best Thailand beach location

Mar 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

best Thailand beach location

We are having trouble at the moment deciding on a beach location following a trip to visit friends in Laos. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (aged 9 and 12) and are looking to spend about a week somewhere in Thailand. We have been to Ao Nang twice in the past and used the long tails to visit the best beaches (ie Railey etc). We are looking for a beach location which is beautiful but do not want to be in an isolated resort as we prefer to eat out in the evenings rather than stick to hotel restaurants. A few shops to browse around would be nice but not necessarily to the extent of Ao Nang. Although initially we looked at some of the diving resorts such as Ko Tao we then discounted them after reading reports that the beaches were not that great and also we would not be diving. For Koh Chang we would need malaria med which we would prefer not to take as have had 3 lots in the last 18 months. Have thought about Hua Hin, Samui, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta and are just becoming more and more confused. So, in essence, we are looking for somewhere with beautiful beaches, a choice of restaurants and a few shops. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!
Mar 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM

When are you going? The weather will help narrow down the choices. The rainy season shifts.
Mar 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM

As long as you are not going in the middle of the monsoon season as the sea currents can get a little hairy, Kata beach in Phuket will give you everything that you want. I travel to Thailand regularly with our two children who are currently 7 and 10 and have found this to be the best allrounder.

Chaweng in Samui is also a great beach but it is getting very busy and other beaches on Samui are not as nice. Hua-Hin is a lovely area, but you will be dissapointed with the beach, compared to the tropical wonderland of Railay beach etc. Kata has tended to attract alot less tourists than Patong and Karon beaches, it's nearby neighbours, and it has very little appeal to the sex-tourist, so it is the ideal choice for families.

Also, if the kids start to get bored with the beach or the weather is not ideal you can take them into Patong during the day for snake shows or bowling,go-karts,arcade games etc, and there is plenty of entertainment options at night.

That is the appeal of Kata to me, it is a beautiful self contained, relatively quiet beach area with the option of a little bit of craziness 15 minutes away.

You also have access to some great day trips, particularly the sea-kayaking trips into Phang Na bay which you may or may not have already done whilst in AoNanag. It is an absolute must do, and the kids will love it.

If you let me know where you stayed in Ao Nang and what you liked and disliked about it, and an approx budget, I will recommend some hotels to you.
Mar 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM

I also like Phuket's Kata Beach (The Boathouse), as well as Kata Noi Beach (the Kata Thani Resort). Kata Noi Beach is a bit smaller than Kata, and quieter also ... although I think the beach at Kata Noi is a bit nicer. You have to take a taxi or other shuttle "up the hill" to Kata Beach, but there you will find food/shops/activities.
Mar 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM

Should have added that from Phuket, you could take a day or two and take a boat over to Phi Phi. I've only done the day trip over, so I have no opinion of any of the Phi Phi hotels.
Mar 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM

my vote is for hua hin....great for the kids and the beach is nice....all levels of hotels are available there also...plus it has the ease of getting there without and expensive flight...
Mar 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM

I agree Bob, the beach is "Nice" at Hua-Hin, but the poster is after a "beautiful" beach,which I assume includes swaying palm trees and nice clear water. This is what Hua-Hin lacks. The sand is fine but the water is barely swimmable and the view out to sea is far more appealing at Kata Beach with lovely rocky headlands and a quaint little Island off-shore. It beats the view of high-rise condo's and container ships making their way to Bangkok.
I like Hua-Hin, but I certainly wouldn't vote for it based on what the OP has asked for.
Mar 1st, 2009, 09:57 PM

I've been visiting Hua Hin since I was a young kid and I have never seen any container ships sailing to or from Bangkok. The commercial sea lane is over 100 KM east of the shoreline so perhaps you're long-sighted Shanek?
Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM

I just reviewed my photo's from our 2004 trip to Hua hin, and I can clearly see container ship's, oil tankers and naval vessels in the background as we had dinner on one of the restaraunts on the pier and in photo's from the temple . I am not as familiar with the shipping channels as you are Hanuman, but I know what I saw.
How do you think the beach would compare to Kata beach Hanuman? Particularly to someone who wants something similar to what they experienced at Railay. Why dont you offer advice to the OP in this post instead of trying to attack my eyesight,or even worse,my integrity.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM

navy ships sure.....they are there protecting the king who lives in HH...

i found the water perfectly clear...the sand is nice too, the further you get away from the hilton area....

you are correct that there is nothing to look at like islands or formations....but i was trying to avoid expensive flights...
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM

Container ship's and oil tankers are my experience of Hua Hin too. Probably the most unappealing of all Thai beach experiences, certainly, that I have visited. Dirty water, dirty beaches and absolutely nothing beautiful.
loveasia, from your original post, I say avoid Hua Hin at all costs.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM

The beaches in Hua Hin are not as good as krabi and many other places and the secenary is not as nice.
But it attracts a huge number of visitors as it offers more than just beach with the 2 nearby national parks, jungle treks, there are though deserted pure empty beaches south of town, large number of temples and monuments plus the golf courses etc.
The plus luxury beach resorts also appeal to many.

I am not going to get into the container ship debate but I cannot recall ever seeing any, maybe it was just some time, but I cannot recall ever seeing any.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM

Shanek,

Can you upload your picture somewhere so that I could see? What you saw were probably part of the naval presence around Hua Hin and it could not have been commercial container ships or commercial oil tankers traffic on it's way to and from Bangkok and Singapore or other major ports. Perhaps they were feeder ships for the anchored naval vessels or coastal commercial vessels going to and from Hua Hin but not oceanic seagoing traffic. The largest ship I ever saw within 10 kilometers of the beaches were the coastal naval ships and with my eyesight from shore was an anchored cruise ship, I think it was the "Residensea", about 30 kilometers.

Also I never compared Hua Hin's beaches to those of Kata or anywhere else in Thailand in my post only what you wrote about container ships.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM

i have seen them they are the fishing boats...

leigh---never return to hua hin!!! its discusting....
plus you might meet up with thai trash like hanuman there
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM

They may be naval "container" ships and tankers but they are certainly not the fishing boats, there are plenty of these around as well and I can certainly tell the difference Bob.

Hanuman, my point is, do you think that Hua-hin is the right place to recommend to this poster?
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM

Shanek,

I only made a comment about your sightings of containers ships heading to Bangkok and I believe most of the other posters here can give a better reccomendation for loveasia.

Bob,

As you know I'm a deckhand on a 100,000 ton mega oil tanker that regularly docks in Hua Hin - just by the main pier where they have those fancy restaurants. I consider my social status as just barely above the Thai trash level but what make you think that I want to meet with Leigh?
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM

brb..getting popcorn
Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM

pook---i'm sure she is a lovely woman, but she thinks the only wonderful place in thailand and in the whole world is phi phi, which i am sure is wonderful, but not that wonderful...
i bet when you were younger that you were a 'man of the night', not to be confused with lady-boy....
Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:42 PM

Leigh is a she, a real she(from birth) like Vivien Leigh?
Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM

Hanuman,

You cant give an opinion about the beach in Hua-Hin compared to other beaches? I thought you were an authority on everything. Is it so difficult to disagree with Bob? Maybe the two of you should get together rather than Leigh.

I thought that Leigh was a male. Or it might just be my eyesight playing tricks on me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO