Singapore weather in August/September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2017, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about traveling to Singapore (with a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur) for about a week and a half in August or September of this year. How is the weather that time of year? It seems some other parts of SE Asia are quite rainy, but from what I can tell, the weather in Singapore is pretty consistent. I will be traveling alone, so I don't really want to be trapped indoors much due to weather. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 10:59 AM

Here is the historical weather data for Singapore: http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/c...name=Singapore

Note that it is hot year around, as it is located virtually on the equator. The rainiest months are Nov, Dec, Jan.

Do you have a large budget for this trip? I ask because Singapore is the most expensive city in Asia.

There are plenty of interesting places to visit nearby; Kuala Lumpur isn't one of them. What are you interested in? With some more info, we could recommend some places for you to visit outside of Singapore.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 11:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Having done several dozen business trips to Singapore, in every month of the year, I'd agree that it's consistently hot and humid. There is not a clearly defined rainy season like in Thailand. Maybe slightly more rain in December-January, but not a huge difference from the rest of the year.

When it rains it can really come down, but generally short lived and that can happen at any time.

... and I just checked this:
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/c...name=Singapore
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 11:16 AM

Kathie and I were posting the weatherbase link at the same time.

Also, a good travel umbrella is handy to have.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie. I wouldn't say that I have an unlimited budget at all, but that's not my highest priority on this trip. I would say that my budget for hotels is probably around $150-$200/night (which seems very doable in some other Asian cities I've researched, but I haven't really looked at Singapore). I also have a family friend that lives in Singapore that haven't spoken to yet, but I would anticipate that he would offer for me to stay with him, or at least show me around.
As far as my interests, I've never been to SE Asia, so I would say that trying to go to as many countries as possible (I realize that the stays would be brief), seeing some "authentic" Asian culture, food, and maybe a little beach time would be nice.

Below is what I was hoping to do:

-12 hour (or so) layover in Dubai on the way over or back
-3 days Singapore
-Fly to Kuala Lumpur and stay 2 days
-I would like to go to Bali for a couple of days, but that
seems ambitious. Instead, I thought about Batam or Bintan
for a couple of days.

I know this may seem like too much to cram into 9-10 days, but I am looking to "get away" on this trip. I've done quite a bit of international traveling before, but not solo. Thanks for the advice!
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 01:03 PM

It is too much for the time you have, and for the things you are looking for KL is not a good fit. Dividing your time between Singapore and Bali wpuld get you more of what your are looking for. Batam or Bintan also don't offer what you are looking for.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 07:46 PM

Both Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are large international cities (city/state in Singapore's case). There's a lot to do and see -- and eat -- in both, but both offer an urban oriented experience with a heavy overlay of Western culture. I'd agree that Singapore has the edge over KL on things to do.

The Indonesian islands near Singapore are convenient weekend get-aways but not really cultural destinations. The resorts are quite nice, but the beaches less so.

If you want to get out of the city and experience a different Southeast Asian culture, Bali would be a good add-on to either Singapore or KL, but to try to do all three in 6 days would be way too much. Flights from either place to Bali on Air Asia are frequent and inexpensive. Depending on your airline choice, you also may be able to fly non-stop Dubai-Bali.

You'll get good weather in Bali in August/September.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 11:38 PM

"...traveling alone, so I don't really want to be trapped indoors much due to weather. Any thoughts are appreciated!"

You're not going to get trapped indoors even if it rains. I've been going to Singapore regularly since the 90s and don't ever remember getting trapped indoors due to rain. I was just there in Dec/Jan/ Feb.

There is nearly an underground city that one can walk in order to stay out of a lot of the rain as the MRT (subway) stations are linked to the various undergrounds. The rain usually comes pouring down and then stops pretty fast. If it starts pouring, while I'm out, then I just duck into a store or underground until it stops and then continue after that.

As for a week and a half, I wouldn't throw in KL for 2 days. I've been to KL several times and it's not that I don't like it, it's just that it's more difficult to maneuver than Singapore. If I were you, I'd head for Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia. Plus, the dollar buys a lot in Malaysia.

As for your hotel budget of $150-$200 in Singapore, it's doable. Check Expedia. When I had a lower budget to spend, I stayed for many trips at the YMCA International House hotel which is really nice and is very conveniently located at #1 Orchard Road and almost next to the Dhoby Gaut (sp?) MRT (subway) station. I've watched the "Y" make big transformations over nearly 20 years.

Have fun. Singapore is fun!

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 11:44 PM

Below is the link. I've stayed there for as long as 2 weeks straight and was fine with it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Singapore.html

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 12:03 AM

If you scroll down the TripAdvisor link above, you'll also come upon the Rendezvous Hotel. It's directly across the street from the YMCA International House Hotel. Once my best friend and her daughter stayed there and I stayed across the street at the "Y". She had gotten a deal in connection with her Singapore Air flight from L.A. to Singapore and then on to Bangkok where we first started that trip. The Rendezvous runs some good deals from time to time.

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 12:20 PM

I've been to Singapore quite a lot and the one thing that sticks out about going late August is that it was extra hot and humid then but aside from that it's a fine time to go....l
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I spoke to my family friend in Singapore, and he said that the weather in August/September shouldn't be a deterrent. So, I think I'm going to go! Now, I just have to plan the details. Thanks for you info/advice.
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 07:10 PM

Glad that you're going to go. I've also been in Singapore in late August and was fine with the weather.

Oh, when I put in some August dates for the YMCA International House, the price popped up at $90. The Rendezvous Hotel popped up at $135. Both are well within your budget and located in prime locations.

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 17th, 2017, 07:45 AM

Two possible Malaysian getaways from Singapore that don't require an additional flight are Malacca or Pulau Tioman. The later is a LOT nicer than Batam or Bintan.
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 11:06 AM

At the top end of your budget (I'm assuming your 150-200 dollars are U.S. dollars), we can highly recommend the new Oasia Hotel Downtown. They often run "flash sales" or other below rack rate promotions -- for late August/early September, you could get a room for $200 SGD per night.

We stayed there in February as a jet-lag recovery hotel (our flight got in at 5:30 am) before moving to Raffles around 3 pm. We really liked it and would happily stay there again. If you like to swim and you want to splurge just a bit more, go for a club room -- the large club floor pool is covered and you can swim as much as you like in the rain (but not during a thunderstorm) and your towel and chaise lounge will stay nice and dry. Plus you'll be out of the brutal Singapore sun. There is also a second regular pool that's not covered.

It's an easy walk to Chinatown and to a hawker center. Mass transit is close by. My German teacher happened to stay there for 10 days just before our stay (her son is studying at INSEAD Singapore) and she also gives it high marks.

http://www.stayfareast.com/en/hotels...medium=organic
Old Apr 18th, 2017, 10:49 PM

Forgot to mention that a club floor room includes breakfast in the club floor dining area, evening cocktail and canape hours (a nice way to mingle with other guests), on-demand coffee, tea and non-alcoholic drinks and snacks all day long, and free laundry for 2 pieces of clothing per day. With a sale or special offer, the surcharge for a club room can quickly pay for itself. According to the hotel's website, a club room, inc taxes etc, would cost about $210 (U.S.) in late August/early September. A regular room would be about $165 (also USD and including taxes).
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 05:57 PM

Warm Sunday morning greetings from our lovely home of Singapore to the OP, 'Tennessee' - and glad you will be spending time in our city-state. Am fortunate to live in Singapore for family, work and residence.

Writing to add praise to the Oasia Hotel Downtown mentioned above; great friends, managers and staff at that property. Have attended some enjoyable and informative work-related receptions at the Oasia. She's a good addition to our ever-evolving lodging scene. (And happy to assist with other SIN lodging options.)

Enjoy your planning and have fun in our city-state. Best Sunday wishes from Singapore,

robert