Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need help for Taiwan trip (Family with 2 young kids and a toddler)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Hope that you can help. I am planning to go Taiwan in Dec. This is my draft itinerary.
Day 1 - Taipei Museum
Day 2- Taipei Zoo, Cable Car, Shinlin Market
Day 3- Travel to Hualien Taroko Gorge (how do I go from TP to Hualien? and is there a reliable driver for Toroko gorge?)
Day 4 - Hualien or leave for Flying Cow farm (Again, how do I travel from Hualien to Flying Cow? Is there a reliable driver or public transport?)
Day 5 - Flying Cow farm
Day 6 - CingJing area (Is there anything else to do?)
Day 7 - Taichung (Little boss or Natural Science Museum) and Night market
Day 8 - Taipei and home-sweet-home

Appreciate all the help I can get here! Many thanks, everyone!
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a TR on Taiwan - http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...-excursion.cfm

I didn't think much of the zoo, and you need to check that the cable car is running the day you choose.

You can take the train from Taipei to Hualien. I used a car and driver arranged by my Hualian hotel for the gorge, but there are also buses.

Have never heard of Flying Cow farm. Recommend Lonely Planet for info on transport.

I really liked Tainan, but that's because I enjoyed the temples.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:39 PM

There are pandas at the zoo, and the kids might like that. The cable doesn't always run, so check before you head out.

If you spend the night in Taroko Gorge, your hotel will send a car to the train station to pick you up. I'd say the train is your best bet. The gorge is really beautiful.

I've heard of Flying Cow, but never been, and don't know how to recommend you travel. Taichung is nice, and the University there has a chapel designed by I.M. Pei.

If you spend your first day at the National Palace Museum, there is an aboriginal museum almost directly across the street. You can buy a joint ticket.

There is a tour company called Edison Tours in Taipei. They might be able to provide a car and driver for you.

Have fun. Such a great country.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Skip the zoo, unless you going there to see the pandas they have specifically.

You can take a train from Taipei to Hualian, go to Taipei Main Station to buy the train tickets. I use to take airplanes to Hualian, but I am not sure if they still have domestic flights in Taiwan (since they have high speed rail now).

I personally like Ximending Market area in Taipei, Shilin Market has been too touristy for me and the food quality has gone down, but still very interesting for first timers.

The science museum in Taichung has a section about Chinese technology from the old times, that is the only exhibit that really caught my eyes.

Taichung has 3 night markets, with Fengjia as the biggest one.

Other places in Taichung that are interesting: 1. Taichung Park 2. Taichung Confucius Temple (near Taichung Number One High School, which also has a small night market in front of the school at night) 3. Wen Chang Temple.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM

oh, for CingJing, here is their English website with activity suggestions: http://www.cingjing.gov.tw/en/trip/index.php

When I was there, I went to watch the herding and farm related shows. They let you feed the sheep milk.