Thailand vs. Bora Bora

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand vs. Bora Bora

I am going to take a honeymoon in June and I am looking into both of these places? How do the beaches compare? I know there is more to do in Thailand but I am concerned about that in June is the rainy season (even though it gets more rain in July-Sept). Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:34 AM

There was a recent post on Tahiti vs. Thailand...several people gave helpful comments. Take a look at that post.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 01:44 PM

Remember that when it's rainy on one side the peninsula, it's sunny on the other side. So there are always beaches in Thailand where the weather is good.

Bora Bora is really lovely, but it's true that there just isn't as much to do there as there is in Thailand.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM

Conversly, the beaches in Thailand are pretty, but nothing at all compared to those of polynesia. If you are looking for powdery white sand and turqouise water then you want polynesia, you won't find a lot of that in Thailand; a bit in off shore islands around Phuket and a bit around Samui, but for the most part the beaches are not nearly as gorgeous. Also, I am not aware of any over-the-water bungalow hotels in Thailand, in fact the only ones I know of in SE Asia are in Malaysia at the Pankor Laut hotel.

So, the answer to your question would depend on what you want to see and do (or not do) on this honeymoon. Just beaches (totally gorgeous) and water activities, or a mix of beaches and cities with some culture and shopping thrown in.

June is the rainy season in Thailand, but if you go to the eastern/Gulf of Thailand side around Koh Samui (or the east coast of Malaysia which is very pretty as well) you can avoid the rain which Phuket encounters. Bangkok will be hot and humid, but really it is hard to avoid that most months out of the year.

FYI, if you choose polynesia, I would go to Moorea, the most gorgeous of them all, IMHO.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:53 PM

If beaches are what you want then I would say that I haven't seen the beaches in Thailand but I have seen the rivers that empty into it and I can't imagine them being better than any beach in Tahiti.

If you are going visit Tahiti, visit Raiatea(my favorite island) you won't regret it. Maybe you'll get to see the Tiare Apetahi flower...just heavenly....and there is tons to do in Tahiti, just can't ride an elephant

Aloha!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:19 PM

I've been to both places. I enjoy the beaches in Thailand better than in Fr Polynesia. The price difference between the two is HUGE. Tahiti and Fr P are VERY expensive!! You won't get the great bargains that Thailand has to offer.

Thailand is much more exciting... Bora Bora may be more beautiful to some, but to me it's not the paradise I was looking for when I went there!!

Carol
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:08 AM

If you are just going for beaches and diving and money is not an issue - Bora Bora is the place. Thailand offers much more variety. I went in June a few years ago and didn't experience any rain in Bangkok or on the islands off the eastern coast. I think it will be rainy on the west coast though (phuket, phi phi, ko lanta, krabi etc). I have heard though that even in the rainy season on that side, you tend to experience rain only in the late afternoon or late evening (not sure I'd risk it for a honeymoon?)
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM

Cicerone, you liked Moorea better than Bora Bora? Interesting. I thought that Bora Bora was the essence of tropical paradise. The beaches and the snorkling were wonderful. But there just isn't much else to do. It's the ultimate beach vacation, but if you want some thing in addition to the beach, go elsewhere.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:03 AM

We found a hotel in Moorea with houes on stilts over the water for a fraction of those in Bora Bora so that is one mega benefit if pennies are issues

I think it was the Beachcomber Park Royal - or something like that. That was some years ago so not sure it is still around or if the savings are still to be made