Search

Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taiwan

Can anyone give me a suggestion on how many days to add for site seeing for my business meeting in Tai Pei?

I’m looking at the following sites in Tai Pei:

The National Palace Museum, Taipei 101, the LongShan Temple, the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial, the Lin Family Gardens, the Martyrs Shrine, Sun Yat-sen Memorial and Taiwan night markets.

How about Taroko Gorge?

How many days should I plan for Tai Pei and Taroko Gorge? Are there any other sites you recommend?

Thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM

You can do Taipei sightseeing in a couple of days. Sorry, I can't help you with Taroko Gorge.

I loved the National Museum and spent half a day there, but not everyone spends that much time. The night markets were not very interesting, IMO. I did visit the jade market. It was very small but had some interesting items.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM

You've hit the high points of Taipei sightseeing, although you could pass on the Sun Yat Sen Memorial, IMO. There are English tours at the National Palace Museum every day at 10:00 and 3:00. A very nice museum devoted to Taiwan's aboriginal peoples is nearly directly across the street; you can buy tickets for both at the NPM. There is a weekend jade market under one of the freeways that is fun. If you are there during cooler weather, Taipei's hot spring resorts are very famous.

Food in Taiwan is delicious, and you'll find great Japanese food there as well.

I think Taroko Gorge is best done with an overnight stay. Take the train down to Hualien from Taipei Main Station (about 2 hours). The Formosa Grand Regent will pick you up from the train station and take you into the park. The Gorge is beautiful and well worth a visit if you have the time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM

Sightseeing in Taipei is easily done using the subway to travel around. The sights you mention will take a day or a day and a half to see. Also, see the Grand Hotel, if interested, if you are not staying here.

Haven't been to Taroko Gorge, I know this can be done as a day tour from Taipei by air form the domestic airport which is closer to town than the international airport.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM

The subway in Taipei is cheap, clean, efficient and air conditioned, but you'll still end up taking taxis. Don't leave your hotel w/o a card written in Chinese for where you are going -- and of course, for getting back.