Favorite Southern Thailand Locations

Mar 25th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Favorite Southern Thailand Locations

So, what are they and what did you enjoy most about them. Any repeat visits? I confess to having never been - always went to Bangkok and CM.

Live in Hawaii, and I am not a plop down and lay on the beach person, but still think some of the coast/ island venues might be interesting.

So, where would you spend 4-5 days after a visit to Angkor Wat? Time frame is Mid-Apr to mid-May. Likes: photo ops, culture, a few beers at night, but nothing too wild or raunchy, nature walks, a good massage and local food..... .
Mar 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Bangkok or northern thailand or Luang Prabang. But then everyone here knows that I went to southern thailand once and will never return.
Mar 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM

koh samui is a nice place....a bit laid back but still some action

khao lak
krabi
hua hin
Mar 25th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Railey Beach, beautiful scenery, rock cliimbing. Very chilled out at night after the longtails (boats) leave with all the day trippers. Only accessable by boat. You fly into Krabi.
Mar 25th, 2008, 11:07 AM

I suggest you go to Luang Prabang in Laos. It's a charming place that can give you a nice relaxed vacation. The Thai beaches are very tourist oriented.
Mar 25th, 2008, 11:13 AM

If I lived in Hawaii, I's choose settings other than beaches in which to relax in Thailand. In my experience, the beach towns don't have much to offer in terms of culture.

A coastal town that is really interesting is the Georgetown portion of Penang, Malaysia. A long history of a mix of cultures (Malay, Indian, Chinese, British)interesting architecture, fabulous hawker food. You may have seen my report from November 2006.
Mar 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM

Why not stay in Cambodia? I really liked my stay in Kep, although with Bokor closed it might get boring if you were there for 4 - 5 days.

In Thailand, I rather like Songkhla as a beach town with none of the tourist trappings. It is on the state dept's list of places to avoid, but I suspect it's really quite safe.
Mar 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Southern Thai is somewhat dicey at the moment due to occasional separatist disturbance. Most visitors are still keeping to BKK and Changmai region, which is a shame considering the best islands like Koh Samui, Phi Phi, Lanta ... etc are located in south. The beaches and rural temples in Narathiwat and Songkhla are absolutely fabulous. Well, let's wait for things to settle down first. Perhaps next time.
Mar 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM

tons of people go to the islands and beaches....its only the deep deep south where people should not go....near the malay border
Mar 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

Let me give you a little late-breaking info.

I will be in Malysia (KL) for a week and then have eight days of vacation before having to leave from BKK back to HNL. And, the LW may be able to join me on the entire trip.

The possible combinations are interesting, but frustrating with so many good choices:

KL - Penang - Angok Wat

KL - Angkor Wat - BKK

KL - Krabi - Angkor Wat

KL - Koh Samui - Angkor Wat

KL - Angkor Wat - Phnom Penh

KL - Angkor Wat - Luang Prabang

I should note that we stop off in BKK for a day or two several times a year enroute to other locations.

Do the flights into Luang Prabang from BKK or Angkor Wat seem expensive to you?

Mar 26th, 2008, 12:53 AM

The LP flights you're looking at are probably Bangkok Air, which tends to be a bit pricey on routes they have effective exclusivity over.

I'd go for the Penang or Phnom Penh options.
Mar 26th, 2008, 01:33 AM

I will be in Samui myself, somewhere around the last week of April. Phuket is also a nice option, which I have enjoyed a number of times.
Carol
Mar 26th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Also I would opt for the Penang and Phnom Penh places. I found Penang very interesting as there is much British History there. If you were going for the beaches which you are not, then I would not suggest Penang.
A British graveyard there where my friend made many memorable photos.
Alot of good street food.
Phnom Penh is interesting due to its history. Interesting to go out in the country there.
Either of these places you will find good photo ops.