Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Hotel in Singapore, for a young female traveller on her own!

Hotel in Singapore, for a young female traveller on her own!

Feb 14th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster
Hotel in Singapore, for a young female traveller on her own!

I might be stopping in Singapore for a night or two on my way to Sydney, Aus. I wanted to find a good hotel (clean), that does not cost too much (150$CA max, so that is... about 180$SG or so), and most of all that is in a safe place for a women on her own at night/evening.
Thanks a lot for your recommendations!!
Feb 14th, 2004, 05:13 PM
you should maybe consintrate more on location then on safety. where talking about a city state where you can get fined for chewing gum for crying out loud...

is the the 108$ for the 2 days or per night?..

not too tout but check out asiatravel.com. just for comparisons.

They have offices in Singapore so if ya have any probs just walk over and give em a piece of your mind if ya hve too
Feb 14th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Original Poster
180$ is a big maximum per night..
I figured it's what I'd have to spend in order to get a good&clean hotel in a nice place!
Feb 14th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Singapore is remarkably clean and safe. I usually book at www.asia-hotels.com Browse through their selections. Do choose a place that is close to an MRT station, as it's the most convenient transport in Singapore.
Feb 14th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Decent places in Singapore go from around SGD90 a night, in the region of SGD 120-150 you find some really nice places. Singapore is extreamly safe.
Some idea that are close to Orchard Road for shopping would be the Crown Prince, ideal location and reasonable. If you are not into 'high rise' hotels I can throroughly recommend the Royal Peacock in Chinatown, it is a small boutique hotel which oozes character, you half expect Humphrey Bogart to join you at the bar(!!), real classic place. Another is the Inn at Temple Street.
Try this site, also click on their 'To Go' rates which have excellent deals.

Have a great time in Singapore ( Lindsey I sure will come in with some other tips)
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:29 AM

Do you need a hotel? If you are on your own it might be better to go for a hostel so that you can get in touch with people Check out http://www.the-inncrowd.com/...even if you don't stay there the web page has lots of good information about Singapore

Stavanger, Norway
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:53 AM
As other people have indicated, Singapore is an extremely safe place, so as a woman on your own, you do not have to worry. We are expats on assignment here for the past few years and my teenage daughter has been allowed to travel around the city on her own, by taxi and MRT, since she was 14.
I just had quick look at asiatravel.com to see what rates are being offered at a few hotels I think are good locations for leisure travelers. I think the best locations are centered around Orchard Rd., the treelined shopping boulevard that many consider the heart of Singapore. While the MRT is safe, easy and convenient,if you are only here for a few days, I highly recommend taking taxis. They are very cheap, easy to hail just about anywhere and you will get some free sightseeing as you ride around.
Here are some hotel suggestions. Have a look at the websites to see more detail, so you can decide which style suits you best. (Some of these offers involve advance payment, so take that into consideration, if you think you may have last minute changes in plans.)

The Elizabeth is offering $130SG, which includes breakfast, tax and service charges. It is just a short block off Orchard Rd., convenient to many shops and restaurants. Modern, clean, lots of amenities.
Hotel Rendezvous, on Bras Basah, which is the extension of Orchard Rd., is offering $125SG, including breakfast. Another good location, walking distance to Raffles, Chijmes, nd the historic St. Andrews Church. A 15 min walk to the shopping areas of Orchard.
The Gallery Hotel has a very good deal going....$110SG, including breakfast, tax and service charges. Interesting, very contemporary hotel, right on the river. Nice area to stroll. It's also just one block off Mohamed Sultan Rd., THE nightclub hub for young singles here. Lots of good restaurants in walking distance. Excellent (but pricy) Mediterranean restaurant called The Coriander Leaf, in the hotel.

One last idea....The Traders Hotel is offering $140SG, including breakfast, tax and service. This hotel is on Tanglin, across the street from The Regent, which is the other end of Orchard from Bras Basah. This is one the few hotels that it is walking distance to the Botanical Gardens, which makes for a wonderful early morning stroll. Also smack in the middle of heaps of good shopping and restaurants. Nice restaurant for local food (Ah Hoi's Kitchen) by the pool.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more SG questions.
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:55 AM
You have some beautiful (all safe!) choices in your price range. My husband and I enjoyed two wonderful stays in Singapore. The Intercontinental is really nice - wood inlaid foyers, lovely down bedding, gorgeous blue granite bathrooms. The Ritz Carlton is one of the finest properties in all of Singapore and you can occassionaly find weekend rates in the price range you mentioned. Make sure to request a marina view room. You'll never want to leave.
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:24 AM
As others have pointed out Singapore is a very safe city and a woman traveling alone (even walking around late at night) is not at any particular risk.

I heartily "second" the Trader Hotel. Its part of the Shangri La Chain www.shangri-la.com Located just a short walk or cab ride from the hustle and bustle of Orchard Road (and the closests MTR station), this property seems to be a great deal for the price point - the facilities and service level are on par with pricier hotels.

Joining Shangri La's Golden Circle (their loyalty progam which costs nothing to join)gives you access to special promotions including special rates as well as the potential to upgrade to their club level for a very small incremental increase in the room rate. You should be able to get something in your price range (and feel like you've gotten a lot more value than what you paid for).

Ah Hoi's Kitchen (by the pool) is great - local type food reasonably priced (the Sri Lankan chili crab is wonderful!)
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Original Poster
wow! thanks so much everyone!! lots of valuable information!
it's made me feel way better about going to singapore! actually, im getting really excited about it!
Anyways.. thanks!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread