Another Marriott question-distance from hotel to skytrain by taxi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on everything I've been reading on this forum, I definitely want to stay at the Bangkok Marriott Resort this June. I have sent an inquiry to huahin.20m. and was quoted $128/night for Deluxe river view, including taxes and breakfast, with an option to upgrade to Jr. Suite, subject to availability. Does anyone know how likely it will be that we get the suite? And do we have to wait to check in to find out? Also, if we want to request a room in a certain building, do we have to wait until check-in, or can we request it through the hua hin site. But my biggest hesistation to staying at the Marriott, is the location. Even though the river taxi is available, I will be with my young children, and don't feel comfortable taking them on the river boat without life jackets. (I already emailed huahin and the TAT and was told no life jackets). So do I bring life jackets from the US(not too practical), wait until arrival and see if the Marriott can get them somewhere, just travel by taxi, or stay at the ShangriLa, which is more $$$???? How long would the taxi ride from the Marriott to the sky train be? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:35 PM

I really find it hard to believe that there are no life jackets on the shuttle boats.

Carol
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:06 PM

If you don't want to use the Marriott riverboats then maybe the Marriott is not the place for you to stay, unless you email the hotel direct and ask them about life jackets. We found it difficult to get around by taxi from the Marriott, whereas the Marriott boats take you straight to Saphan Taksin skytrain station.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:34 PM

i use taxis all the time from the marriott...its hard to tell you time to skytrain stop because traffic is so variable....but...
no traffic maybe 10 minutes, moderate traffic maybe 25 min...heavy bridge and street traffic maybe 30-40 minutes.....boat always 12 minutes...

there are life vests, adult, on the boat....

if this is such an issue with you why not bring blow up ones that you can throw away after using or leave at the hotel...

i have seen tons of kids on the boat in the past and never heard anyone ask about life vests...but i can understand your hesitation....

to be honest if i fell in that water i would hope to die....the potential for disease is so great that you would be better off dead...

i have always requested another building upon arrival if i do not like where i am being put and it never is a problem...

as for upgrade, i believe it is automatic upon arrival...that is the way my huahin res. worked last year...i have two res this year for buy 6, pay for five and expect it to be handled upon check in with no questions....the thais at the desk are very laid back, not like your usual western front desk types...they are very accomodating...if you do not like what you get ask for an assistant mangager the next morning and they will move you...
this is a very accomodating hotel...
i have a building preference, but frankly people laugh at me as they are all basically the same...

i view the location as a plus...it is easy to access many areas of the city from there via taxi...remember taxis are very cheap and a one hour ride may only cost $4....
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:56 PM

OH boy you may have a problem... that taxi ride may take for ever...

BOB is obvioulsy the Mariotts PR man so he'll give you the some spin..lol.. but I can easaly see the avarege trip taking 40++++ and thats JUST TOO THE SKYTRIAN.. as Bob says the boat ride is 15 minuts.. once ya get too the station you have about another 10 minuts too siam station (MAIN hub)

trust me Im 30 years old and I cry and moan when I'm stuck in taxis ..

------------
NOTE make sure too pack lots of GAME BOY games..
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM

orgy...i figured you would pack game girl toys???
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:34 AM

To really see Bangkok, and to avoid the massive traffic jams, you are going to have to get on a boat a few times. A klong tour, a visit to the Royal Barges, Temple of the Dawn, etc all require a boat trip. There are waterbuses that commute up and down the river and save a lot of time, plus they are part of the experience of Bangkok. I would not be overly concerned about the lack of life jackets, esp if your children are not toddlers and can swim. (If they are toddlers, then you just hang on to them, if they can’t swim, then hotel pools are going to be a big danger as well.) The Marriott boat is wide and flat, more like a pontoon boat, and has an inside portion with a railing. The river is very calm. The commuter boats are like buses, with inside seats. Kids are on it and all the other forms of boat transport all the time.

IMO, they have a much better chance of getting in a car accident in Bangkok traffic than falling overboard on a river boat.

As noted above, for the upgrade it will depend on availability when you check in. The junior suites are not suites, that is they don’t have a separate bedroom, they are large rooms with a sofa and chairs that are part of the bedroom. If you have one deluxe room for all of you, ask about room size, as this may be small for a family, esp if you need one or more rollaway cots. You might want to book the junior suite to be on the safe side. Also, it appears you are not booking through the Marriott website, but using a commercial website. Marriott will meet or better any bona fide internet rate, I would contact the hotel by fax, show them the rate you have for the type of room, and ask them to meet or better it, or give you an upgrade for the same price as the deluxe room. You can also request the specific wing of the hotel which you would prefer. If you are a Marriott Rewards member, mention this (or join now), that may help as well. I always feel more comfortable dealing directly with the hotel rather than a third party.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:33 AM

How old are your children? They should be fine on the boat and I agree with Bob, if they fall in the problem will be disease not drowning.

I also understand your concerns. If you don't want to use the boat to get everywhere I would DEFINITELY go to a different hotel. Either the Shangrila or Royal Orchid if you want to stay on the river.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:13 AM

my experience on more than one occasion is that this marriott will not match any other offer....but marriott has a new policy so they may do it now???
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

My children are 5 and 8 yrs. so they swim "a little". I feel better knowing there are adult life jackets on the boat. Also noted the point about chances of being in a traffic accident in BKK are greater than on the boat.Is the boat owned by the Marriott and used only for Marriott guests? I did hear that the Manohra boat has children's life jackets-wonder if they'd let us use those? I did look into bringing inflatable life jackets, but they cost about $100, so it kind of defeats the point of staying at the Marriott(to save money). I called the Marriott reserv. to request that they match the rate on huahin.20m site. They have a program called "look no further" but you have to book the reserv. then fill out a claim form to get the lower rate. And they might not give it if the internet site is a wholesaler. Seems easier to just book through huahin!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 06:03 PM

my guess is that the matching program is only for the base cost of the room and the beauty of the huahin site is the taxes and service plus breakfast are all included making it a huge savings...

the inflatables i ment are those little arm bands kids wear or an inflatable round tube for beach play or for a swimming pool...

who ever knows who owns anything, but it appears that the boats belong to the marriott and the workers are all employees---most of them i have seen for years...they are very kind by the way and will help the kids get on and off...
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM

..just a comment. I am just back from bkk and stayed at the Marriot..I would use the river and not the road; there is no question as to which is safer in my mind! Many of the taxis will not have seat belts too. The other thing that no one else has talked about is the heat. When are you going? I went this month and admittedly I am from New England originally but I really had trouble with the heat. How will your kids cope? You might find that sight seeing can be made better by the marriot launch but at the sky train station I'd get on a ferry instead. There are 3 differnt types one with a green flag, one yellow and the other red..One is a local the other an epress and the yellow in between. Many of the sights are on the river; the Marriot concierge will tell you which one to take and the stop to get off. I found that it was cooler on the river and there was a slight breeze on the boat and this provided some relief...
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM

this is good info...but don't confuse the ferries with the flags...those are the regular river ferries, not the marriott boats...there is only one, actually 2 or 3, marriott boats and they are easy to spot...they have a name on the roof that is huge...the colored flag boats are used for going up and down the river....i did not find them too cool but the marriott boat is very refreshing and now they give you ice cold water on your way back to the hotel and a cold face cloth...that is very nice...

i use taxis to keep out of the heat so traffic for 1/2 hour or so does not bother me as i am cool...an advantage to a taxi....for instance i never go out to a restaurant except in a taxi, as i want to arrive cool and relaxed...i might return on the marriott boat however...

if your kids drink plenty of water they will be fine...the pool will assist in keeping the kids cool...this is another reason to be at marriott...

we find that we swim in the morning and late in the afternoon after a day out...it changes your whole perspective...a swim of 15 minutes will do...
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:51 PM

..No I am not confusing the Marriot ferry with the public ferries. tnnc was talking about the skytrain and I meant to suggest that I would try to use the public ferries rather than the skytrain for anything on the river. They can be accessed at the skytrain stop which as you know is where the Marriot launch comes and goes from the skytrain stop...totally agree with your comment about the pool, but I wish they had more beach chairs!!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:21 PM

as for as public transportation in thailand goes.. along with some cultural aspects. (i think)... Children are given the priority too sit down.. if your on the skytrain or boat I bet ya anythng that a thai person will get up and point too your kids too sit down..

===========
remember this is NOT bangladesh or or the philapinees where ferries and boeats are constatnly overpacked..
--------
as far as the public ferries go, I personly can't use them since the piers are too wobbaly and don't have anythng too hold on too...
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:08 AM
cwn

Hi tnnc,

We were in Bangkok for the first time this past Nov. We stayed at the Shangri-La for $195 including breakfast. It is a short walk to the skytrain or you can use their free shuttle. I booked direct with the hotel, by email. They did every thing they possibly could to accommodate my requests and we were not dissapointed. They seem very children friendly from the looks of the number of famiies with young children there. Their pools(2) and grounds are beautiful, the river setting is very wonderful, the rooms are beautiful, quiet and spacious, all overlook the river, the hotel food was very good with several options of price and type of dinning experience including a great and inexpensive room service. We used this option one night when we could not stand the thought of getting dressed and out in the heat again! Yes, it is very hot and humid even for a Texas Gulf coast native!

We did use the river taxis, took a dinner boat trip, a three hour canal tour and the Marriot taxi, as I was interested in seeing the propery. (We usually stay at Marriots if available.) We will go back to Bangkok! It is a wonderful city with much to see and do for all ages!

After looking at several Hotels on the river and downtown while we were there, we will try the Shangri-La again. Check their and other internet sites and with the hotel direct for the best rates. At the time we were there, they were near the Marriot rates. We picked the Shangri-La based on the advice of a friend who travels there often. I had read the comments from members on this board and was not sure what to do. But our friend travels for bussiness and likes his creature comforts! He was ont wrong.

I personally feel the Bangkok Marriot is not well located for getting around in Bangkok though. The traffic is terrible, at one point we were advised to get out of the taxi and take the skytrain to the dinner place -it was 7:30pm and the traffic was gridelocked! Our local guide said this was the norm. The skytrain and the water taxis are the best bet to get around.

Since you are concerned about your young children, you should know that the river is wide and heavily traveled by all types of ships- large and small. In the morning it is usually calm, but by the afternoon it can be very ruff, especially if there is a breeze.

If I were traveling with my children, I would not stay at the Marriot, You will have to use a taxi or the boat to get anywhere. Yes, it is a nice property, but it is poorly located for a first trip. If you plan to shop and sightsee, you will spend alot of time back and forth on the River.

I know you will have a great trip. The people are wonderful. If you have the time, go up to the River Kwai area and take death railway ride. The kids will love it. We used a car and guide ($109) for a long day. You see a whole different part of Thailand.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:48 AM

i of course disagree with the summary above as to the location...i like the fact that it is removed...i have only had one instance of really annoying traffic and that time it took me one hour to come from soi 93, sukhumvit to the marriott, but it only cost $5.....i too have stayed at the shangri-la and it is very lovely and has great facilites, but i do not find it the type of hotel where you could just let mature children walk around on their own or where they would feel totally comfortable on their own...its size alone, i find daunting...it is a city hotel... i think it would be a good alternative to you, albeit more expensive, say 40%-50% more...
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Just wanted to say that I agree with Bob about the Marriott. We have a 5 year old and will stay there with him this December, we were there last December right before the tsunami, just my wife and I, and loved the Marriott in just about every way my wife found a small a small blow up life vest just in case they dont have them in his size on the boat. I dont remember if they did or not. Our son is sooooo excited about going, even tho we told him Mcdonalds does not taste the same! My opinion does not matter that much since we have only been there once, but just had to put our 2 cents in!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM

we think mcdonals tastes exactly the same and it is 1/2 the price...reassure him!!!!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:12 PM

maybe we just had the wrong thing! He would only eat the chicken and french fries anyway and the chicken cant be that different from ours! And yes, it was us that was there on our honeymoon, and yes we have a 5 year old, it was just a VERY late honeymoon We are going back in December because a friend is getting married there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -