Honeymoon Help!

Aug 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Help!

hey everyone!

I really want to go to Thailand for my honeymoon next year. I want to go to a few islands and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of where to go, what to see and where to stay?

I only have about two weeks - is this even long enough? Its all the time i have off of work.

If anyone has any pictures I would love to see them as well!

Thanks for all the help!
-jess
Aug 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Jess-two weeks is perfect for a first visit to Thailand. Two weeks from the US is 12 days on the ground in Thailand. You can easily visit Bangkok, Northern Thailand and a beach location in that time. Internal flights are easy and smooth.

The beach you go to depends on what time of year you gop. The rainy season swithces from the west (Phuket, Krabi, Khao Lak) in October to the east (Ko Samui).

You will have a great honeymoon in Thailand. It's a wonderful place.

The first step is to book your flights to Thailand. Then, you plan the internal portion, book those flights and the hotels. If you proivide a per night budget, we will be glad to recommend some superb hotels in every range.

Aug 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I am actually not interested in going to northern thailand on this trip. I want to be in Bangkok for a day and the rest of the time i want to travel in between the different beaches, from island to island. My main question is which islands to go to, for how long, where to stay while there and what to make sure to see! iI would love any and all info that you have that could help. As for per night prices no more than 100 a night at this point.

Thanks!
Aug 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM

If all you want is a beach, I'd advise against going to Thailand. There are many gorgeous beaches closer to you. The flight to Thailand is long (and expensive) and well worth it if you want to experience the unique Thai culture. The beaches in Thailand are nice, but they are international resorts, so will give you very little flavor of Thailand.

While I love Thailand and have traveled there many times, I'm not sure it's the best option for your honeymoon.
Aug 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Hi Jess - where are you coming from? Also, what time of year? That makes a difference as to which islands/beaches are likely to have good weather. I'd also really recommend a longer stay in Bangkok - some wonderful hotels there. There are some fantastic resort hotels in the south - but they can cost a pretty penny! When you say a 100 - do you mean US dollars?
BB
Aug 8th, 2008, 05:40 PM

i agree with kathie...i have yet to see a thai beach that compares to what i am used to here in new england, especially places like nantucket....

but if you insist on thailand i have a few suggestions, but the problem is your price range...under $100 is tough in 2008+....

again what time of year? if it is between may 1 and oct 31 then we might find something nice, but otherwise i think under $100 i would not be able to suggest places at the beaches---they are way more expensive than bkk.....but if jamesA has suggestions, his ideas are always very good

also take a look at:

www.huahin.20m.com
scroll down to the different locations
Aug 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM

As you are specifically asking about island hopping, this may give you some ideas.
Tao to Phangan to Samui is the old favourite - for years these have been joined by several ferry operations which tend to run all year except in periods of very bad weather.
Coming from Bangkok, the logical mainland departure is Chumpon with day and night ferries - from the south or the Andaman, Surathani (also day and night ferries) is usually best. Both places have bus and train connections to Bangkok. You can also fly into Surathani.

In the Andaman a logical high season circuit is Phuket-Phi Phi-Lanta-Jum-Krabi town (or to nearby Railay/Ton Sai/Ao Nang) by fast ferry. At present wet season cuts Lanta and Jum out of the circuit, but that will be changing very soon.

Lanta has been linked to the Trang islands of Ngai, Muk and Kradan for years in high season by the Trang Island daytrip ferries out of Ban Sala Dan, and by longtails from the Lanta town pier.

It is also possible to hop between all the Trang islands including Lipe by longtail.

But the BIG DADDY of island hopping is now possible - the new high season Tigerline Travel ferry service out of Lanta to Lipe and then Langkawi in Malaysia means you can now island hop all the way from Phuket or Krabi/Railay to north-west Malaysia. Actually there is another fast ferry joining Langkawi with Penang.
You can also join the Tigerline service at the Ban Chao Mai pier on the Trang coast.
There is also a speedboat service operated by SPB from Lanta to Lipe which will drop in at other islands.

Most Thai islands arenít exactly dripping with history, temples, artistic stuff, old architecture etc., but Phuket has the most. There are also some temples and stuff around Krabi.
However, you can see the normal everyday fishing/farming culture of Thai islands little affected by tourism, which is what really attracts me. Some of the best would be Ko Yao Noi, Ko Sukorn, Ko Siboya, Ko Kut and Ko Libong. Jum, Phayam and little Chang are also very good,so long as you get away from the tourist strips.

You can't compare Thai beaches with those of New England. They both have their own beauty, but are completely different animals. We have visited many beach locations in a fair few parts of the world, but are always drawn back to the beaches and islands of Thailand. For us, they are very special and quite unique.

I think your $100 per night is easily achievable although it won't allow for deluxe resorts, which you don't appear to be looking for anyway.
Aug 10th, 2008, 02:02 AM

Jess hasn't said she is coming from the US and whether '100' refers to $ or £ or another currency! Maybe she is coming from old Blighty where the beaches are v cold and wet...at least this weekend anyway! I would far rather be in Thailand than Brighton at the moment...
Aug 10th, 2008, 02:14 AM

Pretty miserable in Southend too!
And of course, if the 100 refers to £, then she has even more options.
Aug 10th, 2008, 02:43 AM

Hi

My wife and I have been to Thailand a couple of times on vacation. Here is a trip report from last year when we went to Bangkok and Samui http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm . I hope that it can give you an idea of what to expect.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Aug 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Our first trip to Thailand was for a our honeymoon, we were there around Thanksgiving. We stayed in BKK most of the time, but did go down to Koh Chang for a few days. Its a nice little island for a honeymoon, not much happening, but a very romantic atmosphere. Let me know if you would like to see the pictures we took.

Jeffrey
Aug 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM

do you know if there is any tatoo places on chang??
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great responses. I was thinking 100$ US dollars a night.

For those who didnt recommend traveling all the way to thailand from Connecticut, USA, where would you suggest I go?

I have already done 6 Caribbean Islands, beaches in spain, and australia. (I wouldnt want to go somewhere I have already been)
Aug 11th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Jeffery, I would love to see pictures!
Aug 11th, 2008, 06:51 AM

For somewhere closer to home, I'd suggest Mexico, central America, or Peru. Hawaii is another good option. You'd probably get the most for your money in Mexico.
Aug 11th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Jess,

Do you know which time of the year you'll be travelling? Since Thailand has different rainy seasons on eastern vs western coasts, that also determine your itinerary.
Aug 11th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Its pretty flexible but i would say somewhere between June-Sept if weather is alright during that time.
Aug 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Do go to Thailand. Just visit bangkok and a beach. In BKK, you can stay in luxurious hotels and wander out for wonderful adventures. June would be better than September.
Aug 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Bob, I didn't see one, but now I have a great idea. When we get old and move to
Thailand I can be a missionary/tattoo shop owner!

By the way, my guy Blake has your Thai theme backpiece ready to go. It has the Marriott as the background,and in the front is a picture of Tong, a long tail boat, emerald buddah, tuk tuk, and Andy in a speedo! Let me know when you are ready and he can get you inked up!

Jess, you can email us at [email protected] and we will send you our pics.

Jeffrey
Aug 11th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Hi Jess, loads of photos here

http://leightravel.smugmug.com/

Not edited as you will see, and just snaps really, but might give you some idea of what to expect.

Also, if you dig around here

http://www.leightravelclub.com/thailand.htm

you will find videos and other info that you may find useful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO