Pattaya or Koh Sumui????????

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Donna

Pattaya or Koh Sumui????????

Hi there,
have been to Bangkok and Phuket before and am looking to go back to Bangkok and perhaps Pattaya or Koh Sumui or both.
I will be travelling with my Stepmother and Grandmother. We enjoy shopping, dining out, touring and going to the beach. We went to Bangkok and Phuket last July for 2 weeks and loved it. We had a ball. Are looking to do a similar trip in June. What are your recommendations for accommodations and tours, shops, markets, restaurants etc.Also how is the safety factor at the moment?
Please reply
Donna

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Alex

I haven't been to either place, but in my research prior to my Thailand trip, I didn't read or hear one nice thing about Pattaya. From what I understand, the beach is polluted due to the sewage treatment plant. I've also heard that Pattaya makes Patong on Phuket look like a convent.

I have heard many nice things about Koh Samui from friends who went two years ago. They went for the budge route, but I understand that hotels of all classes are now available.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Nancy

I have to agree with the thread above about Pattaya, I think you will find it a bit seedy. Hua Hin, just down the coast a bit, might be a better choice. It is a bit more upscale. There is a world-class hotel/spa there, Chiva Som, if the gals want to treat themselves to a great few days. Koh Samui would be much quieter, as it is not as developed, but I think the beaches are actually more beautiful. Run a search on this site for Hua Hin and Koh Samui and you will get lots of recommendations for hotels and activities.

As for safety, if you read the US State Department warnings, you may never travel again! Thailand is on there, but mostly with regard to the Phuket area and southwest Thailand where there has always been some Muslim issues. You went to Phuket without incident, and would assume that Hua Hin and Koh Samui would not pose any greater risks.

If you are going in June and want to try something other than Thailand, you might enjoy the east coast of Malaysia. You could fly into Singapore and rent a car to go up the coast. June is the time when the giant sea turtles come up to lay their eggs along the coast, truly a remarkable and rare sight. I along with others have recently responded to questions on this site about the east coast of Malaysia, run a search for "Malaysia". If you can't find anything, write back on this thread, and I will see if I saved any of my responses.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Monica

Pattaya can be a bit raunchy but there are plenty of fine resort hotels, cheap shopping and loads of restaurants. Ruen Thai and PIC Kithcen are great Thai restaurants, both with Thai classic dance shows every night. There is Mini Sima which is Thailand in minature. Alcazar and Tiffanys are amazing Vegas style show theatres. Nong Nook park is well worth it. You can fly from Pattaya to Koh Samui in about 50 minutes, daily flights.
Koh Samui although quite pleasant lacks the tours, excursions and other sightseeing that Phuket has to offer.
I take those warnings with a pinch of salt as nothing came of any of those warnings.
We spent 3 days in Hua Hin which is fine if you enjoy sheer boredom and expensive hotels. If you want to do 'nothing' you can do that at your resort or hotel in Pattaya, Koh Samui or Phuket. Personally I would never suggest Hua Hin, the beach is grubby and there is little to see or pass the time.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Monica

Pattaya can be a bit raunchy but there are plenty of fine resort hotels, cheap shopping and loads of restaurants. Ruen Thai and PIC Kithcen are great Thai restaurants, both with Thai classic dance shows every night. There is Mini Sima which is Thailand in minature. Alcazar and Tiffanys are amazing Vegas style show theatres. Nong Nook park is well worth it. You can fly from Pattaya to Koh Samui in about 50 minutes, daily flights.
Koh Samui although quite pleasant lacks the tours, excursions and other sightseeing that Phuket has to offer.
I take those warnings with a pinch of salt as nothing came of any of those warnings.
We spent 3 days in Hua Hin which is fine if you enjoy sheer boredom and expensive hotels. If you want to do 'nothing' you can do that at your resort or hotel in Pattaya, Koh Samui or Phuket. Personally I would never suggest Hua Hin, the beach is grubby and there is little to see or pass the time.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Donna

Thanks for your help. Anyone else!!!!!!!!
Ps Have been to KL, Langkawi and Penang. Is there any problems with these places at the moment?
Donna

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Craigy

No problems anywhere in the region to my knowledge.