Reload this Page >

Xian to Lhasa or Chende?

Search

Xian to Lhasa or Chende?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Gigi

Xian to Lhasa or Chende?

We will be spending 7 days in Beijing, then onto Pingyao and Xian or Xian and then Pingyao. We are flexible. This leaves us 5 to 7 days depending on how long we stay in these two cities. I am wondering if there are flights easily available to Lhasa or Chende? We have narrowed our choices for the remaining days to these two. <BR><BR>Is it difficult to get a visa (as I recall we need a separate visa for Tibet, no?) for Tibet? My understanding is that one must have this prior to entry, that it is not possible to get one at arrival?<BR><BR>I have a website for some flights within China, but, it doesn't have Xian to Lhasa or Xian to Chende. <BR><BR>Many thanks!<BR>Gigi

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Peter N-H

There are flights from Xi'an to Lhasa, but you may find that no one there is geared up to make the arrangements for you to travel. Your visa does cover Tibet, but you need an additional permit, and for most of the time travel is only possible for groups. But these groups may be very small and made up of people who only meet as they board the flight, and travel quite independently once in Tibet. Chengde (note spelling, which may help you locate flights there) used to have the only air connection, and agents there are quite used to putting groups together in this way and sorting out the relevant paperwork. The whole business is a giant scam, but Xi'an, which see less through traffic to Tibet, may not be able to make the arrangements. In short then, unless you find differently at Xi'an, it's Chengde first, and then Lhasa.<BR><BR>There should be several flights a day between Xi'an and Chengde. You're better off buying your domestic tickets within China than attempting to buy them overseas, unless you plan to travel during a major Chinese holiday period--Spring Festival, first week of May, first week of October.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Nick

Hey Gigi. It's so cool that you're finally going to China. Didn't you go there at all when you were living in Malaysia?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Elizabeth

Don't you mean CHENGDU and not CHENGDE as the jumping-off point for Tibet?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Patty

I was wondering the same too? Isn't it Chengdu (CTU) that has the most flight connections to Lhasa? Go to www.cswa.com for flight schedules from Chengdu or Xian to Lhasa. Click on the little orange &quot;En&quot; button at the top right if you need the English language version.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Peter N-H

Elizabeth is quite right--my earlier message is complete nonsense. I was deep in the Chinese countryside at the time and must have been very tired. For Chengde (which does exist but obviously isn't what's meant here), read Chengdu. Apologies.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http:// members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html