but since you're heading elsewhere you do need to take one of the three possible options. Each has its pros and cons, so talk to a professional about which would be best for your situation. (I'm a nurse working in a travel clinic, so I'm quite familiar with Kenya. The only other "safe areas" are high altitude locations, but you'll pass through risk areas to get to them.)
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Even in Nairobi, people contract Malaria.
In fact, it was in Nairobi that I was bitten... one of two mossie bites in the many years I've visited. Thankfully, it wasn't a carrier, but one never knows till they take ill.

All you need is one bite from a malaria carrying mossie.

While those who live in malaria zones don't take malaria meds (they're not recommended for long-term), most all have contracted the disease at least once. Living in such areas, people know what to be aware of when they take ill and immediately get themselves treated, but the malaria doesn't leave the body entirely.

Don't go by comments of those visitors who choose not to take the malaria meds... that's their choice, but can be a serious mistake. It's not a good idea for a visitor not to take the meds as once you return home and should you take ill, there's no guarantee your doctor will easily be able to determine what's wrong with you.

Take your meds after discussing with your medical professional.

You want to return from holiday with good memories, not a souvenir such as malaria!
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:30 AM

Yes - take the pills. People living in malaria areas don't take the meds as it is not good for them to take them over a long period of time. But you as a visitor, in my opinion, should take whatever precautions you have available to you.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:27 AM

People who live in an edemic area (where malaria occurs all the time) are bitten often enough that they develop a PARTIAL immunity; their bodies learn to recognize and fight off the organism. (But they can still get sick if infected by large amounts of the organism.)

You, however, don't have that partial immunity (locals lose it too when they move away) -- think of yourself as an imported delicacy that needs extra protection.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:54 AM

I tried to give blood yesterday. Because I had been in a malarial area in the past year I was unable to donate. Just one of the rules of donation, whether you take meds or not. Just thought I'd pass that on. I obviously was unaware of that rule.

When one goes to areas outside of Africa that have malaria, are you all so insistent on taking anti-malarial meds? Most people don't even know of the risk on most other continents. Here's the list so you know:

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers...y_table/a.html
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM

christabir -

To answer, absolutely YES. When in Southeast Asia we sure did take our malaria meds and followed the same rules for covering up dust-to-dawn and repellent on exposed skin.

Unfortunately, unlike SEAsia is always hot/humid and being covered those mossie biting hours isn't all that pleasant... still it's my health and one makes due even if everything is sticking to the body.

Though haven't been to those South American countries that also require malaria meds, friends who have... do likewise, you take the meds and follow the rules for attire and repellent.

It's not only for when "in Afree-kah!"

For travel anywhere it's the responsibility of the traveler to ascertain lots of details on their own, whether Visas, inoculations, meds, clothing, weather, etc. Can't always depend on the tour operator. It's your holiday, thus you've gotta do your part to assure having a great time.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 07:12 AM

In SE Asia the risk of Dengue Fever is even higher than the risk of Malaria. There are no shots or pills to prevent Dengue, so it makes all those other measures (repellants, long sleeves, AC/screens/bednets) even more important. In Africa some countries have Dengue as well, but the risk of malaria is higher.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM

<<<To answer, absolutely YES. When in Southeast Asia we sure did take our malaria meds and followed the same rules for covering up dust-to-dawn and repellent on exposed skin>>>

We thought about not taking malaria meds for our trip to Siem Reap this past spring, but in the end, we did take them (malarone), because we weren't sure whether we'd be venturing farther out where malaria is still an issue. We also wore slacks and socks in the evening, as well as mosquito repellent.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:04 PM

... and the Dengue mossies bite during daytime hours. So repellent is a must. Dengue is even present in the States.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM

YES, YES, YES, I will back up everyone that says YES! One of my tax clients just got out of a few days hospital stay after contracting malaria in Ghana. He said IT WAS NOT FUN! The doctors were quite worried about him actually as he contracted the bad kind, falcaparum.

He was only two days in Ghana when he got sick. It cut his trip really short for sure.