SKYTRAIN

Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

SKYTRAIN

We are going to be in Bangkok for the New Year ,We have been before but We are now staying at the Marriot resort and spa ,how do We use the sky train to get there,the other times We had a limo ,its time for an adventure.could anyone help Us.
Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM

The Marriott provides a free shuttle boat from the resort to the Taksin Bridge Skytrain station. Operates about every 15 minutes until around 9:00 pm (I think). If you're coming back late, you'll need to get a taxi.
Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM

Hi Crewe,
If you are talking about getting to the Marriott from the airport, you will have to catch a taxi as the rail link is not complete. For getting around Bangkok, the Marriott has a boat that takes you to the Saphan Taksin skytrain station, which is presently the last station on the Silom line. The sky train is a great way to get around and a day ticket will cost 120 baht, or you can buy single trip tickets from 10-40 baht depending on the length of your journey. The boat from the Marriott takes about 15 minutes and they run frequently. The trains seem to depart every 5 minutes at any time of day. I certainly cant remember ever having to wait too long for one.
Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank You ,We were not sure how far We could go on the sky train,do You think it is the way to go. We arrive at the new airport at 6-30 am on Thai . so We think We should be ready to hit the road around 7-30 .Crewe
Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM

the marriott boat runs from about 6AM to 11PM..

personally i would take a taxi to the marriott from the airport after a long flight...

there are showers under the pool in the bathroom area if you need them...i doubt you will get into your room that early....pool opens about 9....
Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:53 PM

I may be reading your message wrong, but here goes anyway - there is NO Skytrain service from the new Suvarnabhumi airport at this time! The old Don Muang airport does have local train service

Maybe late next year the Airport Skytrain connection will be finished for Suvarnabhumi!

From the airport take a meter taxi to your hotel or make arrangements with your hotel for a ride.

The meter taxi fare should be around 350 to 400 baht. This fare includes a 50 baht service charge, one or two cheap toll charges and what ever the meter reads out at. You pay the driver after you arrive at the hotel. Sometimes the driver may not have the toll money (not much) and ask you to pay, this is okay - just deduct it when you pay him for the ride.

You get the taxi from the taxi sign up desk outside the arrivals hall, near the street. Always have some small bills for paying taxi drivers and street vendors. A 500 baht note may be too large for a driver to cash, unless you don't want any change back!

AVOID THE TOUTS IN THE ARRIVALS HALL SELLING RIDES INTO TOWN - UNLESS YOU REALLY DON'T MIND PAYING MORE FOR YOUR RIDE!

In town use meter taxi cabs, only pay the meter fare and the ride is cheaper than bargaining! Hail a moving taxi at the street. Parked taxi cabs may want to bargain, especially at expensive hotels (any place over $30 U.S.) where they think everyone is rich and stupid too!

When you do want to use the Skytrain you will find a long walk to get up to the Skytrain ticket machine, probably 3 floors. Check for an elevator or escalator if you can't do steps.

Hal

Dec 2nd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank You Hal ,that clears things up for Us ,We have been to BKK before but not for about five years ,so it like starting over.Again thanks to You all the help. Crewe
Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM

Since we frequently stay at the MRAS, one of the thing we found that is helpful is to take the sky train to the stop nearest to where you are going and THEN get a taxi from the bottom of the skytrains's stairs to your destnation...always using the meter. This gets you across some of the trafic gridlocks much faster.
Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM

The skytrain is a wonderful way to travel around Bangkok. From the station where your Marriott will leave you off, you can go to the other end of the line and be at MBK shopping mall.

There are two skytrain lines. The "other one" (not the one from Saphan Taksin to MBK) goes from the weekend market (Mo Chit) out to On Nut. On the Mo Chit to On Nut line, you will pass a lot of the better shopping places. Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery, Central World Plaza, the Emporium, Central Chitlom Department Store, etc. There are really too many to mention all of them!! Shopping in Bangkok is wonderful!

The two skytrain routes CROSS at Siam Center. This is where you find Siam Paragon and Discovery.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

When you get back to Saphan Taksin, just walk down to the pier and watch for your Marriott boat! Very simple... very easy to do.

Enjoy your trip.

Carol

(ps... hello from Amsterdam!!! On my way to Switzerland tomorrow)
Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM

We use the skytrain a lot in Bangkok. We always buy a multi-trip ticket. This last trip we purchased a 20 trip ticket. For us that makes more sense than a day pass. If we have any trips left over when it is time to leave, we give the cards to a hotel employee - a small gift that is always appreciated!
Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:38 PM

The Marriott boats run until midnight. I was there 2 weeks ago and caught several "last boats" back to the hotel right at midnight.
Dec 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

You are all great, now one more thing,(some people never stop)has anyone eaten at Thamying at Silom,a friend raved about it .Thanks Crewe
Dec 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Kathie
My BKK friend Maeng always appreciates my "left over" sky train tickets. I always buy a multi trip ticket also... usually about 300 baht worth. Lasts a long time.

Carol