Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Marriott Resort and Spa Airport Transportation

Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

What is the typical cost for transportation from the Marriott Resort to BKK? How much time should we allow for travel for a late morning flight?
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:16 PM

allow at least one hour for travel from marriott to the airport....it will take you less time...insist that they use the toll road....70B extra..

at a discount price with aac limo i have paid 1275B round trip...

a taxi will be as little as 300B or as much as 600-700B....

you can pre-arrange with one of the taxis outside the marriott (several on the street all day) for a flat fee of 400-600B...or you can have the hotel just call for the next cab...

the marriott charges #36 ++ to your bill for a benz sedan...i like it for late nite arrivals...or i use AAC limo for 50% (plus no ++) less in the same size car...
Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:51 PM

Julie charged us B600 which inculded the toll costs. I wanted to use acc but when i was talking to julie she convinced me to just use her services the entire time. i think that acc has better cars for the same price tho! Rhkkmk is exactly right about the time for late morning to the airport, the exact time just depends on how bad traffic is that morning
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:16 PM

If you travel light and are departing in daylight and want to save 200 baht, you can get the Marriott boat to the wharf near Taksin skytrain stop and hop into a taxi from there, as we did the reverse when arriving. When departing, we took a meter taxi from the Marriott rear entrance as we were running late & the guy was a real jerk insisting that 600 baht was the going rate. The concierge pockets the difference, probably. It is not the going rate at all. Locals laugh at this kind of stuff!! The meter was 300 plus 70 baht for the tolls! These taxi guys are used to rich tourists who go along with whatever they tell them! We got talking to a staff member at the Marriott who was fabulous for info on shopping for great copies & DVD's of good quality and Bangkok info as only a local can supply. She said to just say Thai price is all I'll pay! Which is a bit hard if you've got 10 bags of luggage with you! LOL. By the way Bob, we loved the Marriott and they upgraded us to a riverview room with all the trimmings. It is our hotel of choice for Bangkok now, even though it is a little far from everything. Have you used the new subway? It is fabulous for Lumpini night markets!
Jan 4th, 2005, 07:03 AM

the subway was not yet open when we left in june, but expect to use it on next trip hopefully in may again...

marriott is simply the best....for the little bit of money you save i would not bother with the boat and carrying anything to the taxi...often taxis need to be hailed out on the street...who knows if they really understand what you want....i find the marriott taxi guys are great and reliable...tell them you want to pay 400 or 500...it still beats the hotels $36++....
Jan 4th, 2005, 09:37 AM

going to marriott in feb. When you say the marriott taxi guys, do you mean the taxi's that are parked outside the hotel and are these taxi's ok to take us wherever we want to go? Thanks
Jan 4th, 2005, 09:49 AM

yes, that is correct...there are usually 3 or 4 taxis who wait out on the street to be called up into the hotel...the doorman calls the policeman at the entrance and he signals the next taxi to enter the hotel...
we had a very good experience with a young man who spends his spare time waiting there...his wife is a maid in the hotel and he does touring work and special driving as you require...his name is somphet gunthon..his cell number is 0-6040-9893...i could not dial it from the hotel so had the operator do it for me for some reason...he has no e-mail...he is fantastic and charges about 250B per hour...his cab is quite new and spotless...his english is good...we will use him again...we had him for 8 hours while we went from shop to shop picking up things we had purchased during our vacation...i gave him a list and he followed it perfectly and made a couple of suggestions on alterations to make things go more smoothly..
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:05 AM

for anyone who does not want to have the big breakfast or just wants to save money on breakfast....the marriott has a cafe in the basement level--ground level...it has a bakkery...they have fresh made pastry daily which you can take out...we buy it and take it to the room as the buffet is too much for us most days...it is also way cheaper...usually $2. for the two of us...there are coffee machines in the rooms...hint...after 7PM the pastry is on sale so if you buy the nite before....
Jan 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM

To rhkkmk- thanks for info,will print it off- think our breakfast is in with the price. Is it far to Harmonique and Cabbages & condoms from hotel?
Jan 4th, 2005, 06:49 PM

harmonique is quite close....it is about 1/2 way between the oriental hotel and the sheraton orchid hotel but out on "new" road on the other side of the river from the marriott...it is right next to the general post office on soi 34, new road...its quite far to walk...i would take a cab from either the marriott (you will arrive fresh for dinner that way) or from taskim pier at the other end of the shuttle boat...
cabbages is quite a ways...easiest is either a cab from the marriott or boat to sky train, to emporium stop, i think??? and then a cab or walk down soi 12, sukhumvit rd....its quite a ways...about 2/3rds of the way down the soi on your right..if you eat there, go next door to crepes and co for dessert...its one of my favorites for both dessert and for meals...
Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:25 PM

How often does the Marriott ferry run? Cost?
Jan 22nd, 2005, 10:18 PM

I just got back from the Marriott and did this- a regular taxi from the Marriott to BKK Airport will cost you a flat fee of 400 baht, no more, no less, with tolls included. You should allow at least an hour's travel time for a late morning flight, (you may need every bit of that time or more) as you need to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight.

The Marriott ferry boat shuttle to Taksin Skytrain stop runs every 15 minutes -the last one leaves Taksin for the Marriott at midnight. There is no cost-it is free for guests and anyone else who wants to go out to the Marriott.

But if you want to stay out late, miss the shuttle and take a taxi back to the hotel, not to worry, it costs all of 99 baht (US 2.50 or so) to go from Sukhumvit to the Marriott.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:27 AM

I took taxis from BKK to the Marriott R&S and return on January 7.

At BKK, the sign at the taxi stand said that there was a charge of 50 Baht which I believe is an airport surcharge. You pay it to the driver. The sign also stated that passenger pays additional for the tolls. The lady said that the toll was 20 baht. When I got in the car, I saw that the meter was on, at the starting charge of 35 baht.

The driver took the tool road and I saw him pay the 20 baht. The cab exited the freeway and went past the HI Silom and then to a bridge over the river. When we got to the R&S the meter was at 217 baht. So 217 +50 +20 is 287 baht, so I paid the driver 300 baht. Actually, one of the bellboys or doorman ran in to change a 1000 baht note for me to pay the cab. The trip took about 30 minutes, I think, not more than 40, arriving around 11AM.

Got an early check-in and proceeded to sleep off the remaining symptoms of intestinal distress that I acquired in Siem Reap. Then I repacked my stuff, took a short stroll of the grounds, and headed to the airport. I was at the Marriott about 10 hours.

It took a couple of minutes for a taxi to arrive at the Marriott. When I got in, I noticed that the meter was not on and I told the driver to turn it on. The driver held up 4 fingers and said 400 baht to the airport. I thought that I knew better, having just taken a taxi from the aiport earlier that day. I said 300. He said 350. I said 300 and he said ok.

He got onto the street when I realized that I had made a mistake. Told him to turn the meter on but he wagged three fingers at me and said ok. I resigned, after all a deal is a deal. My mistake was that there was probably no surcharge for a taxi drop at the airport. So 250 baht is probably the right price.

The real mistake, though, is not having the driver turn on the meter before I closed the door to the taxi. Next time I am in Bangkok (there will be a next time I hope) I will tell the doorman to tell the arriving taxi driver to turn his meter on. And I will look into the car to make sure it is on before I go.

Actually, on Dec 31st I took a taxi from the HI Silom to the Marriott R&S to drop off a couple of bags (that I picked up on the 7th). The taxi started moving before I noticed that the meter was not on. We quickly negotiated a 100 baht fare. As he tried to enter the traffic clogged road, I insisted on an 80 baht fare. He declined, so (being a welcher when I realize I made a bad bargain) I told him to pop the trunk. Got my bags and 15 feet away there was a meter taxi dropping somebody off. The driver had the meter on, to 35 baht, as I got seated. The meter fare was only 55 baht if I remember correctly. That 45 baht difference (from the 100 that the first driver wanted) is a big deal to me, not in the amount of money (about $1.14) but because the driver was trying to rip me off. No mistake, that is what they are doing.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:41 AM

taxi fare to the airport is not set...i have paid as little as 250B or as much as 700B...it depends on traffic, driver knowledge and whether you use the toll road or not---extra 70B....

the aac limo is about 700-900B---i forget exactly....

i take a taxi and run the meter...it is usually about 325-425B plus toll from the marriott....that's aboput 1/2 the price of the limos...the hotel car is $36++ the last time i took it...
Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:59 AM

Taxi fare to the airport from the Marriott is not set, however, I was told at the Marriott- 400 baht, with tolls, and that is what I paid. That made it easy.

I left the hotel at around 8:30pm, (this was just a week and a half ago) the highway was congested. It took 50 minutes to get there, the traffic was completely backed up once we got to the outer perimeters-everybody and their brother was coming in or going out-we creeped along to departures. (I was scheduled to leave at 11:45pm). The point of this exchange is that BKK traffic jams can hit at any hour- and you need to allow yourself some extra time on top of the quoted driving time to account for that.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:00 AM

Ok, vker, the "typical" cost by metered taxi seems to be 400 baht. There is no way that I will believe that a Bangkok taxi driver doesn't know how to get to the airport, so there is no need to allow for driver error (that would not be an error, it would be a scam). Also, I am sure that they know what inflated charges they can get away with quoting to tourists from each of the 4* and 5* hotels. My fare of 217 baht (I am pretty sure that is the actual amount) was from the domestic terminal to the Marriort. If the international terminal is farther, then I doubt the fare could be more than 250 baht. Memories can be deceiving, but I seem to remember seeing the driver hand over a 20 baht note to the toll booth person and that the sign had two prices 20 and 10 (the lower price for motorbikes is my guess). My 300 baht trip to the airport at 9PM was much like the one Spygirl took.

I think that the charge for wait time is 1.25 baht per minute. That means that if there was 60 minutes of wait time in addition to the 30 minute travel time that the wait time charge would be 75 baht. So 250+20+75 = 345 baht would be a high cost trip.