How to dress for dinner at China House?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are (were) planning to have THE Peking Duck at the Oriental while we are in BKK in a couple of weeks... but as I am reading your posts I am wondering if my husband must bring a jacket with us to have dinner at the China House. The duck sounds 'to die for', but we are REALLY light travelers and bringing a dinner jacket for one night is something I just don't think DH is willing to do, no matter how amazing the duck is!

Will someone please clear this issue up for me so I don't get my heart set on something that just won't happen...

OH - also, are cigars easily purchased in BKK? DH likes one on occasion and was hoping to be able to purchase a few in BKK instead of bringing them from home.

Thanks to all.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

After reading some other posts I am thinking that China House is not IN the Oriental?? Is it next door to the Oriental? Maybe this can be clarified too? Thanks!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 08:18 PM

the china house is a smaller white building just opposite the car entrance to the hotel main door...you can't miss it...

i do not think you would need a jacket there....nice sports shirt would be fine...and slacks...

i know of two cigar shops...others will chime in....maybe oriental has one but i don't remeber seeing one...

in the sheraton orchid there is one but the one most often mentioned is on the lower level of gaysorn plaza which is on plenochit near the junction of sukhumvit.....nice mall for a visit also....make sure to go up to 3rd floor for some nice, non-designer, shops

i also think i saw one in the four seasons...
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 02:04 AM

You definitely don't need a jacket for china house. A decent pair of pants and a shirt is fine (short sleeved is ok). There may be some people who are more dressed up but most will not be. I wouldn't wear jeans and a t-shirt but if you did they would not throw you out. It is a part of the Oriental but is in a small separate building at the end of the driveway leading to the hotel.There is a cigar store in the Oriental (only thing I have against the hotel).
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 04:48 AM

The best cigar store is in the basement of Gaysorn Plaza. The Oriental has a cigar store that you access by walking through the lobby and down a row of stores on your right. Most upscale hotels sell one or two types of cigars in the gift shop. He'll be able to find a cigar or two. I always smoke them at the pool in the afternoon.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Would dockers/chinos be okay for a man to wear? I have to ask because pants to me mean underwear

China House is on our list too - Gloria, would dinner be preferable to lunch or is it a good lunch venue also? I was thinking of going there on one of the days that we are going for dress fittings at Cotton House.

Thx
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM

dockers/chinos would be fine. (It's ok for him to wear pasnts as well, but not just pants - lol)

I had Peking Duck at lunch at the China House. I believe they have the same menu at lunch and dinner.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 08:35 AM

thanks kathie - that is really what i wanted to know, whether we could have peking duck at lunchtime, yum
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:45 AM

at lunch they have the regular menu and a dim sum menu -- the latter is only available at lunch. I didn't realise, however, that you could get the peking duck at lunch.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Is the dim sum recommended also?
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I love the dim sum and often eat it when I'm at the hotel and want a light lunch. I know there are other equally good places for dim sum that might be closer to where one is sightseeing but if one is in the area at lunch time it's a good choice. It's also deliciously cool and calm which sometimes is more important to me than the food after a morning of sightseeing in the heat and humidity.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the replies... it is a relief to know that I WILL be able to experience the Duck at China House after all.

DH is happy to know that he will be able to purchase a stogie to smoke by the pool.

Seven days and counting till lift off!! Woo Hoo!