Thailand Hotels

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand Hotels

Hello,

I am taking my honeymoon in december to thailand.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding hotels in Phuket? i have reservations at the amanpuri but I have been reading quite a few negative comments. Plus, is the amanpuri close to whatever city life is available in phuket? We made reservations at the amanpuri rather than the four seasons in koh samui because we heard phuket would have more options as far as going out to dinner and a night life. Would someone consider the four seasons a better choice? We want to visit only one beach town. The rest of the time we will be spending in bangkok and chang mai.

thank you.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 05:31 AM

off topic, but i hope you will consider the peninsula in bkk...

most all the hotels on phuket that are really nice will involve some travel to get to town....its not a problem however....

if you describe better exactly the kind of place you are looking for fodorites can better advise you, i.e. cost, amenities, style of hotel, spa, etc...
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 05:41 AM

It's true that people either love or hate the Amanpuri. Take a look at some other sorts of properties in the Phuket area... Mom Tri's Boathouse, the Rayvadee, etc. I'd suggest you browse a good hotel website and see what catches your eye. I usually use www.sawasdee.com to book hotels in Thailand.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

We already have reservations at the peninsula, but thank you for the suggestion.

As far as hotels in a beach area, it is our honeymoon so we are willing to spend amanpuri prices which i believe was around 700 a night.

We are looking for nice beaches, secluded but still have something to do outside of the resort, great service and great rooms, ideally with a view. Ive seen hotels which are in more traditional thai style, that doesnt bother me, although i prefer modern hotels. Spas are not as important, a simple thai massage would be enough for us.

Ive been told koh phi phi and krabi are also good choices, not sure if that would be a better choice than phuket considering what we want.

My main concern is that koh samui is too laid back, and too secluded. However, we will be staying in a beach resort for only three night, the rest of the trip will be in bangkok (3 nights) chang mai (4 nights) and tokyo (two nights). I would be willing to sacrifice a night life for a great beach and clear waters. I am from Miami so I really enjoy having a nice pretty beach.

by the way, anyone know how cold the water in thailand is generally? We are used to 80f and above, anything lower may be too chilly.

hope this is more detailed and can help gather suggestions!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Hello,
negative comments about the Amanpuri, wow! I never stayed there, because its out of my budget. But it used to be the most expensive hotel in Thailand. And among their guests were movie stars and famous models etc. The hotel is quite secluded but not so far of Phuket town. 15 minutes or so by car.
There is a lot of night life at Patong beach (Phuket town itself is quieter during evening and night), but there are also good spots at Chaweng and Lamai on Koh Samui.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:32 AM

There was a recent review here of Mom Triís Villa Royale. It sounded to me like THE place to stay in Phuket. It's located overlooking Kata and Kata Noi beaches. Do a search for it (it's part of a long trip report on India and Bhutan as well).
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 09:09 AM

in krabi look at the sheraton...

you might also consider khao lak....there is a meridien there but a more special hotel called sarjoun or some similar name....over the top...
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM

The Amanpuri I would say is the kind of place you stay if the amount on a bill is of no interest at all.
I could never afford it, many couldn't, it is 'very(!!)' expensive indeed. So if the pirce is of no importance might suit you but it is very expensive. The Surin area is nice and there are 'some' restaurants around but it is a hilly and snot so good road to/from Patong if you want masses of restaurants and entertainment at night, coastla road is very up and down and quite a way.

Centara Villas at north end of Karon Beach are on their own with incredible views, pool villas with again the amazing views, pathway down to the nice beach, I would guess a top level pool villas would costs a thrid or probably a quarter than a base place at Amanpuri. Very tropical ( centara operate Sofitels ) so you have sufficient but not over the top service. Only 5 minutes into Karon, 10 minutes into Patong.

Mom Tri's would be nice, if you can afford Amanpuri you can get top level suite, again, well below Amanpuri, plus easy enough for restaurants etc.

There are plenty of Phuket luxury hotels. Phuket Town has little of interest for visitors at night and by far the busiest is Patong. Diamond Cliff and Baan Yin Dee are among the top. Baan Yin Dee is hilltop location overlooking Patong so you are well away from the busy area, but it's hillyop so not on the beach, again, top level suite way less no doubt than the 'cheapest' at Amanpuri.

I think you need to tell us on the price level if it really is 'price no importancve', remember that you can find excellent luxury hotels on Phuket without having to pay incredible rates.

Khao Lak = Sarojin
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 01:59 AM

congrats. check out this website luckanawadee.com . i could not imagine a more romantic place for a honeymoon. it's located just 45 minutes north of phuket. the beaches of khao lak are very remote and the sunsets are amazing. phuket has better shopping and a wilder night life while khao lak has the tranquility and romanticism. phuket is surely a place to visit but khao lak is the place for honeymooners. i hope this will be helpful. best wishes.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM

Villa Royale is really very private and quiet. It overlooks Kata Noi beach, not right "on" the beach. You have to walk down a wooden stairway to get to the beach, but not hard to do at all.

Mom Tri's Boathouse is located ON Kata Beach. Not as quiet or deluxe, but still a nice option that is not your big glitzy hotel.

Le Meridien might be an option for you, although you have to take a taxi to get to nightlife. At Mom's Boathouse you just walk right out the door and it's "there"... just walk down the street. At Villa Royale, you would probably want to take their free shuttle do the Boathouse and then walk from there.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:41 AM

Kathie, Rayavadee is in Krabi, although is a beautiful hotel in the most stunning location so one definately to consider if not "set" on Phuket.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:17 AM

We stayed at Rayavadee and loved it. Railey is great at night, only the people staying there so it's very quiet. Great food at the small restaurants on the beach, the food at Rayavadee is so-so. We booked directly through starwood and got a great deal on a pool villa with daily massages, food and minibar included. The beaches there are gorgeous.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:41 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort (Patong) a couple weeks ago and loved it - it's not like a typical holiday inn in the US. The rooms in the Busakorn wing are nice, new, clean and modern, though the standard rooms were not "luxurious." They have these private pool villas which seem to be a lot nicer, with a private pool area right outside your back door. Unfortunately the Patong beach is not that great, but there are lots of restaurants, bars, shopping, massage places in easy walking distance.