Thailand vs Tahiti

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand vs Tahiti

Hi Kathie, scfphoto and Kim Japan,

If we go to Thailand it would be for 4 weeks (8/23/06 - 9/21/06)

If we go to Tahiti it would be for 3 weeks (8/23/06 - 9/13).

Which ever one we choose, we would be making our own reservations hopefully..

I don't know if this is the rainny season or dry in either place.

How to get around? - Do the people like Americans? We just bought travel books for both places by "Lonely Planet" and have some reading to do.

Again, any info would help.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:22 PM

August and September is rainy season in Thailand, but that doesn't mean it rains all the time. There are some days of rain, but usually it's a late afternoon/evening shower rather than all day long downpours. We've been to Thailand twice in August and the rain was actually refreshing.

We always make our own reservations, so that shouldn't be a problem for you at all.

Do they like Americans? We've never really had it come up in our travels...no one asks us what nationality we are. We are sometimes asked where we are from, and we tell them we live in Japan, end of conversation. We have never encountered anything remotely even close to anti-American sentiment anywhere we've been, though. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Here's the best site I've found for weather data:
www.weatherbase.com

On one hand, it's not the best time to go to Thailand, weather-wise, but on the other hand, you'll generally find low hotel costs. If you want time on a beach, you'll need to chose a location in the Gulf of Thailand because of the weather patterns. Phuket and the surrounding areas will be very rainy.

How to get around? If you are going long distances (like Bangkok to Koh Samui or Bangkok to Chaing Mai) you'll want to fly. Thai Air has lots of flights and very good service. And for a few dollars more than coach, you can fly business class. For trips into teh countryside, you'll want to hire a car and driver - very easy, very inexpensive.

The Thais are known for being very warm abd welcoming to visitors. Hospitality is an important cultural value.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:24 PM

the experiences in thailand would be far greater in scope than in tahiti, based on area if for no other reason....thailand has beaches, hilly countryside, cities, varried culture, the best shopping in the world.....world class restaurants representing almost every food category....thailand is quite cheap...fabulous hotels are a bargain in comparison to similar hotels in other parts of the world...rain is a problem at the time of year you want to visit---more so in september i think, but this varries by area visited...some years it is better or worse than other years....it does not rain 24/7 however....

i cannot speak to tahiti
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:06 AM

I've been to Tahiti and Thailand both. Thailand wins, hands down! I think you would be bored to tears in Tahiti for three weeks (IMO) but in Thailand you have soooooo many options for things to do/see/experience, besides just beach and sun.

Carol
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I have to agree that unless you are a hard core diver you will run out of "things" to do in 3 weeks in Tahiti. Although there is a huge difference between high island and atoll experiences. But if you just want to get away from it all and lay around staring at incredible scenery and enjoying the coral reef lagoon experience its the place. It is very laid back almost comatose at times but that can be the appeal as well. It is very easy to get from island to island as well, very well run national airline.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:36 AM

We are going to Thailand this year because we want all the "things" to do. But I have never achieved a state of relaxation that I get in the atolls of FP. Like being at the end of the earth, as it is really.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM

I know what you mean, Bora Bora felt like truly the end of the earth to me.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM

A great web site for FP is tahitiexplorer.com will explain all the different islands and has a great forum to ask questions and get others opinions. have a great trip no matter where you go.