Search

Taiwan Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taiwan Trip

I have visited Bkk-China-Phil-Bali etc..
Would a trip to Taiwan be of interest
for me and for how long.
If so please tell me of your experiences.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 02:11 AM

I have only visited Taipei, on business for a couple of days, but I found it very interesting -- Taipei has the best museum in Asia (I haven't been to all of them, but I have been to many of them), and I found Snake Alley fascinating. The Lonely Planet to Taiwan is excellent, and offers a survey of the entire country.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I spent time in Taipei, no where else in the country. As thit cho says, the National Museum is has really stunning objects. I also went to the jade market, and shopped around a bit. I didn't find much shopping I was interested in, though I did make some purchases at the jade market. I also found that very few people spoke any English. I was much more reliant on sign language and written instructions from the concierge at my hotel than I am in most places in Asia.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Hi, bobbiepots!

I traveled to Taipei last year, and stayed for 4 nights. Three would have been sufficient.

The National Museum is truly grand, as is Langsham Temple. I very much enjoyed the Tomb of the Martyrs as well as the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial.

I took day trips booked through the hotel front desk brochure, and I visited the northern and the northeastern parts of the country.

In the evenings after dinner I strolled the avenues and explored the district surrounding my hotel.

English popped up in the most unusual places; many persons have a relative or two in the U.S. whom they occasionally visit.

What ever you decide, enjoy the trip!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 08:39 AM

The National Palace Museum is outstanding. There is beautiful hiking to be found on Yangmingshan, right outside Taipei. Food everywhere is excellent. The LongShan temple combines both Daoist and Buddhist shrines. There are numerous hot springs throughout the country and you ought to consider trying one. If you have time, take the train to Hualien and stay in Taroko Gorge. I have not been to Sun Moon Lake yet, but I understand it is lovely. It is probably best to combine a Taipei trip with one to, say, Hong Kong or Tokyo. English is an issue, but never in a good hotel.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 08:39 PM

There is a lot to see and do in Taiwan though outside of Taipei it's generally not set up for foreign tourism. I've lived here for seven years now. Check out my website for some ideas.

http://www.travelsinasia.com/Taiwan/Taiwan.htm