Luang Prabang or Siem Reap

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi...my bf and i are spending two weeks in SE Asia in March...mostly in Thailand...Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Krabi. We want to spend 2 nights either in Luang Prabang or Siem Reap...both are direct flights from Bangkok so logistically are the same. Any thoughts on these two places and how they might compliment the rest of our trip?
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both require more than two nights. They are quite different: you go to Siem Reap to see the (old) temples at Angkor Wat, which takes a minimum of three full days (four nights) for a reasonable visit; you go to Luang Prabang to chill out, soak up the ambiance, visit the (current) temples, and maybe take a boat ride. I would suggest spending the two nights in Thailand, and saving Cambodia and Laos for when you can do them justice.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I agree with Thursdays. In two weeks, (likely 12 days on the ground in Asia) you have just barely enough time to visit three places: Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Krabi. If you'd prefer to visit either Luang Prabang or Siem Reap instead of one of those locations, by all means, make the substitution. Otherwise, as Thursdays says, save these locations for another time.

We have photos of both Siem Reap and Luang Prabang on our website, if you'd like to take a look and see whether you'd prefer a nights there rather than time in either Chiang Mai or Krabi.

www.marlandc.com
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM

My advice is to skip Chiang Mai and add Luang Prabang. It's much more of a laid back place than CM. On the other hand, the temples at Siem Reap are unique and amazing. It is getting overbuilt. If you want to see them, you should go as soon as possible. Either way, drop Chiang Mai and fill in with either LP or SR. Krabi will be a nice break.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Our vote is Siem Reap....find someone who will guide you in a way to avoid the tours and tour buses (it can be done)...Our guide either had us arriving 1/2 hour after the buses left each destination...or flipped the whole day around....What a difference.
Go quick.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM

gpanda is right....do LP for a few days...
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:26 PM

just return from our BEST TRIP Vietnam & Cambodia. my suggestion if going to Siem Reap Angkor please afford 3nights, then you will have more to to explore much templs.

Day 1. Fly into Siem Reap.
PM. visit Prasat Kravan, Srah Srang, Banteay Kdei, Eastern Mebon & sunset at Pre Rup.

Day 2. AM visit Bayon Temples (enjoy 20min elephant ride from the gate to Bayon), Phimeanakas, elephants terrace and leper king.
PM. Angkor Wat until sunset.

Day 3. AM visit Banteay Srei and Jungle Temple TA PROHM.
PM. visit Preah Khan, Neak Paon and Ta Som.

Day 4. AM visit floating village boat ride on the Tonle sap lake, then back hotel and airport onward flight Bangkok.

Happy holiday

Daniel
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 01:36 AM

I much prefer Luang Prabang over Siem Reap but I guess much depends upon what intersts you (whether you are into ruins or not). We visited Siem Reap about 7/8 years back and again last year. On our second visit Icould not believe the growth in the size of the town and the deterioration of the temples. If you want to go, go now before it is totally ruined (NPI!). I agree Gpanda about skipping CM. I actually like the place but you have too little time in you 2 weeks,