Help picking Thailand Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going on our honeymoon to Thailand . After sightseeing around Bangkok and Chang Mai for a bunch of days, we are headed to the beaches the first week in January. I am guessing we will have between 5-6 days. Should we stick to one beach? Which island/beach would you recommend then? Any hotel suggestions?

What we're looking for:

- great athmospheric property, not rowdy or too crowded, but not totally isolated.
- moderate luxury - between $100-$150/night
- exotic feel (I have looked at some properties online and they look like standard hotel rooms, nothing that I would go to Thailand for!)
- spa facilities
- possibility for excursions (my husband couldn't just sit at a beach for 5 days)

As you can see - i need help!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:56 AM

Don't know if it is the right time to be there weather wise but the beach place I have liked best so far in Thailand is Krabi (not the town but the nearby places). You can take day trips from the town to Ko Phi Phi (never been) and there are activities like rock climbing if that attracts. Have just returned from a trip when I had only a couple of days for the beach and Ko Samet was the logical choice. Nice beaches and the sea was warm but wouldn't recommend - although maybe with your budget some of the more upmarket places on the beaches furthest away from the pier would be ok.

There is so much info on the web. Could be 'Ao Nang' in Krabi that you should check out.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:07 AM

you will find beach hotels to be generally more expensive than hotels in other parts of thailand including bkk....
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM

Something like the Dusit or Sheraton at the Lagoon in Phuket should suit. They are 2 of 5 hotels (all quite upmarket) yet casual and not too rowdy, yet with plenty to do nearby - plus you can use cross sign at all the hotel restaurants (i.e if you stay at the dusit you can dine at the sheraton and sign it back to the dusit)
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:38 AM

Krabi are or Phuket seem the obvious choice, take a look at the Katathani at Kata beach on Phuket. The Chedi also worth thinking about.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 10:46 PM

I,m an expat living in Phuket,January is the hight of the tourist season and if you havn't booked a hotel yet I would suggest you do so immediately,it's very busy that time of year,and the weather will be great.Try the Katathani as James suggested,also the Boathouse and the Kata Beach Resort,Kata is lovely,my favourite town and beach in Phuket.
If there is anything I can help you with,send me an email
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:02 AM
CFW

sydneyx, Great to have a poster who lives in Phuket. We will be staying at the Royal Meridien Yacht Club at Nai Harn Beach. A recent poster raved about the restaurant there. Can you make some recommendations for other restaurants as wells - particularly seafood? Also, shops to buy pearls?
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 01:30 PM

I recommend Rai Leh beach just outside of Krabi. Beautiful beach and you have your choice of resorts. I stayed at Sand Sea, at West Hat, in a nice private bungalow with modern amenities. Very nicely situated along a gardened walkway. Lots of great hikes around, too, plus excursions out to neighboring islands. I have a number of photos from this region (see below for url).

Regards, Bruce
Thailand Travel Photos -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_all.htm
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 10:46 AM

The restaurant at the boathouse hotel comes very recommended. About 20 mins drive from the Yacht club, it also has an excellent wine cellar
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:25 AM

Hi CFW. The Meridien Yacht Club is not a yacht club ,it's a very nice hotel on the rocks at Nai Harn overlooking the bay and the yachts anchored there.Their restaurant is excellent and also has an outside section on the rocks,very special.
If you take a walk over the cliff to Ao Saine,about 10 minutes and take the first footpath down to the beach you will find an amazing Thai Restaurant on the beach,it's just wooden benches and bambo covers but the food is great,and the atmosphere is wonderful,all the yachties in the bay get there in the early evening and have some great parties,the beach is nice and secluded and not many tourists know about it,so it's never crowded.
If you take the road to Promthep,go past the windmills and then at the bottom of the hill you will find another Thai style restaurant on the beach,wonderful for the sunsets and the food is great,also little known by tourists.
Another smart up market restaurant near your hotel is Mimme's about a 10 minute taxi ride,very good food.
If you need more,feel free to email me.