Siem Reap or Chiang Mai

Search

Siem Reap or Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siem Reap or Chiang Mai

If you had to choose between the two on a first visit to Asia, which would it be? We are not interested in the hill tribes or the national parks. Aside from those, is Chiang Mai a better choice than Siem Reap? If it is Siem Reap, what is the least amount of time you would recommend needing for that stop?
Thanks again for your help. I am finding it so difficult to make decisions and time is getting too close..We leave on October 22. Also, is it very time consuming to re-enter Thailand from Cambodia?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:46 PM

Personally, I find Chaing Mai rather boring, though there are others on this board who love it.

Are you interetsed in ancient Khmer temples? If so, there is no contest. Angkor is truly one of the wonders of the world. But if you feel like if you've seen one temple, you've seen them all, then don't go. You can fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap and return non-stop on Bangkok Air. Passing in and out of the countries is quick and efficient. If, however, you are planning on going overland from Thailand to Siem Reap, do your homework first by reading www.talesofasia.com so you know exactly what to do (and what not to do). Generally, it takes a full three days to see the major temples at Angkor. Remember there are many dozens of temples there.

Do your reseacrh ahead of time to know best what you'd enjoy. You are welcome to preview Angkor at www.marlandc.com
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:51 PM

Having been to Chiang Mai but not Siem Reap, I would say Siem Reap. After all, Angkor Wat is a major attraction that is becoming inundated with tourists whereas Chiang Mai is a secondary city in Thailand (also getting its share of tourists). In a few short years, Siem Reap will never be the same (maybe it is almost too late - I hope not as we will be there in February) while Chiang Mai probably has more ability to accomodate the growth in tourism.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM

craig and kathie have given you good advice, imo...CM is cooler than bkk or SR and has a few temples of note, some trips out into the countryside, some good shopping (also available in bkk), some so so restaurants and some decent hotels at all price ranges..

SR is not a nice town physically, imo...there are many hotels there at mid- to high prices....there are also cheaper guest houses...prices are inflated...the whole place is there to support the tourist industry for angkor...having said that i would easily choose it over CM!!!..four days is perfect...imo...3 is ok...2 too few...5 too many...
fly from bkk on bkk air...overly expensive....about twice the price of a flight to CM...

THE TEMPLES HOWEVER ARE UNBELIEVABLE AND WORTH EVER SECOND OF YOUR TIME...

choose a nice hotel with a pool...generally you tour in the morning, return to the hotel for 3 hours and then tour again until dark...

there is a visit to the lake nearby which many like...i have not done it...

i tire easily from ruins but these held my interest totally...

its siem reap for sure!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:17 PM

returning to thailand will be exactly the same as when you first arrived there....

you need a visa for cambodia btw...on arrival is the easiest...bring several passport pics with you as you need them for the temple pass as well..
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:12 PM

If you are interested in temples, it's no contest -- Siem reap.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:57 PM

I agree with Vraig. I ahve been to Siem reap twice and the second time, in just 6 months, the development amazed me. I fear that 5 years hence with the proposed addition of 400,000 hotel rooms or some such bizarre number it may lose a great deal of its charm. I like Chinag Mai but I am passionate about SR - go, you won't regret it!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:00 PM

Sorry - just saw the second part of your question. I did Sr in 4 days my first trip and in 2 my second. 2 was VERy rushed. 4 works well at a relaxed pace. If you choose to do 3 book the first flight from Bkk to SR and the 6 PMish one back so you get 3 full days. Book soon coz everyone wants the same flights. Try to avoid the last flight back from SR - the temples close at dusk and you will be unnecessarily sitting at the airport having checked out of your hotel. The airport is just 10 mins from Angkor Wat so a great chance to take a last look at the main temple then proceed directly to the airport.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:13 AM

Hobbes-- when i read about Angkor today I'm glad I went in the early 90s even if my hotel accomodation was uninspeakable,and if we were worried about khner rouge and landmines. I was with a group of 12 and during our time there we saw a total of 2 other tourists. We had the temples to ourselves.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:33 AM

Gloria, on my second trip in Feb, 2004 I could not believe how many construction sites I saw. It is still a fabulos experience, wil be for a while and I enjoyed it thoroughly both times. But I also believe that unless the govt takes a very planned view of development it is in danger of losing a great deal of its charm.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Once again, thanks to all of you for your help. Siem reap it is!! You are the most motivating group..I can't wait for my trip next month. I'll be leaving from New York (Newark) on October 22 to take care of some business in Singapore before I start my Bangkok vacation. Anyone else on that flight? Any good suggestions for surviving an 18 1/2 hour non-stop flight? I need a little encouragement to get through it.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:13 AM

what airline are you on? Where do you stop and are you in economy? Also what time do you leave and take off?
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

I am flying on Singapore Air. They have "executive economy" on their non-stop flight. I am considering this. In the end, I may just go for the business class seat. The flight leaves at 11 p.m. Have you ever done this kind of trip in economy? I need to book within the next day or two..help.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 02:42 AM

If you fly business on Singapore you will have no problem at all. You'll eat well, drink well and sleep well.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement..For someone who hates to fly, I'm actually looking forward to the Singapore Air experiience.
By the way..has anyone seen the newest Conde Nast magazine? It's all about Asia with a great photo of Siem Reap. So..the advice on this board was way ahead of Conde Nast!
Thank you one and all.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 06:08 AM
ccc

We flew on that flight when we went to Asia this summer and it was the best flight I have ever been on. My wife and I were in business class and I went to sleep over Nova Scotia and woke up over the Black Sea. My children were in the back and that too was great. Even though I am very tall I think executive economy would have been very doable given the extra legroom and seatback tv's that Singapore gives you on that flight.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Okay...We have our tickets! Thanks to the folks on this board I took the plunge. Now that I'm on my way..what hotel would you suggest in Siem Reap? (We decided on the Peninsula in BKK.) Are there any restaurants in Bangkok that you feel we shouldn't miss?
I contacted Ratt and we will be using her as our driver. If we are going to be in BKK for 4 days, how many days do you think we need her?
Thanks again.
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Bob has done an excellent post on restaurants. Here are my top suggestions:
1. Bed Supper Club
2. China House in Oriental Hotel
3/ Lord Jim in Oriental Hotel
5. Sky Bar for a drink

How many days you should have Ratt depends on what you want to do and experience. What your interests are in Bangkok.