Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways domestic business worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice that the fares for doemstic business with Thai are very reasonable cw the standard economy fare.

Is it worth the extra?

Malaysia for example have similar cheap price differences on domestic - for this you get extra luggage allowance, lounge access, champagne and better food on board, a separate cabin with wider seats and increased pitch - A bargain (IMO) -

Does Thai offer the same? I can't find mention of the domestic lounges for example
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:23 AM

We have flown Thai business class to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai - they were pretty short trips but as you said the added cost is negligible. There is a separate business class lounge in Bangkok but I don't remember being in one in either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. I believe you do get extra luggage allowance but the flights are so short that there wasn't much of a food and beverage service. The seats/pitch are similar to business class on US airlines.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:36 AM

I booked it this time because I'm connecting from an internation flight from the U.S. so will have been flying a long time and will have all my luggage. I thought the extra little bit would be well worth it to have acess to the lounge and the extra luggage allowance.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Usually fly TG business on Domestic routes (but I always fly from Europe to BKK in Business too , since usually you do have a better seat (depends on the aircraft though), priority bagage handeling, lounge access (there is one in BKK and HKT), and 30 kg of luggage instead 20 kg (which is important for me as I am a scubadiver).
No alcohol is served on board of TG domestic service though! At mealtimes you get a rather nice meal and there is coffee&cake service if you aren't flying during mealtimes.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:10 PM

For your records: since a couple of weeks MAS no longer servers alcohol either on domestic flights even in business.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

No alcohol on Malaysia domestic business? It's all my fault I'm afraid I was drinking too much of the veuve cliquot they used to serve
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Oh yes... if you are flying a sector where TG uses 747's (eg. BKK-HKT) you might choose that particular flight. They have 3 class seating (Economy/Buisiness/First) on this aircrafts (and probably on other Aircrafts like A333, A340, etc. too) but on Domestic services only Buisiness and Economy are sold. I was twice on 747 on Domestic Buisiness and on both of the occassion I was seated in 1st (flatbed)!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 12:34 PM

And a last reason I can think off: should you collect miles (TG is member of Star Alliance) flying Business on TG-Domestic is a cheap way to collect extra miles!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Just one more note: You do get lounge access, and there is definitely a lounge in Chiang Mai. The lounge is inside the general departure lounge, and is easy to miss.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:02 PM

If I am flying from Chiang Mai on business and connecting with/from an international flight in Bangkok I fly Business Class on all sectors. It is certainly more comfortable, but generally, imho, it is not worth the additional cost for a one hour flight. The exception being when I have flown in from Mumbai and am catching the 06:30 flight – then it is worth twice the price.

Michael is correct, there is a lounge in Chiang Mai but it is not accessible if you have cleared Immigration in Chiang Mai. Hopefully, that will change when they open the new International Terminal.

There is a somewhat scruffy lounge at the Bangkok Domestic Terminal, but if you are booked through to Chiang Mai, or another domestic destination, you can use the International lounge. You do, however, have to monitor your connection, as they do not make flight announcements for domestic flights and you have to leave time to pass through security and take a bus to your plane.