Search

Advice itinerary trip Thailand/Laos in July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice itinerary trip Thailand/Laos in July

Hi everyone,

For our honeymoon (but also as a trip that we've wanted to make for a while) my (then) husband and I are going to Thailand (and preferably also Laos) in July.
We have booked the tickets, 12-07 till 02-08 (Bankok), but we don't really have an itinerary in mind yet. Especially as the weather isn't great in July I figured asking some advice wouldn't be a bad idea.
So I was hoping some experts on this website could help us out . So far I've read that the Gulf coast is best for islands/beach.. And our plan is to spend the first three nights in Bangkok and then ?

About us:
- We like flora/fauna/trekking but also good food and the occasional night out
- We're not very high-maintenance, so we wouldn't mind staying in hostels every once in a while
- A mix of some urban places (Bangkok and maybe another city?) and rural areas is nice
- As it's still our honeymoon we would also like to stay on an island somewhere for about 4 days (I've read about Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan, are they nice?)
- Some domestic flights wouldn't be an issue

What's a good route we could take? And how could Laos fit into this? (And which parts of Laos..)

In other words, still a lot to figure out .

Thanks everyone!

(PS, my fiance mentioned if Cambodia could also be an option, but I read that the weather is even worse there in July, is that true?)
Old Apr 4th, 2017, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Oh! And I've heard of the Gibbon Experience in Laos, not sure it that would fit in or if that's recommended in July. But if it is, that would be something we'd like to consider as well .
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 06:24 AM

Congratulations! Seems like you have already done your homework on the weather so I won't add much except to say that The best trekking will be in The northern part of Laos which will be at ge height of its rainy season which could make road transport difficult ( although roads have apparently improved in recent years) and trekking a very muddy proposition.

Both notrth and southern Laos are lovely but are very different. Luang Prabang and Vientiane are easily reached from Bangkok by air or overland if you have the time. I would be inclined to fly into one of those and take if from there. LP is a gateway to the mountains of the far north, Vientiane is further south. You could go into one and out of the other.

I can't imagine that living in a treehouse at the gIbbon experience in the midst of the rainy season would be a great proposition in July. Also, I don't know whether you have seen the reports, but there was a tragic death there a couple of weeks ago http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...aos-treehouse/ not sure whether it is still open or not.

As for beach time, the gulf coast of Thailand will see the best weather, the choice of islands is largely down to the type of place you want e.g. Party or quiet. Koh Samui sees huge numbers of tourists these days but it may still be possible to find somewhere quiet if that what you want. Choose you location carefully, This may help in the process https://www.travelfish.org/islands#thailand

Koh Phang Nghan is famous for its full moon parties so bear that in mind as well.

As far as cities are concerned, definitely spend a few in Bangkok. If you want to splash out on a high end hotel, that is the place to do it as there are some world class hotels at a fraction of the cost you will find elsewhere in the world.

Luang Prabang in Laos is more a small town that a city but may be worth considering. In Cambodia, I love Phnom Penh, indeed it is one of my favourite cities in Asia.

www.booking.com is a good place to start for hotels at all levels. If you provide some idea of your budget per night, I am sure people here will be happy to provide recommendations.

In terms of decent beach weather, in addition to the gulf coast of Thailand, places like Bali, Indonesia, the central coast of Vietnam or even Borneo are worth a look. We will be returning to the Perhentian island off the east coast of Malaysia for some diving this year. A great place to learn if you don't already dive!
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 02:20 PM

See if I get your dates right. Arrive Bangkok July 12 and return home August 2. About 20 days, assuming round trip to and from Bangkok. Bangkok is always worth a visit no matter what season it is. A few days at the beginning of your trip will allow you to get used to time changes and familiarize yourself with the city. My advice if flying home from there schedule a day or two at the end of your holiday so you can do your last minute shopping and be a cheap train or taxi ride to the airport. (Why carry shopping purchases all over Thailand, so do it at the end of the trip.)

Bangkok is cheaper than many beach locations. Cheap city rail service, meter taxis are reasonably priced when you pay the meter fare and not pay a flat rate. Since the city is so big you can't walk to all tourist sites. Most tourist sites close around 5 or 6 pm anyway. You will be using taxis or rail service to get to some tourist points of interest. My advice is a hotel where there are restaurants, malls, nightlife and where Skytrain or city rail service is available. Perhaps Siam or Asoke areas. (Most international flights land at Suvarnabhumi Airport. During the day hours up to around midnight there is rail service to the city area. Bangkok has 2 airports, the other airport is (older and smaller) Don Muang. Both airports have local and international flights. If you schedule flights out of Bangkok know which airport it is.
http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

In Bangkok you can sign on to shared tours in person. Some hotels have tour desks. Otherwise there are many travel agencies offering tours. Select tour one day, leave following morning from your hotel.

* From Bangkok, there is a zip line type tourist destination, "Flight of the Gibbon" not far from Pattaya.
https://www.treetopasia.com/thailand-holiday/bangkok

For Thailand, read up on scams to avoid before becoming a victim. Tuk-tuks show up in some of them. Most Western currency gets a better rate when you change it in Thailand. No old currency, no dirty bills, no tears or writing on them. Lots of places to change money in Bangkok and most other cities.

Koh Phangan is popular with a lot of teenagers who go for the Full Moon Party. At those parties, without mommy and daddy looking on, they get wasted on alcohol and sometimes drugs. Some older tourists avoid the FMP and stay on other parts of the island. Do a Google type search with a laptop and read up on this place and look see if this is for you.

Read up on Koh Samui. Weather should be okay. With a computer Google up "Koh Samui weather for July." Like with any big city area a Google search will give you "things to see and do" advice. Sample:
http://www.kosamui.com/top10-attractions.htm

You could fly to Laos or even Phnom Penh for a few days. There are frequent flights between Thailand and nearby countries. There are some flights direct to Siem Reap for Angkor Wat. Check the weather. Unless something new has come up, these flights for Angkor Wat are not cheap. For Cambodia and Laos review visa requirements. US dollars is used as a de facto currency but you will have to change something to local money so you don't pay a dollar for 10 cent item. (Don't leave Cambodia or Laos with their currency, hard to get ride of it!)

Good luck
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 08:56 PM

Laos is a very beautiful mountainous (hilly) country - many of the people are still incredibly poor.

Vientiane is quite cosmopolitan and could be mistaken for Thailand in parts - it has not succumbed to the rampant hi-rise development of many Thai towns...yet. You will notice a strong Vietnamese presence and this is now being challenged by the Chinese.

One of the nicest things about Vientiane and some other parts of Laos is the French influence - from architecture to fresh baguettes and croissants in the morning and wonderful coffee. Vientiane too has a selection of French restaurants.
the national museum in Vientiane is a sad affair - both in the history it tells and the condition of the building. I believe there is a plan to close it - this would be a tragedy as the whole place is now an exhibit in itself.

in many Laos towns there are also the sometimes ghostly remnants of the French colonial architecture - which is only now being appreciated and even restored by the locals. You will find some people speak better French than English.

Rivertime eco-resort outside if Vientiane on the Ngam Ngum river might be a nice place for a night or two. I haven't stayed there for a few years now.

Vang Vieng has a reputation for rowdy backpackers - I've never found this to be particularly intrusive. The Wasana hotel - get a VIP room - has sweeping views over the river. This area is great for trips into the surrounding countryside -

Hobo maps do absolutely superb maps for Vientiane, Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang - detailing trials for off road and bicycles etc...they also cover other towns and regions.

Luang Prabang is a world heritage site - and sadly IMO somewhat sterile.... however there are still some nice places to stay in the old French colonial quarter. The Hotels on the river front can be very upmarket. Despite the massive amounts of foreign and UN money LP that pickle" this town, LP is a beautiful place and some of the old character is still there. Again trips out of town (see Hobo maps) can be incredibly rewarding.

Other "must sees" in Laos Should include Phonsavan - the plain of jars - allow 2 nights there. Phonsavan will teach you about the horrors of the VN war and the deliberate bombing of cultural sites and civilians by the US at that time

Klong Lor Caves near Tha Kek - allow at least one night there.

ThaKek and Phonsavan are sleepy Mae Kong border towns littered with lovely dilapidated French colonial architecture - I would recommend one or two nights to take in some food and architecture.