Singapore Hotel in Marina District - Moderate Price

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a moderately priced hotel in the marina district. Would love to stay at the Raffles, but we are arriving well after midnight and have only one additional night there before cruising out. I don't think it would be worth the $$$. Same goes for the Ritz. Are there any choices in the $300 (US) range?
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Do you have to be in the Marina District? Actually Raffles isn't in the Marina District.

There are so many options in SIngapore. Take a look at a booking site like www.agoda.com

My favorite is The Fairmont. I love the location above Raffles City Shopping Center and an MRT station. Indeed, being close to an MRT station is a prime consideration for me.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Well, you can tell I don't know anything about Singapore.
I guess I need to do further research. Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 10:17 AM

i'm staying at the intercontintal, which seems a good location
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Bob, I can't picture where the Intercontinental is... is it close to an MRT stop?

The Four Seasons is lovely, but not especially close to an MRT stop. The Grand Hyatt is quite nice, a short block from an MRT stop.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM

kathis...The IC is at Burgis MRT. We are told it is in the same complex. We have not stayed there before , but Bob got a good rate. It seems to be right in the middle of a lot of what a tourist would like to do. It is between the Colonial area and little India area, and not far from the riverside areas. It was so long ago we were in Singapor we will have to get our bearings again.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Hi, Karen, that's a good location. I use the MRT for almost all of my transportation in Singapore. It's quick, efficient and air-conditioned.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM

I really liked the Intercontinental...Right on top of Bugis station. Recently remodelled. Very nice service. We were there in October for 3 or 4 nights.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM

I was looking for a less pricy alternative to the Four Seasons and the Intercon was recommended to me, especially the "shophouse" rooms. Also the Berjaya and Scarlet. I hope to take a look at all three when I'm there next week.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM

i did not choose a shop house room, did i make a mistake??

i can send anyone who wants it the link to get friends and family rates for intercontinentals.....just send me a request at [email protected]
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM

>>>We are looking for a moderately priced hotel in the marina district.<<<

Warm fodor's greetings emckeeve, and if not too late, would propose a few potentially uplifting options.

Suspect your flying 'traitor air' (Cathay Pacific!) into sweet SIN, which is, well, not that cherished Singapore Air (personal/professional reasons, yes), but will still suggest your venturing over to singaporeair.com and checking out various 'holiday packages', including a relatively new 'holiday planning' service. (Nothing to lose by signing up for SIA's newsletter and KrisFlyer programme.)

As for Singapore lodgings, have stayed at all of three: our little private home, the Four Seasons, and from 25-28 February 2010, the Fairmont.

The Fairmont was wonderful: fine staff, room, and last, but not least, 'someone else' paid for the evenings. (Every now and then, fun little corporate gigs for me.) As much as I loved the Fairmont, the Four Seasons remains my special sentimental business (occasional pleasure) travel favourite. Smaller than the Fairmont and most importantly, the wondrous staff. I'm always treated like 'welcome friend and family' at that place. (And, they always 'bend' the late-night, in-room massage hours, if I'm flying in late, and so-inclined for an 'in-house' session.)

Wherever you stay, have fun in sweet SIN.

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 01:57 AM

We took a look at the Intercon and especially the shop house rooms. The design is very nice -- hardwood floors, big "colonial" style windows. The down sides were that they're on the low floors (of course, being shop houses) and are directly overlooking the Bugis Junction mall -- almost at eyelevel. Also, a long convoluted trek from the lobby.

The regular rooms at the Intercon seemed fine. The lobby lounge is spectacular and the coffee shop bright and lively. The area is certainly convenient to a lot of what you'd want to do in Singapore.

We were going to look at the Berjaya but once we saw the neighborhood we kept walking. We're definitely not in the "surrounded by bars and nightlife" demographic! Didn't make it to the Scarlet.

I'm afraid we're stuck with the Four Seasons. We've stayed there so many times it really is like home. Kathie, the MRT is within a five minute walk of the FS -- not too bad though it's getting increasing difficult to cross the street in the Orchard area.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 03:12 AM

<b>emckeeve</b>, someone may have recommended staying in the Marina District as opposed to staying in the Orchard Road area, which is fairly touristy. Or if you are departing for your cruise from the new International Cruise Terminal, which is in Marina South, then the Marina District location would be very close to that. But it’s not like you are going to walk to the pier with luggage, and Singapore is rather small with excellent public transport and reasonable taxi prices. So it really does not matter a whole lot where you stay, IMO.

The “Marina District” is on the water, and includes the Ritz-Carlton, Marina Mandarin, Pan Pacific and some other hotels, but in terms of distance, the Raffles, IC, and Fairmont mentioned above are very close and quite walkable. Either of those areas would be good choices, IMO.

I like the Intercontinental because of it’s location near Arab Street, Bugis Street, etc. It is away from the Orchard Road tourist craziness. It would be a good choice if you want to be near to the ethnic neighborhoods. I also like the location of the <b>Swisshotel Merchant Court</b> (http://www.swissotel.com/EN) because you can walk to Clarke Quay and the Padang museum areas.

I also quite like the <b>Fullerton</b> downtown in the CBD right on the river (in the old main Post Office (see http://www.fullertonhotel.com/). Good location and pool area. It could be over the US$300 budget, and some rooms can be small, but take a look. The Fairmont Singapore mentioned above, or the slightly less luxe (and less expensive) <b>Swisshotel Stamford</b> next to it would be a good choice (see http://www.fairmont.com/singapore and http://www.swissotel.com/EN/), they have a nice pool and the Swisshotel has really good views from the higher floors. (The Swisshotel Stamford is the very tall tower, it used to be a Westin Stamford. The Fairmont is the shorter more luxury hotel next door.) There is a newish <b> Conrad</b> in this area at Suntec city that you might look at as the location may work. (http://conradhotels1.hilton.com) Suntec is just northeast of the Marina District, and is connected to it by several pedestrian walkways and malls.

I have not seen the <b>Marina Mandarin</b> or the <b>Pan Pacific</b> in some years, and they are 1980’s atrium-style hotels (redone rooms of course, but can’t change those bones), but may be in the budget, and for essentially 1 night I am sure would be fine. (see http://www.meritus-hotels.com note that this hotel is not part of the Mandarin Orient chain. For the Pan Pacific see http://www.panpacific.com/singapore/Overview.html)

Not sure the Scarlet or other small hotels would be worth it for essentially one night, esp if you want room service when you arrive in the middle of the night. Room sizes at many of those new, boutique hotels are quite small, so look on websites and make sure you get a decent size room, i.e. 30 square meters at a minimum (esp with cruise luggage).

I don’t know if you checked the Ritz-Carlton, but the last time I stayed there, I got a very good rate, something like US$175 a night. It might be worth checking.

Also try tripadvisor.com where you can search by price. Then perhaps post back with a list for comments.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I was so excited to see beautiful Singapore on THE AMAZING RACE last night. Can't wait to see it for myself!
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM

hey Bob can you use that at other Intercontinentals? if so can you send to me please?