Chiang Mai vs Angkor Wat

Search

Chiang Mai vs Angkor Wat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiang Mai vs Angkor Wat

I am planning a 11 day vacation to SE Asia at the end of September. We're planning on spending 4 days in Bangkok and the remainder of our time in either Angkor Wat or Chiang Mai.

Which should I choose? I hear both are beautiful and I'm having a hard time deciding.

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:06 AM

Not even a question or a hestitation: Angkor Wat.

You really cannot compare the beauty of it to anything in the area--especially Chiang Mai!

Trust me, I love CM, but it is not something I'd describe as 'beautiful'.

That said, if you have 7 remaining days to spend, split them between both places--you only need 3 whole days/nights to see Angkor and 3 nights in Chiang Mai (or just outside it) would be a perfect vacation all-in, I'd say.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:18 AM

This question gets asked with some frequency. Indeed, some else just asked it last week. Take a browse through the threads, I think that one was called Angkor Wat or Chiang Rai?

Angkor is one of the wonders of the world. If you have any interest in Angkor, go now, as Siem Reap is changing rapidly.

Chiang Mai - well some ppeople love it, others are left uninspired. Frankly, I find CM pretty boring.

While I usually agree with filmwill, I disagree about trying to squeeze in all three places in a mere 11 days. You'll be happier and will expereince more by choosing two locations. Travel from one place to another takes time, and with three places, you'd end up feeling like you didn't see much of any of them.

While we spent a week at Angkor, you don't have to spend that much time there. It takes three full days to see the major temples, so some time between 4 and 7 days is probably the right range. I'd spend the rest of my time in Bangkok. Your split might be 5 days in one, six in the other.

Do some research on Angkor to get a better sense of how much time you want there. Buy Dawn Rooney's book on Angkor, you are welcome to browse our Angkor photos at www.marlandc.com, and take a look at www.theplf.org for somehting else to think about doing in Siem Reap.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Angkor Wat without a doubt. As Kathie rightly points out Siem Reap is changing rapidly. I first went there about 6 years ago and returned earlier this year. I was really shocked by the amount of development in Siem Reap and by how crowded the temples were. Hopefully, the authorities (or the oil company that runs the site!)will see sense and limit the no. of vistors in order to preserve teh site as it is now showing signs of serious damage. Go now and spend at least three full days better still 4/5 and go out to some of teh more remote temples.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. Angkor Wat it is. Can't wait to see it.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM

wwoib - Just be sure you are not the type that gets templed out after a few hours. 7 days in Angkor Wat- you gotta really like temples.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Personally I would reverse the order- 7 days in Bangkok and the remainder in Angkor- there is so much more to do and see in Bangkok.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Or if you are like us on our last trip (which was our 2nd to Siem Reap) we had 11 days there & were sad to leave!
J
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Do your research on Angkor - that will help you decide how much time to spend there.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I'm the sort who gets templed out after about 3 days. The plan right now is 3 days in Angkor Wat and the rest in Bangkok. It helps that I have friends in Bangkok who are ready and willing to house us while we're there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already ordered Dawn Rooney's book.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM

Great! Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM

Sounds perfect! Have a wonderful trip.