china visa for Canadians

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
china visa for Canadians

Hi all
I am going to China in October I have 2 questions:
1. do Canadians need a visa to enter China?
2. WRT to passport expiration date, does anyone know if my passport has to be valid for another 6 months from my travel date (beginning or end) ?
Thanks Sandy
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 07:44 AM

1. yes
2. yes, 6 months beyond your end date in China
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Everyone needs VISA for China ( well, Australians, Americans, Canadians etc etc)
If it is your first time to CHina, they will give you SINGLE ENTRY VISA for 30 days.
It takes a number of visits before they will give you multiple entry visa.
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info One more question. How far in advance do I have to apply for the visa ?
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM

From my understanding the VISA is only good for 3 months starting the day you get it so you need to enter China before that 3 months. We are going in September and are going to get out VISA's middle of July.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM

Re Questions 1 & 2: Have you heard of Google? 'China consulate Canada' will produce this page:

http://www.chinaembassycanada.org/eng/lsfw/

Everything you wanted to know about Chinese visas for Canadians direct from the horse's mouth. Unfortunately the horse may be slow to update its website, but it's typically even slower to answer the phone, and this is the most accurate information you are going to find.

Re responses:

There are many different types of visas (including multiple entry) available to first-time travellers as well as to others, some requiring supporting documentation and some not. The type of visa obtainable (duration of stay, length of validity, cost) varies according to your nationality, place where you make the application, whether you are of Chinese descent or not, what you choose to declare as your route, whether there are any major stage-managed political events going on (e.g. the Olympics), whether you use an agency, phase of the moon, and the rules change frequently with no notice. Your local consulate may have a big sign saying it only issues visas to groups but issue dozens of visas for independent travel daily.

Currently Canadians applying in Canada for a standard single-entry tourist visa must present a passport valid at least a further six months at the time of application, and can expect to receive a visa allowing entry within the following 90 days (typically 90 days from the day you hand in your passport although collection does not occur for five working days unless extra fees are paid) for a stay of between 30 days and 90 days from date of entry (varies all the time, mostly for political reasons). Applying in Hong Kong, on the other hand, assuming Canadian citizenship without Hong Kong residence rights, will automatically give you a 90-day visa but your visit must end by the expiry date of the visa.

In short, the one-off experiences of other travellers are of little help unless full information on nationality, place of application, time of application, ethnicity, previous travel experience in China, and so on are also provided, and even then the rules may have changed twice between now and when I started this sentence.

Peter N-H